FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Help / Thoughts on stocking a newly formed pond with fish?  (Read 2374 times)

ship of fools

My buddy whose land i hunt owns 50 acres or so and just recently built a dam and created a pond. I would guess it is maybe 400 or 500 feet by 300 feet and has a maximum depth of 10' or so.

He called me since he knows i love to fish and wanted some input. 

Unfortunately i don't have a clue   ::)

Any thoughts that i could pass along?

deggert60

Re: Help / Thoughts on stocking a newly formed pond with fish?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2014, 09:16 AM »
I remember on ice shanty a guy posted pics in the new York thread or pictures thread about his private pond he stocks with female perch and male bluegills to control the population. The perch and bluegill looked like freak fish and were massive. I would try to find him and message him
SUNY Oswego Fishing Club Founding Member 2013 (Alumni)

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2014, 09:52 AM »
Contact the DEC
They know what to do and can help.
Your friend's pond sound too small and shallow for perch.
Bass and bluegills I would think.
But contact the DEC

ecolt14527

« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2014, 08:17 PM »
Attack is right on !! It is illegal to stock a pond unless you have a "farm fish pond license" issued by DEC, it is free. If he damned a running stream and you stock it without DEC's input and get apprehended the landowner and the person that supplied the fish are in some serious trouble and I do mean serious. In the law they talk about inlets and outlet's. Let DEC be your guide. Call your local regional office and talk to fisheries.

JTP

fishreaper

« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2014, 09:59 PM »
If you do a Google search for "pond stocking guide" you will find many good landowner guides written by natural resource agencies.

ship of fools

« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2014, 05:43 AM »
Attack is right on !! It is illegal to stock a pond unless you have a "farm fish pond license" issued by DEC, it is free. If he damned a running stream and you stock it without DEC's input and get apprehended the landowner and the person that supplied the fish are in some serious trouble and I do mean serious. In the law they talk about inlets and outlet's. Let DEC be your guide. Call your local regional office and talk to fisheries.

JTP

Apparently one of the neighbors called DEC on him and he had to meet with them. He said the meeting went well and there were no issues so i think that end of it is covered ... although i will definitely mention it again so he can avoid trouble!

ecolt14527

« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2014, 08:24 AM »
As previously stated, to stock or manage a pond you will need the "farm fish pond license" , have the land owner do it  (FREE)    JTP

broadhorizons

« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2014, 02:34 PM »
As previously stated, to stock or manage a pond you will need the "farm fish pond license" , have the land owner do it  (FREE)    JTP

Does your name on here stands for "ECO Lieutenant"? I'd take your advice...
Captain Andy
Broad Horizons Guide and Charter Service

ecolt14527

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Broadhorizons: That is right, I spent 34 years on the job. Region 8 and a stint in Region 7 when appointed Lieutenant. I taught conservation law at a couple of college's and at the state police academy. All is beginning to fade with this old geezer as I have been retired for 23 years.  JTP

OneidaAngler

« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Largemouth Bass, Bluegill, and Channel Catfish make a nice combo. I have (2)1/4 acre ponds with them and other species in them. Yellow Perch do well but don't get to "jumbo" proportions, they do make a great forage base for the Bass though. I have a few Walleyes in one of my ponds too. They do ok, don't grow very big in ponds but make for some variety. Just my two cents.

reeleyz

« Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2014, 10:04 AM »
Just another reason why this site is awesome. Good info.

My brother has a 1 acre pond made from a stream that was dammed. He tried trout and they did not make it. Bass do good in there but they are thin because they have little food. Some combo of bass and panfish sounds like a good idea.

Bassnubie56

« Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2014, 09:52 AM »
Just another reason why this site is awesome. Good info.

My brother has a 1 acre pond made from a stream that was dammed. He tried trout and they did not make it. Bass do good in there but they are thin because they have little food. Some combo of bass and panfish sounds like a good idea.

I was recently over at the Orvis company main office on business. I was talking to an employee about their fly fishing school and their practice pond they have on the grounds. I asked if it is stocked with trout, like the store pond. He said no, trout die in this pond, as the oxygen supply is low. No incoming stream. So, it is stocked with bass and they do O.K. there. But, they have to feed them weekly. I didn't think to ask what they feed them.

FISHNIK

« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2014, 02:03 PM »
Dogfood pellets.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.