FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bleeding out fish  (Read 2034 times)

waterfowler

Bleeding out fish
« on: Mar 29, 2009, 08:47 AM »
I have been doing this for a really long time with fish that i catch in open water. I learned it from my dad. all i do is take the knife and cut the fish's throats down into the gill area and throw them into a bucket of water for about 15 20 min let them bleed out. When u go to clean them they are very clean no blood and not moving all over. I dont do it much ice fishing because they are froze when i get home, only thing is they have to be alive when you do it other wise they wont bleed very much. Just wondering who else on here does it. I have done it in front of guys before and they say what the hell are you doing?

Jake

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
Re: Bleeding out fish
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2009, 08:55 AM »
I will do it on bigger fish that I catch in paticular YellowCat. I just slit the belly take off the head, gut em and hang them up and let gravity do the rest. I'm with you Jake, I think it helps.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

waterfowler

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2009, 09:06 AM »
Well at least i know somebody thinks the same as me  :o

donnie.dew

• ALWAYS READY TO GO!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2009, 09:45 AM »
we started doing when we went to lake erie last year and found it even makes the fish taste better ,when it comes time to eat them..them walleye's were awsome. ;D

Mr. gill

« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2009, 11:16 AM »
Can't wait til the 25th Don and Jp we are going to have a blast but it will not cost as much this year I hope.LOL

leavnsorlips

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2009, 01:20 PM »
why? did they change the prices or somethin???? :police: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2009, 08:39 PM »
i tried bleeding out my fish today for the first time. all i did was crush the gills on my coho and the cleaning process was so much cleaner. i think im gonna start doin that to all my large fish. what a great idea. thanks for the info on it guys!
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

gill gitter

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2009, 10:36 PM »
waterfowler, me and donnie were cleaning some walleye last year when some guys told us about it and the difference between the fish we caught that day and the fish we caught the next useing the method your talking about was night and day. fillets from the first day were pink in color and the ones from the next day were white fillets and the difference in taste was also much better. so for anybody that has a livewell or a bucket of water it is a great idea.

waterfowler

« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2009, 04:40 AM »
I agree totally I still soak my fillets in salt water over night just to get the little blood that was in them out. But i don't know why more people don't do it its simple and effective.

leavnsorlips

« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2009, 10:05 AM »
  ;)  :-*  ;D

Mr. gill

« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 2009, 10:35 AM »
I just like teasing you JP. I told you guys to watch yourselves but you just would not listen.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.