FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Boat Ramp Etiquette  (Read 8188 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette
« Reply #30 on: Oct 14, 2020, 12:27 PM »
Lake George was a disaster Sunday.  Nothing like watching 2 different boat operators clog up the entire launch at Million dollar beach because they didn't know how to load their boats.  Both had trailers way too deep.  One guy was literally swimming around his boat and trailer in 58 degree water trying to get it centered.  The guy next to him was so deep his boat wasn't touching the carpeted bunks.  I showed him how to slide on as I was loading up so hopefully that's one poor soul saved.  I suspect these were people pulling their boats for the season.  I must have been waiting with 15 other boats to get off!

taxid

« Reply #31 on: Oct 21, 2020, 10:19 AM »
our boat ramp has become a locals office.  he is running a canoe rental business off it.  they plug up the ramp with cars and his stack of canoes and yacks.  its getting old fast.  the other day there was a guy yelling about all the people in his way.  I don't blame him its a mess sometimes.   

I wonder if he has a permit to do so? There was a guy renting out PWC's on Wawasee at a public access several years ago, and I think he had a permit to do so. I was doing a newspaper outdoor column at the time and took a picture of it. He got all bent out of shape and said he had a permit or O.K. from the INDNR do to so. I told him to calm down I was just taking pictures.

Bass tournaments definitely need a permit and they've made them relocate on weekends to keep from jamming up the access ramps.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #32 on: Oct 22, 2020, 05:52 AM »
Thats one thing I didn't notice this year...bass tourneys.  I don't thing CT issued permits due to covid.  Here they can't start until 7 so id always beat them out but.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #33 on: Oct 22, 2020, 07:56 AM »
We still had bass tourneys up here in NH. Saw them out a bunch. The ones I've experienced had amazing boat ramp etiquette.

Mac Attack

« Reply #34 on: Oct 22, 2020, 08:16 AM »
We still had bass tourneys up here in NH. Saw them out a bunch. The ones I've experienced had amazing boat ramp etiquette.

Yea Geoff.
I would expect it out of them.
They are doing it a LOT.
I would also think their clubs and organizations preach it to them.
They disrupt things for the locals so much that I would think they preach it to their members so as not to draw negative publicity.

maybe anyway.

lowaccord66

« Reply #35 on: Oct 22, 2020, 02:29 PM »
Not around me Mac.  Especially and Candlewood.  Mob mentality....they typically are the majority and act as such at least around my parts.  I have noticed manners increase the further you get away from the tri-state. 

New Story from fishing last Sunday with my daughter.  We had landed some rainbows in view of the launch where I had noticed an empty trailer backed in...waiting...20 mins of fishing go by and I decide its time to head in.  I'm wondering where the boat to this trailer is.  Turns out it one guy came and blocked the ramp, trailer dunked, while his crew zipped around the lake having fun.  I kept my mouth shut.

Then...it took them 30 mins to get the boat on the trailer right, because of course they were too deep.  I still stayed quiet.  Mind you I had my 8 year old with me so setting the example despite my growing rage took precedence.

They finally pull out and my daughter is a few steps ahead of my so I finally get my chance. 

"Hey dude you know if you put the trailer in shallower and slide up you'll be all set in 2 seconds"

"Thanks for your instruction" he retorts....

I thanked him for being a Richard cranium who thinks its ok to block the entire launch while his crew actively boats.  Thankfully he knew what I meant while my daughter did not.

So glad pleasure boating season is over...

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #36 on: Oct 22, 2020, 07:15 PM »
Just can’t make that type of stuff up. Loved the added “der’s” to help set the tone

filetandrelease

« Reply #37 on: Oct 22, 2020, 07:21 PM »

Richard cranium cloning 😉

lowaccord66

« Reply #38 on: Oct 22, 2020, 07:51 PM »
Fred I thought I was the only one to suffer through that stuff.  Crazy isn't it?  When it got warm here the conservation officers had to constantly remove non-boaters from the boat launch.  Literally had people pumping off the dock behind me while I am backing off the trailer...pure madness.  Ironically too, I got my first ever safety check after years of boating.  Passed it too.  Small win at the launch. 

