FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: does anyone float fish for cats?  (Read 28005 times)

Trophy Hunter639

does anyone float fish for cats?
« on: Jun 11, 2004, 10:39 AM »
Does any one have any tips as to what kind of floats to use for big channel cats?

Trophy Hunter639

Re: does anyone float fish for cats?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2004, 09:42 AM »
I typically use a three way rig but the cats are breaking surface right now and i have heard of lots of guys using floats(big ones) i'm after 20+lb cats so i guess i was wondering if anyone new of any big floats that would hold up a big bait.Catfish feed in all depths and eat almost constantly.

Webguy

• Lured into it....... get reel!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2004, 01:31 PM »
Thill makes some nice slip floats called Big Fish Sliders. I have the smallest one # BFS-1 that I use a 1/2 oz. weight below and I drilled a hole in the top to slide a glow stick into it to keep track of it at night.

Here's the site:

http://lindyfishingtackle.com/tackleshop/customer/search.php?substring=bfs

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2004, 11:51 AM »
Hey thanks alot webguy those look cool i think i am going to get one and try it out.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2004, 12:31 PM »
I have been wanting to try this myself as I have witnessed MANY channels feeding along with carp on the surface lately.  Let me know how you make out and I'll do the same.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2004, 11:20 PM »
Hey sure thing JW! :) Man that is a beautifull musky must have been a rush  8)

Jigwiggler

« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2004, 12:55 PM »
Hey sure thing JW! :) Man that is a beautifull musky must have been a rush  8)

Thanks TH!

Hey I got out for an hour last night.  The river I fish came up several feet yesterday and was flowing a lot of moss and other crap.  Decided to head out anyway and found a few fish feeding on top.  Not sure what they were, I opted for the old stand by worms.  The hardest part for me was detecting strikes drifting in the fairly strong current, as something cleaned my hook twice and I never felt a thing. :-\  I'll give it another shot as soon as the river settles down.

I think this could be a very productive presentation for cats.  I've caught them on top before pitching small pieces of cut bait to fish sucking on top.

May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2004, 03:02 PM »
I've caught a couple cats on lighted floats drifted through the swifter sections of pools. Nightcrawlers seemed to work better than chicken liver. I am even thinking of trying to catch cats bouncing worms on the bottom like I do for Trout in the upper sections of our rivers.
Generally cats are bottom oriented, but they are predators and will grab whatever they can. Drifting a float through a hole, or even up higher might work well when they are feeding on baitfish that aren't bottom oriented. I
have even heard and seen bass anglers catching cats on poppers as well on the surface. Goes to show you cats can be anywhere and do anything. About 90% of the time or more they are on the bottom, but don't always fish by the book.

Tyler

slipperybob

« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2015, 12:53 AM »
Don't get stuck on the misconception that catfish are just bottom feeders.  In fact they're just like any predatory fish, chasing a food source in the water column appropriate.  That being said, I've sometimes will be the only person to catch a catfish on a float rig while everyone comes up empty on bottom set rigs.  There have also been times where the guy tossing a spoon caught more catfish than any of use with our bottom set rigs.  It can also be extremely fun hooking into a cat with an inline spinner or crank bait. 

Don't forget to have a float rig for cats on your next outing.  Let the fish tell you what they want.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 26, 2015, 06:34 PM »
cats follow the food. sure they spend a lot of time on or near bottom, but i ran into a situation last winter when i was catching bluegill suspended 10' down over 20 fow. suddenly the bluegill bite cut short and i caught a dozen 1 lb. channel cats. even in winter, they'll swim way away from bottom looking for food.

i have yet to be successful with a float rig for cats, but that's simply for my lack of knowledge and practice. most likely, i'm using the tactic in the wrong location. i know where to find them if they're sitting on bottom, waiting to ambush prey from piles of brush and such, but i don't know where to look when they're suspended.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.