FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit out sponsor FishUSA.com

Author Topic: 09 Salmon River Salmon and Steelhead BS Thread on the NY page!  (Read 9212 times)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
Just started a new Salmon River Salmon and Steelhead BS Thread on the NEW YORK page of myfishfinder if anyone's interested!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

SNAGGER

Re: ANY STEELHEADERS DOWN HERE!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2009, 10:49 PM »
 Hey salmon rebel getting your boat ready for the big "o" yet?
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

salmonrebel

• "YOU HAVE TO KILL IT!...TO GRILL IT!"
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2009, 01:06 PM »
Hey salmon rebel getting your boat ready for the big "o" yet?
I actually go up there most of the time on my father's boat. Never really had to buy one yet. I don't know, how much, I'll be going up there this year yet. My money's really tight this year. I'm trying to talk my buddy Rebelfisher into taking his Smokercraft up there for some early season browns though. I'm pushing for next year,  to get my own rig for up there. If it wasn't for hooking up with a couple of the wrong women over the years, I would have had my own boat there already. I've lucked out though, with having my father to go out there with. Plus, me and the Rebelfisher hook up with a friend a couple times a year, that goes out of the Rochester area as well. I will defintely be up there till the day I die. Trolling L. Ontario is my favorite fishing I've ever done. Although, I'm gonna have to try some marlin, tuna, and tarpon one of these days too. :)
Between, me and the Rebelfisher, we have everything we need, except the boat...Downriggers, temp probe, Diawa sealine linecounters on uglysticks, wireline, fireline, and reg. trolling(mono), flashers, flies, bait-heads, and probably about 5000 spoons. Between the two of us, we could stock Cabelas!...Really! :laugh:

You know. All the years going up there. I've never fished the river, except during the salmon run. Going for the stealhead in the rivers is something, I am going to try to find the time for as well. For anyone, that doesn't know. Those stealhead fight like a smaller version of a tarpon. They seem to be out of the water, more than they're in it. They literally fly, very fun to catch. And when they are over 10+lbs. They are no slouches. They are definitely one of the hardest fighting fish you'll ever get into. :flex:  :thumbup_smilie:
  Our 2nd Amendment isn't a priviledge!, IT'S A RIGHT!,... That, "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!".... "WHACK 'EM! AN' STACK 'EM!"

Skipper4080

• Pay attention to the planer,don't you miss em'
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2009, 01:36 PM »
If you've haven't done the early season browns you are in for a treat, used to troll Catfish Creek in April and once you found the pattern the clips on the tow lines popped constantly used to fill the box with browns avg. about 5 lbs.
     Know what you mean about spoon inventory, painted my own spoons for years and boy did they catch fish,actually produced better than store bought spoons.
Never get excited,there's a reason for everything,I just don't know what it is!!

salmonrebel

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2009, 02:00 PM »
If you've haven't done the early season browns you are in for a treat, used to troll Catfish Creek in April and once you found the pattern the clips on the tow lines popped constantly used to fill the box with browns avg. about 5 lbs.
     Know what you mean about spoon inventory, painted my own spoons for years and boy did they catch fish,actually produced better than store bought spoons.
I've only went for the early season browns a couple times over the years. My father was always busy that of year. I always tried to get him to go. They get them literally right in the marina as well. I don't need to tell you guys. The trout up there get huge. Like I've said before. The trout season down here in PA. is pretty much a joke, compared to that up there.
  Our 2nd Amendment isn't a priviledge!, IT'S A RIGHT!,... That, "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!".... "WHACK 'EM! AN' STACK 'EM!"

Skipper4080

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2009, 05:39 PM »
Yea that is a sad fact about pa trout fishing there is no comparison,none what so ever.
Never get excited,there's a reason for everything,I just don't know what it is!!

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2009, 11:10 PM »
there are big trout in PA also.......  they are just not as frequent.  Look at all the big waters that PA has that has trout in them.  aql of them produce big trout just not as many.  the PAC and raystown both have the same food forage as the Big O but do not have tha size of water.  both of these lakes produce big trout each year, and the average trou that is caught is about the same in size as the big pond. 

WHEN you get a trophy IN PA water it really could be a fish of a life time considering the chances are slimmer.

if you fish the streams then your out of lusk here in Pa for a trophy trout unless you want a fish that has no fins rubbed nose and ulcers on it. 

DAve

salmonrebel

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2009, 11:37 PM »
there are big trout in PA also.......  they are just not as frequent.  Look at all the big waters that PA has that has trout in them.  aql of them produce big trout just not as many.  the PAC and raystown both have the same food forage as the Big O but do not have tha size of water.  both of these lakes produce big trout each year, and the average trou that is caught is about the same in size as the big pond. 

WHEN you get a trophy IN PA water it really could be a fish of a life time considering the chances are slimmer.

if you fish the streams then your out of lusk here in Pa for a trophy trout unless you want a fish that has no fins rubbed nose and ulcers on it. 

DAve

Yea. you got that right JM...
Me and the Rebelfisher get some real nice ones out of Harvey's. But, it is a big difference, and you get spoiled when you go up to L. Ontario. We're going to try to get up on the Pack as well, for the browns, as well as the stripers.

BIGCREW

« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2009, 12:32 PM »
the lackawanna river,believe it or not has some sizeable trout too if you know where to find them,the early carp run is a blast also.

SNAGGER

« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2009, 11:02 PM »
My buddies fish the lake( EASTERN LAKE ONTARIO) everyday for a living and they said in last two years, the browns are even more bottom orientated than ever. They have switched to feeding on small BROWN gobies instead of alewives in the spring. I saw it first hand in my fish cleaning station, bellies full of gobies! X-raps were good last spring(brownish gold/orange), but I don't have to tell you guys! What a spring last year was for numbers and especially size, there was some monsters! Also if you like big trout, I grew up on Cayuga lake before moving to the salmon river. I still go down there once in a while!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Skipper4080

« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2009, 08:30 AM »
That's very interesting thank you for the info,wondered why at times the downriggers with dark colored small spoons on cloudy days went bananas,guess I need to open up my mind a little more, times are changing.

salmonrebel

« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2009, 10:27 AM »
That pattern definitely came on the last couple years. It just goes to show, how quick those inavasives get a grip in our ecosystems.

salmonrebel

« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2009, 10:29 AM »
the lackawanna river,believe it or not has some sizeable trout too if you know where to find them,the early carp run is a blast also.
I haven't fished that since I was a kid. My father used to take me back there for the trout, somewhere around Forest City.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2009, 10:39 AM »
i can't wait for the fall backs this year last year was excellant :)
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

SNAGGER

« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2009, 11:51 PM »
i can't wait for the fall backs this year last year was excellant :)
Trap what you doing down here? Heard there's a few brave souls out there fishing browns already, let you know if I hear anything guys. Almost brownie time SALMON REBEL!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.