FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trolling For Pike  (Read 5185 times)

Mackdaddy21

Trolling For Pike
« on: Sep 26, 2004, 01:00 AM »
Who here has good luck trolling for pike? What do you use and how deep do you fish?

Tyler

buzz bait

• save the walleyes
Re: Trolling For Pike
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2004, 10:32 AM »
i;ve trolled for them a few times . the lures used  husky jerks size 10 and up  big spinners like mepps musky killers or just any of your favorite pike lures smaller jerk baits work to .depth depends on the time of year ??? in the fall like to troll over the weed tops speed is a factor 1.5 to 3  mph . i was fishing in canada [half moon lake] i was trolling a 00 size dodger with a big treble hook on it . places i;ve trolled are the st.larwence ,cayuga ,owasco and the chenago river and a few other places .

terrieb80

« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2005, 10:46 PM »
Yes or No with regards to using planer boards when trolling for Pike?

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2005, 02:29 PM »
For pike, they seem to take almost any lure smaller than them, but some good trolling lures are Len Thompson in 5 of diamonds or red and white. Plugs or crank baits the original and husky jerk Rapala in a bait fish color that matches the natural forager or try firetiger. I also like to troll swimbaits and jigs with rubber tails, something like the Storm Wildeyes or a Berkley twister tails in white should do the trick, for areas with big pike go with larger lures, and I would recommend a steel leader. 8)

Water Wolf
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Deposit

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2005, 01:08 PM »
You all just troll with the lure in the water??? I Mean no riggers? are plainers? I have thaught about trying to troll but was not sure what the consences is on the proper way (I'm talking of lakes that generally are shallow 20 to 30 feet and other around 70 feet)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2005, 02:48 PM »
I just troll with the lure in the water, no riggers or plainer boards.
I do like to experiment with the amount of line out, if they seem reluctant to bite I like to give them more line out, but if there are weeds or a lot of rocks about you may get hung up a bit. I have also tried trolling my lure very close behind the boat, the lure was sill in the wake  from the propeller and the pike still hit it. Another thing I like to use an electric trolling motor, it don't spook the fish the same way as a regular motor would. :)

Water Wolf
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

ol crawdad

• ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE!!!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2005, 03:04 PM »
I've been trolling for pike for 25 years.  Favorite lures are husky jerks (especially in crawdad and clown), Rapala J13's, Shad raps, Magnum raps, and various spinners like a # 5 Mepps combo with plastic minnow. 
In spring the action is better shallow, then later when the water warms, the bigger pike move deeper.  The St. Lawrence was always a great place to troll for pike, but now it is too clear, and they have really gone deep in the summer.  I like to troll weedbeds, ridges and dropoffs, running as slow as possible, but working the lure a lot.  If they are inactive, go slow and stop the lure a lot. (especially with the Jerks).

My first pike of the year:

Oh Lord - there he is, it feels like a big one, please don\'t let me lose him, I\'ve never caught one this big before.  I\'ll try not to horse him, and if I land him, I promise to release him, and make a graphite replica, if my wife says it\'s ok.  Thank you for the Rapalas...

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2005, 07:23 PM »
Ive done very well trolling for pike...

i troll two ways;
1. when i am fishing big fish water I troll firetiger saltwater rapalas (the 7" and 9" models) over deepwater cuts, and along steep breaklines that drop into the main channel or bottom contour.  I put them quite a ways back, and they run pretty deep (up to 25' w/o weight)

2.  When i am fishing smaller ponds or just looking to catch lots of pike and pickerel, i troll number 4 mepps black furys and super roostertails (like in ol' crawdad's pic) across the edge of weedy flats and along the edge of the main basin.

Deposit

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2005, 08:12 PM »
cool thanks for the info guys

synergyboy10

• summer time flag
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 08:26 PM »
have any of u guys trolled for pike near alexandria bay in the 1000 islands. im going up for vacation in two weeks and would like to troll for them.
hurry grab that rod.

www.teamthrillseeker.com

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.