FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Flatfish For Pike  (Read 10835 times)

devil-man

Re: Flatfish For Pike
« Reply #15 on: Jun 28, 2005, 03:52 AM »
...pike are meant to be considered the sharks of the freshwater world when they are as picky as a baby. Its just every once in a while a pike will hammer a large lure so they are considered aggressive. IMHO

You should see the pike around here, TFB.
They ARE sharks and will smash the hell out of anything.
My nieces are afraid to go swimming in the lake...
Check out the Silver Lake (NY) thread.
Hardwater and open, it's hard NOT to catch pike.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #16 on: Jun 29, 2005, 04:49 PM »
Lol...I always find it funny when I hear about pike fishing in your guys' area and canada. Its like a complete different way of fishing because yours are so aggressive and ours can be just plain picky! Pike are almost never caught through the ice here in CO. In that clear, deep, rocky lake (taylor park reservoir) pike are never caught through the ice...it is said they go deep and dormant. but I finally found a lake (crawford reservoir) where I averaged 3 a trip during ice season. I want to open water fish it now to see what it has to offer! Hopefully snowmelt hasn't made it murky (murky meaning red...0" of visibility).

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #17 on: Jul 12, 2005, 05:43 PM »
I believe pike are agressive elsewhere. Colorado Pike are catchable but they are extremely finicky. It is just a matter of casting, casting, and casting some more. Fishing for pike in Colorado is akin to fishing for musky elsewhere. My average in a hard day of fishing is two or three, and four or five is a great day. Its more common to catch trout while fishing for pike than it is to catch pike. Colorado is just really unique.
Do any of you out here average 10 pike per day when your targeting them?

devil-man

« Reply #18 on: Jul 13, 2005, 05:46 AM »
Do any of you out here average 10 pike per day when your targeting them?

I usually target them until about 10AM, they seem to stop feeding after that around here. On a good morning we'll get 4 or 5. 
Later in the day while targeting bass we'll always get a couple.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #19 on: Jul 14, 2005, 03:57 PM »
I go at first light till 11am, usually 4-7 pike, one over 30"

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #20 on: Aug 09, 2005, 05:23 PM »
I go at first light till 11am, usually 4-7 pike, one over 30"

I'm averaging about that this year in the Yampa River in Colorado, with one or two surpassing 30".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.