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #39 on: Oct 23, 2020, 09:24 AM »
Around me the tourney guys are pretty amazing. Or at least I haven't encountered the bad apples. I usually check the schedule to see of any tournaments before I plan a day of fishing, but this one day I forgot. I show up fairly early, but not super early, it's late in the fall so 6:30am is early enough. Show up and there are a half dozen bass boats in the que waiting to launch. I'm like "Oh boy, this should be a treat" but the next thing I know it's as if Moses had parted the Red Sea for me. They are all pointing at me and my obvious, aluminum, coldwater trolling boat with electric downriggers and waving me down to the ramp. I hear "Let this guy through, get him in the water"  I'm solo, with a fairly big boat, but the master of ceremonies it seems helps me tie up to the dock while I go park. I imagine if it was closer to 8am when they can start the tournament then it would have been a different story but I was pleasantly impressed with how they behaved.

On the other hand I do recall being stuck on a lake when some absolute Richard Cranium ran out of gas in his truck while he spent an hour working on his inboard engine with the boat still strapped down and backed into the lake. Disabled boat and truck at the only, single lane launch on the lake. He's lucky I didn't have anywhere to be and could still fish.

Mac Attack

« Reply #40 on: Oct 23, 2020, 10:22 AM »
Around me the tourney guys are pretty amazing. Or at least I haven't encountered the bad apples. I usually check the schedule to see of any tournaments before I plan a day of fishing, but this one day I forgot. I show up fairly early, but not super early, it's late in the fall so 6:30am is early enough. Show up and there are a half dozen bass boats in the que waiting to launch. I'm like "Oh boy, this should be a treat" but the next thing I know it's as if Moses had parted the Red Sea for me. They are all pointing at me and my obvious, aluminum, coldwater trolling boat with electric downriggers and waving me down to the ramp. I hear "Let this guy through, get him in the water"  I'm solo, with a fairly big boat, but the master of ceremonies it seems helps me tie up to the dock while I go park. I imagine if it was closer to 8am when they can start the tournament then it would have been a different story but I was pleasantly impressed with how they behaved.

On the other hand I do recall being stuck on a lake when some absolute Richard Cranium ran out of gas in his truck while he spent an hour working on his inboard engine with the boat still strapped down and backed into the lake. Disabled boat and truck at the only, single lane launch on the lake. He's lucky I didn't have anywhere to be and could still fish.

Awesome on the bass guys Geoff.

That other idiot is why we carry flare guns.
 8)

bassin212

« Reply #41 on: Oct 23, 2020, 10:58 AM »
Some pretty great stories! I usually fish less pressured lakes and get there super early so I don't have to deal with people. I live in a condo association with a speed limit on the lake, so most people are kayakers or pleasure boaters. My biggest issue is letting their dogs swim un leashed and running all around the boat Ramp Area. We typically have a "lake host" which checks your boat for invasive species before dumping in. You'd think 2-4 minutes of me backing down and talking to the host is enough of a warning to get their dogs under control. NOPE! I'll be backing in and have to stop because their dog is swimming behind my trailer. I also launch by myself. After the first couple times I just say, i'm backing up and I can't see your dog and I won't be stopping! We also have kayakers who don't use a trailer who think it's necessary to back down to the waters edge in the middle of the ramp when they could just use the dirt pull of on the side that also goes straight to the water....... The best one was yesterday I pull past the ramp, put my hazards on and get ready to back in and some lady pulls into the launch. I figure, fair enough she doesn't want to wait for me to back up she'll just go to the side where most ppl park who are staying for a while. She stops in the middle of the launch and is taking pictures of the d**n leaves! I was so mad I just started backing up and she was so scared that she had to do a 10 point turn and backed into the water   :D

lowaccord66

« Reply #42 on: Oct 26, 2020, 07:34 AM »
Happy to report 0 boat ramp issues this past weekend!  Also ran into a tournament all out of state guys.  They were pretty good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.