FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pure Fish Oil  (Read 5390 times)

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
Pure Fish Oil
« on: May 19, 2006, 09:43 PM »
Was wondering if anyone knows where you can buy pure unrefined fish oil ?
I would like to be able to put some in my frozen smelt that I use for ice fishing bait !
I think I have hit about every site on line and all I can find is refined or oils from health food places and pharmacy grade oil .

A quart would be enough to last a couple of seasons if I can find it .

Thanks for any info you can provide !

Tournament Drifter

Re: Pure Fish Oil
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 06:18 AM »

1tigger

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 09:02 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion guy's that I have gotten via post and im!
They will help !

seaweed01

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 04:04 PM »
What about the fish oil you can buy in a Chinese/Japanese specialty food store? That
should work also.

1tigger

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 06:42 AM »
What about the fish oil you can buy in a Chinese/Japanese specialty food store? That
should work also.

Been to a couple of those but all they had was fish sauce !
The unrefined oil is hard to find . You either pay throuhg the nose for a two or three ounce bottle or you have to buy a fifty gallon barrel of it !
Not sure about anyone else but fifty gallons is a little more than I need .
All I want to do is put about a teaspoon full in each bag of frozen smelt to help preserve the oil for my Ice fishing bait .

I'm not even sure it will even work yet but it cant hurt .

OTIS

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 09:51 AM »
Cut up some fish, submerge it in some water in a jar, set it out in the sun away from EVERYTHING, check on it once in a while, the oil will separate from the fish and rise to the top of the jar.  We used to do this and use it for raccoon bait.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 10:44 AM »
Or just put a bunch of oily fish in your wife's food processor and let er rip....... :laugh:

killitandgrillit

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 01:31 PM »
Catch some big lake trout (Siscowet), put 'em on a rack with a cookie sheet underneath. You could run a semi for days on the oil you'll get. They are up to 50% fatty oil. Tried smoking some last year and started a heck of a grease fire.
"I fish because I love to; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but suspect so many other concerns of men equally unimportant- and not nearly so much fun."

1tigger

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 03:59 PM »
Or just put a bunch of oily fish in your wife's food processor and let er rip....... :laugh:

Thanks but no thanks ! If I did thay I would be looking for a new home and more than likely wake up without eyebrows or something !

I have one of my own for that ...I use it to make my own stink bait !

adipose

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 12:27 PM »
I use cod liver oil in my fish bait.You can buy it at health food stores.liquid or caps.sure smells like fish.been using it for catching whitefish for years now.I soften trout pellets with hot water then add couple of ingredients like cod liver and other stuff.I make a sort of mud that stays on a dough hook(trebble with a spring shank).you can add cornstarch to stiffen your bait.hope this helps.tight lines

1tigger

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 10:40 PM »
Thanks ! I also thought of the cod liver oil thing but was'nt sure if it would work because it was refined to be clean of impurities .
I have seen it in capsule form but havent seen it yet in liquid yet . I do know its available though .
Iwill check a health food store as suggested . Thanks again .

adipose

« Reply #11 on: Jun 08, 2006, 09:19 PM »
most cod liver oil smells seriously like fish ;)

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #12 on: Jun 08, 2006, 10:28 PM »

I have seen it in capsule form but havent seen it yet in liquid yet . I do know its available though .

Most of the pharmacies around here carry bottles of liquid Cod Liver Oil....GNC also has it I think - along with some very fish-attracting amino acids also.

GasBlaster

• Welcomes green fish !!
« Reply #13 on: Jun 09, 2006, 05:20 AM »
Menhaden Oil  !!!   Try some of that .  They have it for shark fishing . Its about 15 -20 dollars a gallon .  Some real fishy smelling stuff . Google it or try a salt water tackle shop

Little Brown Dog

« Reply #14 on: Jun 12, 2006, 12:58 PM »
Try the smelt oil.  Good stuff.

http://www.ridgerunnerscents.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.