FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit out sponsor FishUSA.com

Author Topic: susquehanna River Chat  (Read 3801 times)

icefishermik

susquehanna River Chat
« on: Apr 04, 2009, 06:14 PM »
anyone know if the smallmouth fishing has improved here ? i used to fish the Duncannon area. haven't been there for a few years. i heard the smallmouth fishing has declined considerably in the last 5 or 6 years. has the lower Juniata been affected? any info would be appreciated. i love catching smallmouths.

getthenet007

Re: susquehanna River Chat
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2009, 06:17 PM »
I havent heard about a decline... If anything the SMB have been going strong IMO and i only fish for them a hand full of times a year but the last time i fished for them i caught 40 in 2 hours... Just about every cast!!  The Susky is one hellova fishery!!!  Not just for smallies! ;)

getthenet007

« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2009, 06:19 PM »
But i should say this..  Im not familar with the area your talking about... Im in the Nichols/Owego/Barton NY area..

SweetValleyYoungblood

« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2009, 06:22 PM »
I went out today and got nothing!!! Was out for about 2 hours and didn't get a single bite.

getthenet007

« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2009, 08:26 PM »
Its still a little early IMO.. And i have been out the last couple days with the same results!!   :-\

topher7694

• Here fishy fishy fishy.....
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2009, 08:36 PM »
same here..too early down my way yet.  Water levels are still high and temps are still low..I fish from NY line below Windsor down into PA and back up to the state line by Kirkwood.  The river last year was a great fishery for me as I caught my PB smallie and walleye out of it late last fall.  Right after iceout, some people were having great success with walleyes outside of the Vestal NY area and catfish in the Apalachin area as well..soon wenough the river will be ready..
I've got thousands invested, she's got a $20 combo and a can of worms--I get out fished EVERY time--Gotta Love It !!

getthenet007

« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2009, 10:01 PM »
Agreed!!! ;)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2009, 10:11 PM »
Agreed!!! ;)
   WHATTTTTSSSSS SSAAAPPPPPPP!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

topher7694

« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2009, 11:31 PM »
Snagger, how was the Salmon River fishing this past fall and winter? I missed last season due to a job change, but look forward to coming back up in the fall for a few torpedo steelies.. ;D
I've got thousands invested, she's got a $20 combo and a can of worms--I get out fished EVERY time--Gotta Love It !!

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2009, 12:41 AM »
Snagger, how was the Salmon River fishing this past fall and winter? I missed last season due to a job change, but look forward to coming back up in the fall for a few torpedo steelies.. ;D
Salmon run was great, but we lost the lower black rapids to that greedy senator. And all I can say about Steelhead, It's been the best last 3 years I can remember! The Salmon/steelhead/browns have been so good last few years , it's got me kind of worried about a posible collapse like in the mid 90's! Hope I'm Wrong! Check out my BS thread, we beat around the bush and use code words for the creeks, but my water level/river reports are dead on accurate!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

topher7694

« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2009, 08:21 AM »
when I heard about the Lower Rapids, I was shocked but have seen that kind of thing alot down around home as well...just started fly fishing this spring and hope to be experienced enough to bring it up that way this fall..

EJF

« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2009, 03:42 PM »
I wade the river between Duncannon and Marysville a good bit and the smallies have really declined over the last few years. The PFBC has been trying to figure out what's up. T hat being said I still do good not as many but some real nice ones.The days of 20-60 seem to be over. :'(

icefishermik

« Reply #12 on: Apr 05, 2009, 07:28 PM »
thanks EJF. i usually float from Clemsen to Duncannon so we're fishing roughly the same area. how bout the Juniata around Thomsontown? ever fish there? seems like the fishery wasn't affected up towards NY. good to hear you're catching nice size fish. sounds like it's worth a trip.

john t.

« Reply #13 on: Apr 05, 2009, 09:07 PM »
The west Branch has been a pretty good fishery the past couple of years. lots of smallies. and some pretty good walleye fishing, north of Williamsport.

Hooked Up

« Reply #14 on: Apr 06, 2009, 02:53 PM »
Agreed!!! ;)

WASSSSSUPPPPPP 007!!!!!

Mention of the Susky and you show up,looking for lessons on the river??? ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.