FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga 2021  (Read 108061 times)

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
Re: Great Sacandaga 2021
« Reply #435 on: Sep 26, 2021, 08:53 AM »
H2l good job on the fish, are they still letting water out, last time I went the docks were quite far out.
With the rain we got Thursday it came up about 7 or 8 inches. Yesterday the water was up to the bottom of the dock...h2l

iceman260

« Reply #436 on: Oct 08, 2021, 07:11 AM »
My cousin fished the lake yesterday with another guy, he said they caught 7 keepers in 28ft. of water. I couldn't go had to take my wife to doctors.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #437 on: Apr 10, 2022, 06:19 AM »
The ice has been gone on the Northville end for a few days. Friday there was some still some out in the main lake, but it wasn't looking like it would last long.
With the rain the lake came up over 4 feet since Thurs./Friday. It is at the normal level you would see early May.
The streams and rivers are very high and really running. May not be a good sign for a walleye run. I just hope they hadn't sprawed already.
Hope everyone has a good Winter. Season opens in 3 weeks....h2l

bauls25

• AKA paul23
« Reply #438 on: Apr 27, 2022, 08:35 AM »
Anyone know why the state doesnt stock walleye in Sac?   Seems odd.

62 & Done

« Reply #439 on: Apr 27, 2022, 05:11 PM »
Not enough forage for the fish that are already in there. Local clubs stock trout and the pike love them.   Dead Sea

bauls25

• AKA paul23
« Reply #440 on: Apr 28, 2022, 05:28 AM »
Hmm.  Just emailed DEC.  See what they say.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #441 on: Apr 28, 2022, 07:10 AM »
I have asked that question many times over the years. No one seems to have an answer. The bass seem to be able to find enough food. The natural spawn can be too "hit or miss" each Spring. From what I saw this Spring was a MISS, last years wasn't much better.
Back in the 70's I believe they use to stock some in the lake. They also shocked and tagged walleyes in the Spring. We caught many of the tagged ones in the following years and from the info we received back they were growing, but not very fast. That said, looking at the records I kept we seemed to be catching more (NOT A LOT) fish in the low 20" range than I have caught in the past 5 or 10 years.

Bauls25, you know this, a few years ago the lake was on FIRE, it was nothing to go out and catch a walleye on almost every jig drop. I wouldn't even go on the water without 5 or 6 dozen of worms. Many were legal but many shorts mixed in. Two years ago was a tough year, last year a little better. Over my, close to 60 years of fishing and living on the lake it has it's good and bad years. I believe it has more to do with the "hit and miss" Springs than any thing else. MAYBE a 3 fish limit is something that would help. This coming from some one who doesn't EAT fish....h2l

bauls25

• AKA paul23
« Reply #442 on: Apr 28, 2022, 10:10 AM »
My name is Chris Powers, I am an aquatic biologist for the New York State DEC. My area of coverage includes Saratoga and Fulton counties and Great Sacandaga Lake. I was forwarded an email you sent inquiring about walleye stocking in GSL. The state does not stock walleye, however the Great Sacandaga Lake Fish Federation does stock some. The DEC does not stock because there are many tributaries that support spring spawning runs and natural reproduction. Furthermore, we know that walleye in the lake grow slower than walleyes elsewhere in the state, this is likely due to the low productivity of the reservoir due to annual water level drawdowns. Stocking additional walleye could potentially reduce growth rates even further by increasing competition for food. If you would like to discuss further feel free to give me a call at 518 623 1708.

Thanks,

Chris

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #443 on: Apr 29, 2022, 06:12 AM »
Bauls25, thanks for sharing that. I agree, there are a lot of places for the spawn, but not every year are the conditions right for a good spawn.
The "drawdown" has been going on every year since the lake went in.
If I recall, some of those "good" fishing years were following the new regulation of keeping the lake level higher during the Summer, I think it helps better weed beds to develop during the warm weather period, before they die off during the winter.

As far as the GSLFF stocking walleyes, they do stock a few thousand each of the past 8 or 10 years. It is a big lake. Why not 50k to 100k fry each year from the hatchery. If only 10% made it, it would help.

Anyway, thanks again and hope to see you on the water....h2l

iceman260

« Reply #444 on: Apr 29, 2022, 07:10 AM »
Bauls25 thank for sharing that info. Correct me if I'm wrong many years ago I was told they introduced smelt in the lake to increase forage. Was this true and did they take, the bass, pike and perch all seem to grow big ,why not the walleye's. I noticed more big bait pods on the lake last year than I have seen before.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #445 on: Apr 29, 2022, 10:23 AM »
Iceman, they did try stocking smelt many years ago, they didn't seem to take. You are right, the last 5 years or so, there has been much more baitfish. I believe that has a lot to do with the lake level kept higher during the summer months that allows better week beds to grow giving better areas for them to survive...h2l

The gate is open at the Northville launch.

bauls25

• AKA paul23
« Reply #446 on: Apr 29, 2022, 01:46 PM »
Could genetics play a roll in their size more than forage?   I see Drago gets 80k stocked and thats a much smaller lake. 

PeterCos

« Reply #447 on: Apr 30, 2022, 07:19 AM »
Good luck all on opening day tomorrow.

iceman260

« Reply #448 on: Apr 30, 2022, 07:37 AM »
Good luck to all fishing tomorrow.

bauls25

• AKA paul23
« Reply #449 on: Apr 30, 2022, 12:26 PM »
I dont really get the point of stocking trout in gsl. Do they not reproduce?   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.