MyFishFinder Tips and Techniques > Jigging

jiggin for eyes

<< < (5/6) > >>

Mooter:

--- Quote from: baitman69 on Jul 18, 2006, 10:47 AM ---Does anyone pour their own jigs.  Have been trying they are still coming out looking like s*** not sure what I am doing wrong here.  I let them set after pouring about 10 mins is this to long? :o

--- End quote ---

Another tip is to make sure you use fairly pure lead.  Scrape the slag off good.  I always used old tire weights and never had a problem plus they we free from the local tire store.

shortgame247:
Lot of good info here, thank you all for the tips

boondox:

--- Quote from: baitman69 on Jul 18, 2006, 10:47 AM ---Does anyone pour their own jigs.  Have been trying they are still coming out looking like s*** not sure what I am doing wrong here.  I let them set after pouring about 10 mins is this to long? :o

--- End quote ---

ten minute is to long you need the lead mold hot to do the pouring get some welding gloves and a spoon to remove the hook screw drivers might damage the mold since I use a all metal spoon I ladle off some of the bad lead with it after fluxing.. set the mold on top at start up with it full of hook when it reaches temp start pouring use the spoon to remove the lead covered hooks  then pour again with in a minute of the last batch the more you pour the better the lead flows in to the small pockets of the mold smoking the mold will help no mater what but keep the mold hot... I take one glove off to add hook etc In to the mold some time it burns finger tips adding hook swivels etc..so be warned it not fun so do it quick and close it up.. put glove back on and pour again and again and again btw there is a new tackle making post please join in...

also I use lunker city soft plastics in fin-s-minnows when jigging for eyes but were all fishing different waters...       

Mac Attack:
Also depends on the quality of the lead that you are using.
There is some really crap lead out there.
Old wheel balancing weights always worked well for me.
I had printer lead that didn't look as good way back.

boondox:

--- Quote from: Attack on Mar 01, 2016, 10:24 AM ---Also depends on the quality of the lead that you are using.
There is some really crap lead out there.
Old wheel balancing weights always worked well for me.
I had printer lead that didn't look as good way back.

--- End quote ---

your right there to I had the pot foam up and had to dump it all out. had small particles get Into the lead in another pot I had to dump out twice cause it was the pour spout kind you use for making bullets and the pot corded away a little from the heat and cast iron  that's why I ditched my herters pot and went with a lee precision magnum melter ..  if you need lead go to the source divers or even scrap suppliers  we got a placed less then ten miles from me I by lead 100 -300 pound for .70 cent a pound and if I go to the divers it is .35 cent a pound.. the old scrap worked out the best cause they had tons of it on hand from factories scrap... and it is cheaper then ebay at 1.60 a pound  I been trying to find a form for a 2 pound surf claw form but no one had one...best so far is rock cod sinkers or even inline trolling sinkers 3 daisy chained together and a split ring to make the triangle...but for sure check the scrap yards and diver in the area see if they got extra even lures or even diver clubs let them know I buy scrap lead! approach them heck it makes them money for diver session or lessons ,air, new equipment,etc if you let them know I am looking for ton of lead they help out and make some money in the process.. this is ware divers  get a bad names from fisher men cause there under  water and cut people lines but get good names helping you collect old scrap lead... and helping the enviorment.. but ya ask around I am sure there ton out there it not trade on the stock market for .35 cent a pound for nothing last I looked...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version