FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wheres the Yellow perch at??  (Read 5003 times)

Busby

Wheres the Yellow perch at??
« on: May 31, 2004, 05:33 PM »
 Heres my situation, iam on a large lake with very few weed beds. I know perch like weeds so the question iam asking is, what other types of way do perch like. F.Y.I i know there are perch in the lake due to a MNR report on the lake so just incase u guys were thinking i was a bit nuts ;D

bigdave1018

Re: Wheres the Yellow perch at??
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 06:33 PM »
i know where i fish the perch in the spring are found at all depths. they are shallow now because the minnows are doing their spawning thing and the perch are right there eating their fill. they like to school up where ever the food and water temp is to their liking. in the fall i find them in deeper water on rocky bottoms. a fish finder is the way to go to find them which usually is the hardest part. i use minnows in the fall and spring, its just my preference. hope this helps, busby tight lines big dave out.

Busby

« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2004, 08:21 PM »
thanks boy-o i'll have to pick some minnows up at the marina next time i am at my cottage.

bayonne

« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2004, 10:29 PM »
they suspend on large lakes with herrig schools and ted to be of larger size look for thermal cline our lake it shows on the fish finder get them going 2lbs that way and you never know what yull catch every thing takes live herring slip bobers can be very deadly set were marking the fish try to set up on drop offs

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2004, 10:51 PM »
"Perch are no doubt a fish of the flats. " Doug Stange, In-Fisherman

My suggestion is to get a map of the lake you fish (the depths, etc.) and try to fish the largest flats you can find. Use your sonar, and when you find a lot of fish together, it will be perch since they love to school. If it is a deep lake, don't hesitate looking as deep as 40 feet for them if you can't find them.

Avoid drop offs as much as possible, yellow perch just don't like them. Use standard perch jigs and bait.

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2004, 10:58 AM »
Also don't sit in one spot for more than 15 min tops once you find them you will be rewarded with some very fast action.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2004, 05:06 PM »
Like TFB said, perch love flats, deep or shallow. Deeper is better when temperatures are hot. Perch generally relate to the bottom like walleyes, where they eat small minnows, bottom dwelling insect larvae, small crayfish, and other crustaceans. They will occasionally suspend when food sources like small baitfish or shrimp run higher, but start out looking on the bottom. Sonar will help you find perch. It's a must for consistant sucess. Concentrate shallower, 10 - 20 feet in spring, and deeper in fall, up to 40 or 50 feet, depending on lake depths. If it's a shallow lake, find the deepest flat areas you can find, sometimes with weedgrowth or rocks. The best perch bait is a good old nightcrawler piece. For more scattered fish, use nightcrawler parts on flashy jigs.

Tyler

bigdave1018

« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2004, 05:25 AM »
great tips tyler, tks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.