FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: FRS Radios / VHF Radios  (Read 4231 times)

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
FRS Radios / VHF Radios
« on: Mar 09, 2004, 07:23 AM »
Just like last year I will plan to carry a FRS radio with me on the water. Talked with some iceshanty folks even during the winter months.  Channel 7,  No privacy codes.

With the VHF radio what channel does everyone prefer to listen/talk on?

(I am new to VHF radios, just got a brand new one in last night)

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

packerbacker

Re: FRS Radios / VHF Radios
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2004, 07:04 PM »
Jon,
I use channel 7. 0 privacy code on my FRS.
packerbacker

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2004, 07:44 AM »
No one talks on there VHF radio on the water?

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

unreel

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2004, 09:04 AM »
BSJ, the different areas of the lake seem to congregate on different chanels.  Around Sodus they seem to be on 07, 09, & 72,  around Hugh's they seem to like 68, Braddocks...72  etc.  watch for skip days usually when it's nice and clear.   I was off of Chimney Bluffs( east bay) talking to a friend that was so clear that you thought he was the next boat over, yet he was fishing off Devil's Nose (Hamlin beach!!)  approx. 70 miles away!!  If your radio has a scan feature you may be able to check which station the locals are using.

Channel 16 is a distress station.
check: http://www.boatingmadesimple.com/VHF_Radio.htm#VHFRadioChannels
I hope this helps.

guy

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2004, 12:40 PM »
unreel,

Welcome to the site!

Thanks for your info. I was programming things last night and got 72 and 68 in there programmed to scan. Being close to Sodus I have heard those were popular. I also have a overal scan that goes through all the channels.

I got the raio programmed in this order so far....Channel 16, NOAA Weather, 68, 72.

Give me a hollar if you are out on the water.

Thanks again for the info.

Jon

baginwal

• MFF Mod Team
  • No Politics Just Fish!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2004, 05:53 PM »
Jon,
If you are ever trolling the waters of Henderson Harbor, give me a shout.  We use Channel 19 or 7.

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2004, 09:06 AM »
Bagiwal,

I will be traveling this year with the boat, My Dad used to fish there, might have to add it to my list.

Jon

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.