FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: state record?  (Read 8843 times)

kidd2

Re: state record?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2009, 09:59 AM »
very cool, guys! i love the passion of quality fishermen! i have much respect for all of you that post pics of nice catches that you took from public waters! thats where the real skill takes place!  FISH ON! :D :D

crappie rob

« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2009, 10:42 AM »
very cool, guys! i love the passion of quality fishermen! i have much respect for all of you that post pics of nice catches that you took from public waters! thats where the real skill takes place!  FISH ON! :D :D
Do you fish "stocked" lakes, I'll bet those fish were raised in a "pond" ;D C-ya. Crappie Rob.

SmuckBuck

• Here Kitty Kitty!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 26, 2009, 03:10 PM »
Very touchy subject my friends. On the one hand a trophy is a trophy. On the other hand feeding fish to increase their size doesn't sound natural. In the wild would someone be hand feeding these fish??? Survival of the fittest. To each is their own. I would mount a hand fed monster, but wouldn't brag it up to a trophy. Private ponds that are not on a feeding plan I can justify that being legitament. Your feeding pets not State Records. Hope no one takes any offense. Just my opinion.
I live with Fear and Danger everyday, but sometimes She lets me go Fishing!

taxid

« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 2009, 08:59 PM »
Very touchy subject my friends. On the one hand a trophy is a trophy. On the other hand feeding fish to increase their size doesn't sound natural. In the wild would someone be hand feeding these fish??? Survival of the fittest. To each is their own. I would mount a hand fed monster, but wouldn't brag it up to a trophy. Private ponds that are not on a feeding plan I can justify that being legitament. Your feeding pets not State Records. Hope no one takes any offense. Just my opinion.

You have a point SB but just feeding a fish does not a record make. If that were that case people would be catching 3 lb. bluegills left and right out of ponds, hybrid or not. A record fish has to have everything going for it: good food supply, good genes, stress free environment and the luck to live long enough to get that big.

My perch was just as much an anomaly as if it came out of public waters. It's been several years and I have yet to get anything close to 16 inches. I've caught a few around 15 inches but most are 14 inches or less which isn't that much off of good public waters.

However just for the record even though I was a little disappointed at first my record would not count as I followed all the rules and they moved the goal post on me, it no long bothers me. It's a personal achievement and something I'll always treasure.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SmuckBuck

• Here Kitty Kitty!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2009, 06:46 AM »
Well said taxi. I agree that there are other factors included like you mentioned. I am not sure if anyone would agree with this statement, but everytime I go out I am always hoping to catch a record fish public or private. Just like hunting in my opinion.

leavnsorlips

« Reply #20 on: Mar 27, 2009, 10:39 AM »
i know this dont happen in IN  ::)  but in many other states deer are raised to trophy proportions before they are harvested. they are basically genetically engineered and hand fed only the very best!!! in many areas they are fenced in to insure the investment pays off! personally i dont see the difference. both are wild animals! raising trophies is awesome for personal enjoyment, but still, many factors that a wild animal endures to reach trophy proportions are lessened or in many cases eliminated in a man made environment! but at the same time if it counts for deer, it should count for perch!!!!

SmuckBuck

• Here Kitty Kitty!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 27, 2009, 03:19 PM »
Canned Hunts :nono: not in Indiana (don't need another Rusty Bellar deal). I just totally disagree with this type of hunting trophy or not! Managing a heard of quality deer in a fair chase situation is exceptable in my opinion. I guess I am a little fired up over fencing in deer for trophy hunts. Its cheating! Those hunts are so expensive it's not even funny and if you stay in one place long enough you will see every monster buck they have in that bird cage. I am not criticizing taxi for producing nice fish it's just the record issues I have a problem with. Can anyone tell me where a fenced in buck made a state record??? Probably not.

