FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey BigRed is this a mirror carp?  (Read 2391 times)

Trophy Hunter639

Hey BigRed is this a mirror carp?
« on: May 19, 2005, 10:07 PM »
I caught this 30" 13.1lb carp on monday it was missing a bunch of scales looked rough but gave a great battle! 8) It kind of looks similar to those mirror carp you posted I have only caught common carp around here before and have never caught one like this before.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Hey BigRed is this a mirror carp?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 11:31 PM »
Yes that is a mirror carp, nice fish man!! 

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 08:51 AM »
COOL Thanks bud 8) Right on my first mirror 8) 8) 8)

troutbum

• Wish I was Fishing!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 09:05 AM »
great fish trophyhunter, I bet that put up a heck of a fight :)
"Nature hides her secrets because of her essential loftiness, but not by means of ruse."
Einstein

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 10:05 AM »
Thanks TB! It gave me an awesome battle on 10lb power pro and a 6.6ft med light rod it jumped on the hookset then ran all over the place pulling us in a 14ft jonboat ;D It even ran into the reeds but the power pro held up and I got it out :o It was my first time trying that line and I'm sold mono wouldn't have held up to that fight 8)

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 09:35 AM »
TH wow man I just learned something also. I had no idea we had mirror carp in our lakes or rivers. Cool man. easy on the mono buddy I am still old school towards that stuff. ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

Shawner

• I'm goin' fishin'
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 09:59 AM »

Nice fish, there are mirror carp in alot of the area waters because they are common carp. Mirror carp have a genetic problem that causes that scale pattern. They stack up hard and heavy in the Seneca River and the canal, thats where I've seen alot of the mirror's. They try to get past the control structures that border the Montezuma complex in the spring, but can't so you have an opportunity to see hundreds all stacked up trying to get up and past the concrete/steel gates of the control structure. Last year I watched three guys in a row boat having a ball, catching these carp in front of the control stucture. No sooner did one bring a carp in, cast right back out and nail another. They did that for hours, just catching and releasing and every fourth or fifth for example was a mirror. Cool stuff!

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 10:06 AM »
Shawner to be honest that is the first mirror carp I have seen here in manitoba. Did not know they were common out here in the far north. ;D ;D ;D

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 02:13 PM »
TH wow man I just learned something also. I had no idea we had mirror carp in our lakes or rivers. Cool man. easy on the mono buddy I am still old school towards that stuff. ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

Easy on the mono is right BW!! That stuff is WEAK ;) ;D Seriously though the power pro is awesome ZERO stretch and tough as hell try it and you WILL like it ;D

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 02:44 PM »
Hey trophy can that line handle the huge cat's you catch. :-\ :-\

flags a flyin

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 05:02 PM »
I am a huge supporter of power pro.  You can catch anything on it.  and it only gets better with age.  It turns from green to white.  at that point it is the best.  it is so nice and limp you can cast it a country mile.  I have it on the bait caster and on the spinning gear.  I guess they have 8 lbs (1lbs dia.) now.  I will not use mono again.

AirManCam

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 07:58 PM »
If you dont mind me asking, what were you using to catch that beauty 8)
Iceshanty=AirManCam
MyhuntingForum=BigBuckTaker16

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 09:12 AM »
AMC caught that carp on nightcrawlers on a small three way rig :)

buzzbomb

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2005, 01:25 PM »
The recessive gene that causes the large irregular scales on mirrors and the 'linears' that just have 1 row of scales, and the true leather carp,with no scales isn't just by accident.  One story is that monks in the 16th century interbred those fish found with the fewest scales to produce scaleless fish so they'd be easier to clean.  They're rare as rocking horse droppings up here in Canada, but quite normal in some American waters.  I've only heard of 1 being caught where I fish, and 2 other sightings.  Like in so many other things, the more you have, the more you get.. :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.