FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Adirondacks  (Read 13758 times)

keva

Adirondacks
« on: Mar 14, 2010, 09:29 AM »
I was thinking about making a trip to the Adirondacks for a little back packing and trout fishing. I was wondering if you guys had any tips as to an area that has some nice streams and trout ponds that are a good hike in. I would not mind hiking in for two or three days, as long as I could fish a little along the way. Also, around what time can I expect these ponds to be free of ice? Any help is greatly appreciated!

fzrpilot6

Re: Adirondacks
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2010, 11:00 AM »
hey keva,  im by no means an expert on adks trout fishing but we go up to my buddies camp numerous times a year in Indian Lake.  We seem to do pretty good with trout around that area, the hudson headwaters, cedar river and flow are our usual spots.  there are a ton of ponds, lakes and streams around that area.  i know Indian Lake has a bunch of primitive campsites run by the state that are free just need to sign in.  maybe you could get a campsite as a base of operations to fish out of.  Im sure there are plenty of other good places to go but this is the only place im that familiar with.  i dont know when the ice will be off.  we went icefishing up there a couple weeks ago and there were !8" of ice.

NateFishNY

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2010, 11:12 AM »
the pharaoh lakes area can be a great spot to hike, camp and fish... lots of ponds and lakes that hold browns, rainbows and brooks, i believe theres quite a few lean-toos as well... late april- early may is good time (also before the black flies get bad)

celt6

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2010, 01:32 PM »
+ one for pharaoh, also rt2 left, on Exit 28 towards Newcomb, along the Boreas, plenty of opportunities.

GT66PONY

« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2010, 09:28 AM »

Moose river is a great place to fish,Camp> I go there for a week every year!!! I catch quite a few fish now that I got it figured out!!
                                                           Gary

birdman1980

« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2010, 01:55 PM »
we do a good number of trout in the begining of black river during turkey season when were there

Ranger_Bound

• S-130/S-190 training at the Ranger School
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2010, 04:48 PM »
Check out the Five Ponds Wilderness Area and the Cranberry Lake Wild Forest. They are all natives up there and FYI the old state record brookie came out of the five ponds wilderness area. In the Cranberry Lake wild forest try Curtis Pond, or Dog Pond, and for the Five ponds area try Olmstead Pond, Cowhorn Pond, or the actual Five ponds for which the area is named for. Most of these ponds are located along the Cranberry Lake 50. If you go up there make sure you have a blood transfusion with you ready to go because you will need it from all the blackflies and mosquito bites!! Good Luck.

Dan_lais

• waiting for ice.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2010, 07:02 PM »
Murphy lake is a good one.off creek rd off rte 30.3 mile walk and 2 other lakes on the way in.lean too on murphy and boats hidden but easy to find.

Fish-N-Adventures

• Fish on!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2010, 07:34 PM »
If you go up there make sure you have a blood transfusion with you ready to go because you will need it from all the blackflies and mosquito bites!! Good Luck.
So true about the ADKs in the spring. A bug suit and cans of OFF! is a must.  ;)

Dan_lais

• waiting for ice.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2010, 02:39 PM »
cigars help keep the bugs off your face but they are bad for your health.lol.reality is bugs are coming but if the bite is on its worth it.

celt6

« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2010, 04:25 PM »
DEET 100 on the visor of your old cap, head net, and off you go...second week of june till last weekend, blakflie heaven!!! " defenders of the Wilderness..."

1fish@atime

« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Just a note, don't plan on a boat to use. DEC spent two months pulling them, including use of helicopter....
So where was that in the budget??? Heard they got between 100-200 boats. Good news is if you have the info of your you can buy it back!!!!

Ranger_Bound

• S-130/S-190 training at the Ranger School
« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2010, 07:23 PM »
Just a note, don't plan on a boat to use. DEC spent two months pulling them, including use of helicopter....
So where was that in the budget??? Heard they got between 100-200 boats. Good news is if you have the info of your you can buy it back!!!!
Really?!?! All the ECO's and Ranger I worked with didn't have a problem with stashed canoes, only had a problem with them being chained....

adkbrookie

« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2010, 10:45 PM »
get a map and a stocking list and have at it.

hope there's some boats left... if people just left theirs (and the ones they borrow) back into the woods a mite bit there'd be no problem.

chaser99

« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2010, 07:30 PM »
try moose river plains,lots of ponds ,streams and camping.most boats are removed because they are damaged.people chained them,so others damaged them.thats what started the removal.a few bad incidents ruin it for all,isnt that always the way!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.