FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How are the stripers hitting?  (Read 4334 times)

Fish Farmer

How are the stripers hitting?
« on: May 10, 2019, 11:54 AM »
Hi,

I'm heading down to the Charlestown area next week. I know a few areas to target via flyrodding. What is the bait situation like, I've heard herring are around. I'm shore bound so I'll be either walking beaches or fishing some backwaters via canoe/foot with fly rod or spin tackle.

Any help appreciated.

lowaccord66

Re: How are the stripers hitting?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 12:53 PM »
Herring always arrive much earlier than the bass.  Id be after the worm hatch if I was down that way.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 03:16 PM »
You should not have an issue getting into schoolies. You may even catch some "keepers". Like Jon said, worm hatch if you are in the salt ponds. If at the breahways or beaches, some small swim baits or parachute rigs will do the trick as will small jigs and spoons. Mackerel are not far behind either. some reports of scup are also around.
Wicked Wec

Fish Farmer

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 09:58 AM »
Thanks guys!

The worms are all tied up...got schooled on the hatch a couple years ago.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 08:17 AM »
Good luck and have fun. Let us know how you do.
Wicked Wec

Fish Farmer

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 09:37 PM »
On Friday the 17th I fished Quonnie Pond from mid morning to midday on the outgoing as well as in the afternoon on the incoming. No activity, very few fisherman fishing and the ones I talked to had some success with 2 foot bass at the Charlestown Breachway the day before, but had to work for them.

The next day I fished the top of the high tide(mid morning) through early afternoon at the Charlestown Breachway. I landed one 26" bass on a spoon, biggest bass I've ever landed. That was the only bass I saw landed that day. Many people fishing the breachway and the backwater areas. I even saw some squid in one of the side channels inside the breachway. That evening I tossed some lures off the beach in Misquamicut, there were birds hitting what I think were squid far out for about an hour. I noticed a squid boat out that night and there were several boats fishing this morning there.

I wasn't able to fish my worm spot in the national refuge since they weren't keeping it open past sunset.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Great effort non the less! Thanks for posting!
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.