FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: trolling for perch  (Read 13121 times)

fishyfreak

• this is my grandpa
trolling for perch
« on: May 07, 2004, 05:17 PM »
hey guys, i just wanted to know if anybody has ever trolled for perch.., my grandparents have a camp up on brant lake with a really nice beach.  a friend and i always go into a little pedal boat and throw a line out a little ways, sumtimes we have lots of luck, and sumtimes we dont even get a bite, does any one know why? ??? ???
fishy, fishy in the brook, come and bite my little hook....

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
Re: trolling for perch
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2004, 10:58 AM »
Fishyfreak I have trolled for them. I put on a light bottom bouncer with a small spinner wtih a partial piece of crawler. I tend to get bigger perch this way.
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2004, 10:53 PM »
Perch tend to school, so if you get one, you are very likely to get more. Thats why trolling isn't that great for perch, because you would be pulling one out of a school of them in stead of several.  Find a school, catch perch from them, and follow the school.
 Hope this helps!!!

Jigwiggler

« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2004, 06:44 AM »
I have caught alot of perch while trolling for walleyes and other fish.  Trolling is a great way to find fish in unknown water.  For perch, like mentioned by Big Walleye, worm rigs/spinner rigs can be very productive as can smaller crankbaits.  I have caught a good number of very nice perch trolling Wally divers and similar baits.  Good Luck!!
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2004, 11:12 AM »
Trolling for them with a spinner definatly would produce larger perch.My favorite has to be jigging with small jigs and minnow or perch belly meat.

Reelmaster

« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2004, 05:09 PM »
i have caught some bigger perch when going after pike.  I was using a rap similar to their color just like big walleye. they were pretty aggresive fish as they swallowed the rap down deep.

A bad day of fishing is still better than a good days work!!!

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2004, 07:05 PM »
IMHO....trolling for perch is not the way to go......if you do get them trolling...which does happen often...i think what happens is you're moving through schools of perch.....one to another.....it's not that they wont hit....target the large group and increase your chances.....they do not move about alot individually.....grumps 2bits.... :P

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2004, 08:57 PM »
Actually Grump you would be surprised at how big of a perch you would get trolling. Not to many people do this but it is worth it.
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

fly-in

« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 2005, 07:16 PM »
On the lake were we have our cabin we (everyone who goes there) have only caught like 4 or 5 perch in 20 years, I believe mostly in winter, but when we catch one it is all we catch. I would like to catch perch, so what would be the solution to the problem? unless there are very few perch in the lake?

Kodiakman

• "...sometimes the bear gits you."
« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2005, 12:27 PM »
Seems like this would be a good way to locate perch on a large or unfamiliar lake.  Once you find them stop and keep working the school.  The cool thing is that perch usually school together by size.  So, if trolling for them usually finds bigger perch you could get into a whole lot of big perch.  Kewl!!! I'm going to have to try this next time out. :laugh:

billybono

• just passin time till first ice!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 06:21 PM »
well, i was trolling for eyes last weekend, using an inline planer, and when i reeled it in, there was a 10 inch perch on the rap. didnt even set the board off. the funny thing is, there was also another set of perch lips on the hook  :o :o :o

to bad a northern didnt smash it, would have made one hell of a pic

billybono

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms isn't just a government agency...
It's one heck of a party!!

www.myspace.com/billybono

skells23

« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2007, 09:39 PM »
i used to troll for sm using a small inline spinner and we would get a lot of perch on them

fish_finder

« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2007, 08:45 PM »
 I have really good luck trolling in a canoe for both whites and yellows but more often the whites.  My favorit lure is a small red n white daredevil or a spinner n worm, both rigged to bounce just off bottom.
Fishing isn't a hobby it's an addiction

Jigmeister

« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2007, 09:15 PM »
I've been successful catching yellow perch on 3" trolling spoons. They tend to be hanging around with the brown and rainbow trout I usually target. I prefer fishing for them with 1/16th oz jigs. They are my favorite eating fish.

stones21

« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2007, 02:06 PM »
I've never trolled for perch before but, done very well drifting fishing. I'm thinking the sinker drags the bottom and peaks interest. Then since we're moving so slow they chase down the bait. ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.