Natty

« Reply #22 on: Mar 27, 2009, 03:50 PM »
We have a huge ice derby here in NH like over 5 thousand fisherman............A couple years ago a guy entered two trout
from a privite pond and took home alot of cash.........There was alot of  >:( >:( >:( >:( fisherman.   The derby rules now state public waters only.

taxid

« Reply #23 on: Mar 27, 2009, 08:56 PM »
i know this dont happen in IN  ::)  but in many other states deer are raised to trophy proportions before they are harvested. they are basically genetically engineered and hand fed only the very best!!! in many areas they are fenced in to insure the investment pays off! personally i dont see the difference. both are wild animals! raising trophies is awesome for personal enjoyment, but still, many factors that a wild animal endures to reach trophy proportions are lessened or in many cases eliminated in a man made environment! but at the same time if it counts for deer, it should count for perch!!!!

No comparison. My perch was not genetically engineered and I did not have perch in my ponds to make the record books.  I had no idea I had anything that big in the pond at the time. I was not a fish producer at the time nor was I a hatchery.

And just for the record if it was so easy to catch the fish in this "manmade environment" I had two outstanding anglers fishing at the time and they never caught a perch. 

Two questions:

How do you feel about trout and salmon raised in concrete raceways and then planted -- how wild are they?  Also Considering trout have been selectively bred for faster growth for over 100 years how do you feel about that genetic engineering? 

How about reservoirs? They are man made too are they not? Should we elimnate all fish from reservoirs too?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

derslayer1

• EAT SLEEP FISH
« Reply #24 on: Mar 27, 2009, 09:28 PM »
Canned hunts/record fish from feeding... both inappropriate. Altho thats MY OPINION its any true hunters belief or anglers. Man....I hope that opens up a can of worms, i,m prepared.
EAT SLEEP FISH

Get_the_Net

« Reply #25 on: Mar 27, 2009, 09:34 PM »
Records are made to be broken.  As long as they are kept and published, SOME people will do whatever they can to get their name in the record books.  If that requires bending existing rules to increase their chance at a record, alot of ego maniacs will do just that.  

I could care less if they are genetically engineered or even fed as long as every person in Indiana has the ability and opportunity to fish for the same fish (without paying for more than a baisic license).  Counting fish in private ponds, even if not fed by humans, should be a completely separate catagory from public waters.  

The records are 'skewed' anyway due to the differences in latitude from the north end of the state vs. the southern portion.  Grant it, down south they don't have the trout and salmon we do up here, but bigger bass and panfish are more common down south.  Nothing prevents someone from driving and fishing in any part of the state, but opportunities are not equal for all species depending on where you live in the state.

leavnsorlips

« Reply #26 on: Mar 28, 2009, 08:12 AM »
private pond and reservoir?  ???  not even same ball park! and who is talkin bout eliminating fish? and i totally agree with all stocking programs!!! taxi, i must say that since i 1st started on IS, i have enjoyed all the info you have shared and certainly didnt post previously in order to offend. i know you are educated in this arena, and i guess that is why the stance you are taking on this issue surprises me. i still stand behind my statement. we all know you protect those fish from anything you can, and i would do the same!!! not puttin down a guy who has a pond and takes care of it....... BUT believing any of that is remotely natural is absurd! and one, who does such, should not believe he has a right to enter a specimen ,which he has raised, as naturally occuring.   

kidd2

« Reply #27 on: Mar 28, 2009, 09:08 AM »
i told my buddy i was going to put a gill in an aquarium, feed him "cheetos" till he gets fat like me, and then turn him in for a record and have him mounted, he didn't see the humor in that! ;D

leavnsorlips

« Reply #28 on: Mar 28, 2009, 09:13 AM »
same principal, smaller scale! was it the same buddy that has the bass in the pond?  :laugh:

taxid

« Reply #29 on: Mar 29, 2009, 07:54 AM »
Canned hunts/record fish from feeding... both inappropriate. Altho thats MY OPINION its any true hunters belief or anglers. Man....I hope that opens up a can of worms, i,m prepared.

I will ignore you post as it's obvious you have an axe to grind when it comes to my posts.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.