FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: In Miniature  (Read 723 times)

bogtrotter

In Miniature
« on: Aug 11, 2019, 05:04 PM »
I returned from a whirlwind trip to Ohio (where I had a great time B/T/W) on Friday and recuperated yesterday.

This afternoon, after a hike with my older daughter to the three corners where MA, VT and NY meet, I fished the South Hoosic in Adams from a little before 3 to a little after 4 PM.

It was partly sunny and 75 degrees.

I started a little above the Old Stone Mill bridge and finished a little below Elm Rock.

I caught a 10" brown above the OSM bridge, a 9" one just below it, a 7" one a little further downstream (where the stream doglegs to the left and the Dry Brook flows in), a 10" rainbow just above the small roll dam, and a 9" brown just below it.

I'm off two minds. On the one hand, I cannot complain about the water conditions (stream levels and temps are holding nicely) or the numbers of fish; but on the other hand they are awfully small.

In a related vein, I also find three other things rather curious.

First, today may have been a fluke, but it's unusual to catch more browns than rainbows (particularly by a 4 to 1 margin).

Second, given their small size, the browns I was catching may well have been wild, rather than stocked, which is good news I guess.

Third, it's odd that I did not get any hits at Elm Rock or the waterfalls below it. Ordinarily, that is where the larger fish and numbers of fish congregate, since those are two of the deepest holes on the South Hoosic above the flood control chutes.

lowaccord66

Re: In Miniature
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2019, 06:58 PM »
Same for me this morning Jim...lots of small wild browns with decent rainbows mixed in. 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2019, 06:38 AM »
Nice work Jim!
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2019, 08:53 AM »
Good to hear that the wild browns are prevalent.  I took a hike/fishing excursion yesterday as well.  I parked on the trail for the east branch and walked up stream to a large pool.  The water levels on all of the branches of the Westfield is extremely low so I knew I'd need to fish deeper pools to find fish.  I had 4 short strikes and then finally landed a 12 inch rainbow.  I was wet wading and on my way back across the river I slipped while rock hopping and took a spill into the river.  I was soaked up to about my chest.  I'm sure glad I left my cell phone in my back pack as the fish I caught was not pic worth anyways.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.