FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trout in Twitchell Pond Greenwood  (Read 1972 times)

woodchip1

Trout in Twitchell Pond Greenwood
« on: Jul 17, 2019, 07:11 PM »
 troutkudu
IceShanty Rookie

Trout in Twitchell Pond Greenwood
« on: Today at 06:05 PM »

In the 15 years I have been on Twitchell Pond in Greenwood, only two trout have been caught. One four pounder brown trout trolling a jointed fire tiger rapala in shallow water in summer 9 years ago, the other was a massive five pounder trolling a shallow lure maybe 7 years ago. Using a fish finder reveals marks 25 feet down but numerous efforts at getting a bite leave us empty handed. Now we are not poor fisherman by any means, we aren't out there making a ruckus, but we are baffled as to why we cant catch these brown trout, and for years a silly twitchell trout has become my white whale. Supposedly Twitchell is stocked every october with 300 or more 13 inch trout? I know bigger are down there.
What would be the most helpful thing to read would be any stories anyone has about their trout catches in Twitchell and how they pulled it off.
Is there some sort of secret to catching these trout that has been overlooked for years?
Thanks

taxid

Re: Trout in Twitchell Pond Greenwood
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2019, 09:11 PM »
Sounds like typical brown trout. 

Are you sure you're marking brown trout?  A lake I fish in Indiana that is stocked with browns has large suckers that suspend at around the same depth. I would never have thought suckers suspend and feed on zooplankton, but was helping with a fish and game gill net survey, and saw it with my own eyes. 

The other thing is if there is plenty of forage fish as in smelt or alewives you may need to present the real deal vs. artificials. With brown trout I've trolled all day with an artificial and caught squat. Sewed on a minnow behind a dodger or flasher and bang!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2019, 04:34 AM »
I started my streamer fishing for browns at Twitchell, Norway & Tripp. Back then it started with a spinning rod, chain link swivel, right in the bushes, then I graduated to a fly rod, sinking line and a Barnes Special. I had great success at all three ponds. The fly line follows the shore line, as opposed to mono. Brown trout are active snail eaters, as well as anything else for a meal. Unfortunately, rainbows have taken their place in many bodies of water.
The sewed on or live bait is the most effective tactic now. I still fish Twitchell, having to dodge the boulders at the poor boat launch with my smaller 16' Lund. They are still there. ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

jrelaxin

« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2019, 05:17 AM »
Caught some nice fish in there yrs ago but getting even a 14ft boat through that minefield on rocks at the boat launch is 3/4 the battle.
Donut a day and I'm ready to play
 Dave

fishlessman

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2019, 08:19 AM »
have not fished there but on the smaller lakes and ponds i fish right up against the shore before the suns up, and just a little deeper following the shore as the sun sets.  the rest of the day i think im just wasting my time. i like black leach flys with a red throat and dark olive green hornbergs

troutkudu

« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2019, 04:04 PM »
I started my streamer fishing for browns at Twitchell, Norway & Tripp. Back then it started with a spinning rod, chain link swivel, right in the bushes, then I graduated to a fly rod, sinking line and a Barnes Special. I had great success at all three ponds. The fly line follows the shore line, as opposed to mono. Brown trout are active snail eaters, as well as anything else for a meal. Unfortunately, rainbows have taken their place in many bodies of water.
The sewed on or live bait is the most effective tactic now. I still fish Twitchell, having to dodge the boulders at the poor boat launch with my smaller 16' Lund. They are still there. ;D

Original poster here. So I am confused, you are telling me you troll flies really close to shore to catch brown trout in Twitchell? What exactly is your tactic you use because I have gone years unsuccesful so I am suprised you say the trout are still there.

troutkudu

« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2019, 04:06 PM »
Caught some nice fish in there yrs ago but getting even a 14ft boat through that minefield on rocks at the boat launch is 3/4 the battle.
So how exactly did you manage to catch the trout in that pond even if it was years ago? By "nice fish" do you mean trout?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.