FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: pike  (Read 13158 times)

broken rod

• CPR
pike
« on: Mar 26, 2004, 10:02 PM »
so what does everybody do with pike if you keep them.
on ocasion i will make poormans out of them ;D
tight lines, chuck

livin4ice

Re: pike
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2004, 09:19 AM »
First of all, I never keep the very large pike.  I keep a few that are 25 to 30 inches.  As long as you know how to clean them and get the Y bone out they are quite good broiled with garlic butter and a little paprika.  not my favorite fish but good none the less.

backwoodswalker

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2004, 03:10 PM »
PICKLE THOSE PIKE!!! ;D ;D
Pickled pike are great eating. ;D Don't have to worry about Y-bones either. ;D Sometimes I will fillet them and roll in batter and pan fry. :) Not the best eating but not bad either.  ;DThere are some excellent pickling recipes on the sister site www.iceshanty.com. Lots of good info there too. Check it out.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2004, 06:47 PM »
Filet them then use a walleye fish batter

reubenpa

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2004, 08:27 PM »
I filleted one, but still ended up with a few bones, but my wife put some lemon jiuce, and about 2 other things that I forget what they are and then baked them!!! I LOVE it
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

wny angler

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2004, 09:13 PM »
i deep fry e'm -they're as good eatin as walleye

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2004, 06:54 AM »
boneless fileted pike are just as good as walleye, and actually having been spoiled as a kid eating them, i often turned my nose up at pike....not anymore...removing the ybones and using the same breading as walleye, turns them into a highly inviting taste...what i do like better than walleye, is the cooked filet is a little drier.. i know i've fooled alot of seasoned anglers who can't tell the difference...keep them under 25-26" and dig in....grump

archbishop

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 01:23 PM »
i deep fry e'm -they're as good eatin as walleye
im with you i toss them in a special bread mix then into the deep fryer
with a homemade tartar sauce mmmmm

Pikeguy

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 01:25 PM »
I need an easy recipe for tartar sauce now that you mention it.

archbishop

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 01:27 PM »
relish mayo and fresh squeezed lemon
cant get much easier mmmm

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2005, 07:28 PM »
Pike have great meat and are pretty much as good as walleye, crappie, or perch, and are greatly superior to catfish and bass.
Using fine pliers to pull out the y bones is the best way to do it. Time consuming but worth it. Then deep fry using walleye type batter, beer batter, or just bake it and eat it like poor man's lobster.
The best pike to eat are 20 - 25 inchers and the y bones are easier to pull out without damaging the fillets.

mrwalleye

« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2005, 09:41 AM »
ive heard theyre excellent fried.  cant get that friggin ybone out though  :-[  ive butcherd a couple, and gotten some meat, i cant get a whole fillette  :'(  i might try pickeling some this winter

mrwalleye

« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2005, 09:42 AM »
Pike have great meat and are pretty much as good as walleye, crappie, or perch, and are greatly superior to catfish and bass.
Using fine pliers to pull out the y bones is the best way to do it. Time consuming but worth it. Then deep fry using walleye type batter, beer batter, or just bake it and eat it like poor man's lobster.
The best pike to eat are 20 - 25 inchers and the y bones are easier to pull out without damaging the fillets.
i like me some catfish  ;D

shrub

• It Aint Easy Being Fat and Greasy
« Reply #13 on: Oct 20, 2005, 03:50 PM »
ive heard theyre excellent fried.  cant get that friggin ybone out though  :-[  ive butcherd a couple, and gotten some meat, i cant get a whole fillette  :'(  i might try pickeling some this winter
mr.walleye have you seen this?     http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=3518.0  it might help
She said that if i go fishin one more time she was gonna leave me....whell im gonna miss her!!

mrwalleye

« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2005, 05:41 AM »
mr.walleye have you seen this?     http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=3518.0  it might help
sweet  ;D  i just need more practice.  i have a video, which shows to do it that way.  i always get bones though. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.