FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing is dumb  (Read 3553 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Fishing is dumb
« on: Jul 10, 2023, 07:39 AM »
Year 3 of trying to catch a striped bass.

Year 3 of not catching one.

I may be done with this endeavor.

Steve H.

Re: Fishing is dumb
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2023, 07:53 AM »
Where and when?  Maybe I can help. 
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Jethro

« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2023, 01:27 PM »
Where and when?  Maybe I can help.

I usually launch out of Portsmouth which is what I did this weekend. I'm a weekend warrior, work all week. I certainly don't have any problem catching the mackerel! Fill the livewell with 'em pretty much every time. Just seems no matter what I'm doing with them isn't working.

Steve H.

« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2023, 02:14 PM »
I usually launch out of Portsmouth which is what I did this weekend. I'm a weekend warrior, work all week. I certainly don't have any problem catching the mackerel! Fill the livewell with 'em pretty much every time. Just seems no matter what I'm doing with them isn't working.

Launch out of Newburyport (Cashmans) and fish the mouth of the Merrimack on the outgoing to dead low.  Not sure how it's fishing now with all this rain, but I have more consistent luck there than the Piscataqua.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2023, 02:24 PM »
Stay with it Geoff!
You'll crack this nut.

Good luck.

fish wayniac

« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2023, 05:57 AM »
Hi Jethro, Keep at it you will be rewarded. After you catch the Macs anchor out in front of a beach in 10’-12’ of water. We live line them under a bobber up here in Maine. If that doesn’t work anchor in front of rocks and structure. Good luck!

Jethro

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2023, 07:16 AM »
Launch out of Newburyport (Cashmans) and fish the mouth of the Merrimack on the outgoing to dead low.  Not sure how it's fishing now with all this rain, but I have more consistent luck there than the Piscataqua.

Thats interesting, I'm usually making an effort to fish the high and slack tide. I used to live on Plum Island but didn't fish saltwater back then. Where abouts do people usually fish for macs in that area? In Portsmouth/Kittery it's no secret to fish the 2kr bouy and I always seem to load up the livewell there. I recently picked up a bunch of the tube and worm setups too but not really sure what to do with them.

Thanks for the help Steve! I'm probably going to try again this weekend rain or shine.

Steve H.

« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2023, 08:55 AM »
I found the most reliable place to get macks from there is at Breaking Rocks off Seabrook.  Just a short run up from the mouth.  Fish right around the BR buoy, chum is your friend.  Once the live well is full, go back and drift the mouth on the outgoing.  (You won't be alone but you should hook up.)

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2023, 09:33 AM »
Jethro I am happy to help.  Last year we bailed them from 830pm to 6am every drift.  Landed a couple 50's and were so tired we couldnt pivot and head out for tuna.  Eels.  Macks are ok but thats a feast or fail type of striper fishing.

Also second the merrimack but roccus is the guy to give advice there.

zwiggles

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2023, 10:15 AM »
If you want come company I’m local to the bay. If you want to PM me as well I can share some spots that have produced for me in the past.

Steve H.

« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2023, 12:22 PM »
Also second the merrimack but roccus is the guy to give advice there.

Haven't seen Joe on here in a while but, without question, he is the Master of the Merrimack.

Steve H.

« Reply #11 on: Jul 11, 2023, 12:23 PM »
If you want come company I’m local to the bay. If you want to PM me as well I can share some spots that have produced for me in the past.

Z, when we going surf casting again? 

Jethro

« Reply #12 on: Jul 11, 2023, 02:07 PM »
I obviously should have asked for help long ago! Zwiggles, I will reach out soon. Maybe I'll send a PM to Roccus and see if I can raise him, but to be honest the Merrimac scares the ever loving poop out of me. When I lived on Plum Island my father kept his 40' sailboat in Newburyport and I've been though the mouth enough times to know it's no joke. My boat has a lot of freeboard but it's still just a 21' tinny and that spot can be downright nasty.

Jethro I am happy to help.  Last year we bailed them from 830pm to 6am every drift.  Landed a couple 50's

50's?? Good lord. Eels... haven't tried them yet. Live eels while drifting? Guess I need to find a better bait shop.

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Jul 12, 2023, 09:53 AM »
Haven't seen Joe on here in a while but, without question, he is the Master of the Merrimack.

Im more of a sw ledge rat.  Did the surfcasting thing for nearly 2 decades before caving to boat fishing for them.

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Jul 12, 2023, 11:41 AM »
I obviously should have asked for help long ago! Zwiggles, I will reach out soon. Maybe I'll send a PM to Roccus and see if I can raise him, but to be honest the Merrimac scares the ever loving poop out of me. When I lived on Plum Island my father kept his 40' sailboat in Newburyport and I've been though the mouth enough times to know it's no joke. My boat has a lot of freeboard but it's still just a 21' tinny and that spot can be downright nasty.

50's?? Good lord. Eels... haven't tried them yet. Live eels while drifting? Guess I need to find a better bait shop.

Eels, the flats, maybe some advice from Joe and youll be good to go!  And ya I drift the eels using an egg sinker.  Sometimes Ill drift them on a black/purple bucktail.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.