FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Squid Help  (Read 7356 times)

0Dark30

Squid Help
« on: Jul 16, 2012, 07:55 AM »
Any tips on how to catch squid. I took the little guys out fishing on Saturday and we saw tons of squid but only caught 3. We have squid jigs but the just didn't seem too interested in hitting alot. The boys thought it was cool to see them but lost interest in it after a lack of catching. Any help would be great thank you.
Vegetarian= Ancient Indian word for bad fisherman!

JDK

Re: Squid Help
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2012, 08:03 AM »
Back in my squid fishing days, we used to take the commercial jigs and cut both baskets off.  Take a white Bic pen, cut it to about an inch to 1 1/2 inches and through wire a single basket to it.  They would far outfish the commercial jig.

# SAND

0Dark30

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2012, 08:16 AM »
Back in my squid fishing days, we used to take the commercial jigs and cut both baskets off.  Take a white Bic pen, cut it to about an inch to 1 1/2 inches and through wire a single basket to it.  They would far outfish the commercial jig.

I had seen your post on that earlier and have made 3 of them. They were what we caught the ones we caught on.

buddah

• Stick'em!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2012, 09:40 AM »
I assume your fishing for them at night under some sort of light?If so the Yo zuri squid jigs will out fish the generic ones 10-1,especially if fished 3 on a line with a glow one in the middle...

......................http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/product.php/pid/3/sid/34/tid/189/prodid/19071...

.............................these generic ones suck......................

Change up your technique a lot,sometimes they like a real erratic jigging motion,other times they like it barely moving.Another thing that helps a lot is bringing a small bucket of mackeral or herring cut up into real small chunks.Throw a handful of chunks in when you see the squid and that will get them frenzied up somewhat,then throw your jigs in right behind the chunks.I just had a big calamari feed last night,they are great eating.Good luck.

0Dark30

« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2012, 10:11 AM »
I assume your fishing for them at night under some sort of light?If so the Yo zuri squid jigs will out fish the generic ones 10-1,especially if fished 3 on a line with a glow one in the middle...

......................http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/product.php/pid/3/sid/34/tid/189/prodid/19071...

.............................these generic ones suck......................

Change up your technique a lot,sometimes they like a real erratic jigging motion,other times they like it barely moving.Another thing that helps a lot is bringing a small bucket of mackeral or herring cut up into real small chunks.Throw a handful of chunks in when you see the squid and that will get them frenzied up somewhat,then throw your jigs in right behind the chunks.I just had a big calamari feed last night,they are great eating.Good luck.

thanks, we are fishing them at night . Will try to chum them next time to see if it helps. Do you tip the jig with bait too? Thanks agai. Am trying to get 2 little boys hooked on fishing, so catching is an important part of the gettin them hooked process cause at 8 and 6 no action equals dad I am bored and almost as bad is dad we can see them why arent we catching them

buddah

• Stick'em!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2012, 10:32 AM »
thanks, we are fishing them at night . Will try to chum them next time to see if it helps. Do you tip the jig with bait too? Thanks agai. Am trying to get 2 little boys hooked on fishing, so catching is an important part of the gettin them hooked process cause at 8 and 6 no action equals dad I am bored and almost as bad is dad we can see them why arent we catching them

I don't bait the jigs,it doesn't really stay on.If I was rigging like JDK I would try threading a piece of bait down on top of the piece of pen,bet it would work real well.

rude the dude

• when can we go again?
« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2012, 07:22 PM »
I grind the jig into some chum, it doesn't stay on long but seems to make them hit it. 8)

greyghost

« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2012, 07:56 PM »
Now where are some good places to go. (i am not looking for exact spots) but i have never fished for squid but could you catch them running up a river say the sheepscot or is it something you would have to do by going offshore a bit?

0Dark30

« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2012, 08:58 PM »
Now where are some good places to go. (i am not looking for exact spots) but i have never fished for squid but could you catch them running up a river say the sheepscot or is it something you would have to do by going offshore a bit?
We are seeing them at night under lights in the boothbay area, and i have been hearing about them all down the coast also. Right off the docks and piers

0Dark30

« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2012, 08:59 PM »
I grind the jig into some chum, it doesn't stay on long but seems to make them hit it. 8)
I am going to try to slide my pen jig inside a half smelt and see if they hit it.

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2012, 05:56 AM »

There’s been a bunch up in Somes Sound. They were catching a few off em off the docks there during the day. Probably a good chance a night, for anyone interested around MDI. They catch em off the Bar Harbor Pier too. There are big street lights there that bring em in!
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

saltyshores

« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2012, 07:08 AM »
Way back in the early 1980's when there were huge schools of herring Downeast, we used to pick up squid at night on an ebb tide along the beaches. The squid were chasing herring and often their method of jet propulsion would "ground them out" on the beach as they propelled themselves in a direction where there was no water. We walked along with a Coleman light and when we heard their squirting sound, we would go to the edge of the tide and pick them up in buckets. Once we had enough, we cleaned and rinsed them right on the beach, then went home, stripped them up and fried them in deep fat. Delicious!!

Have anay of you done this in your areas of Maine? It must happen elsewhere.

0Dark30

« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2012, 08:56 AM »
Any thoughts on where to find squid over by belfast area? Will they go up the river at all? Thanks for all the help and ideas guys we are headed back out to try again tonight weather permitting.

pegasus

« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2012, 09:12 AM »
the water is full of them down here on the island. They are so thick some will jump up on the selling float and the crates of lobster.
Stop eating the bait and let's go fishing!

fishingsurveyor

« Reply #14 on: Jul 17, 2012, 12:53 PM »
Way back in the early 1980's when there were huge schools of herring Downeast, we used to pick up squid at night on an ebb tide along the beaches. The squid were chasing herring and often their method of jet propulsion would "ground them out" on the beach as they propelled themselves in a direction where there was no water. We walked along with a Coleman light and when we heard their squirting sound, we would go to the edge of the tide and pick them up in buckets. Once we had enough, we cleaned and rinsed them right on the beach, then went home, stripped them up and fried them in deep fat. Delicious!!

Have anay of you done this in your areas of Maine? It must happen elsewhere.

yeah and also find them in the pools at low tide

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.