FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rooster Tail  (Read 6291 times)

Letha_Face

Rooster Tail
« on: Aug 09, 2006, 11:00 AM »
Will perch bite on rooster tails? What is the bets lure to use for them? Will fake minnows work well at all? What is the best way to catch perch with lures?

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
Re: Rooster Tail
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2006, 11:04 AM »
Lake or river? Boat or shore? Summer or winter?  A few more details would help... and welcome! ;D
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

Letha_Face

« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2006, 11:05 AM »
Lake,Pier,Summer

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2006, 11:23 AM »
I'm about as far from a perch expert as you're going to find around here, but I'd say try some ice jigs or small aberdeen hooks with waxworms under a bobber.  Cast it out and let it sit.  Good luck.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2006, 08:29 PM »
freshest salted minnows you can get....but make sure to chop them into chunks...you can use lindyrigs, but they tend to guthook on this setup....pickerel rigs work very well too....if I were to pass one tip along that will increase your hookup rate and reduce the nibble spit syndrome that perch exhibit when only moderately interested is this....ALWAYS make sure the hook point is NOT exposed....you would be amazed to watch perch pick up the bait and drop it because it doesnt feel right when the mouth it.....good luck...tightlines and post your pics and catch....and Welcome aboard....Grump :thumbup_smilie:

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2006, 02:15 PM »
I've caught quite a few recently on gold panther martin spinners.  They tend to spin better than mepps.

devil-man

« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2006, 03:21 PM »
Try drop shotting with panfish-sized plastics or bait.
Don't cast very far and use as little weight as possible...

icewalker28

• Born to Fish , Forced to Work
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2006, 03:16 PM »
Hey Letha.
The best open water lure for perch..........red and yellow micro tubes. I haven't hit a lake in the summer that they haven't produced. I use a 1/64 oz head with the micro tube. Give it a try under a float or on it's own.
Cheers
IW :D
Born to Fish , Forced to Work

PikeHunter

« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2006, 02:18 PM »
If you want a simple approach and are fishing in relatively deep water, try a one-hook crawler harness with a small splitshot about a foot above the top of the harness. Just cast it out and reel it back. Pretty simple. Slower retreive if you think the fish are deeper. If they are 'pounding the mud' for bloodworms and the like. Let it settle all the way to the bottom and then lift your rod tip and then reel in the slack to work it back to you. The little puffs of mud the splitshot stirs up will draw them to you. ;)

Hope this helps, and good luck. those little buggers are tasty ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.