FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit out sponsor FishUSA.com

Author Topic: Sayer's Lake/ Bald Eagle State Park Creek Channel  (Read 13675 times)

fishingood

Hey guys, was just wondering how many people have tried fishing the portion of Sayers Lake where you can travel back a little bit, and fish the creek bed of bald eagle creek, where it runs into the lake. When you first enter the park, you will see a sign for Bullit Run Launch area ( or when you come to the big white sign for Jim's Minnows and Bait it will be the other way ) This is a smaller launch area, best suited for small and unpowered boats.

I feel that this is one of the more underfished areas of the lake, and some of the best fishing. I find that generally, people like to flock straight to hunter's cove, or to near the bridge. There is good fishing in those areas, but it gets crowded quickly, and the fish seem to get sluggish since they are seeing so many lures and baits. The creek channel area is much more peaceful, and I've had some of my best fishing here. In the creek channel area, the water temperature drops probably about 15 degrees, so I have had great fishing even in the sluggish dog days of summer. There are some submerged rocks and brush here, last year noticed a bunch of bait fish jumping. Thinking they may be getting chased by a larger fish, I threw a Zoom Swim N Minnow into the area, it was met with something slashing at it, putting up one of the biggest fights I've ever felt, before breaking me off.

Fish_ON

Re: Sayer's Lake/ Bald Eagle State Park Creek Channel
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2011, 03:21 PM »
been there couple times with limited success always did better in the more populated areas? might give it another try this year .. heard theres some catfish there

Big Water

« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2011, 05:07 PM »
That's a prime spring spot as long as the creek isn't too muddy.  Lot's of overlooked bass and panfish.  I caught 47 crappies on 47 casts with a feather jig there several years ago.  No BS.  Also a good hideaway when the mindless pleasure boaters show up.

fishingood

« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2011, 07:56 PM »
yea my personal favorites on the lake include the islands out from upper greens run launch area, "the point" in hunter's run, and in hunter's run where you can follow the submerged road out to where it breaks up, in about 20 feet of water, providing great structure. I always hook at least 1 big fish in here, including a 31 inch, 10 pound catfish, and a 5 pound bass.

BUT, the creek channel has become my "go to" spot when it's too crowded, or nothing's biting. For example, last year, was fishing during 4th of July weekend, caught nothing except 2 tiny crappie, and got tired of the cruise liners who have no clue what "NO WAKE" means almost knocking my tiny boat over. So, I went up and launched and headed to the creek channel, caught a couple 2+ pound bass, alot of panfish, and a catfish, and this is when everyone was complaining how bad the fishing was sucking

WildOutdoorAddict

• Get the net!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:01 PM »
It's always good catfishing around those few islands.  Good perch fishing in the spring at the nursery launch also were you mentioned also! There's always fish willing to bite in this lake, you just gotta find em.

beerduck

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2011, 05:00 PM »
i actually caught trout throuh the ice up there

WildOutdoorAddict

• Get the net!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2011, 06:35 PM »
It wouldn't suprise me if there isn't some big trout roaming around in there from the Bald Eagle. I know they put plenty of big breeders in there every year. I've caught em at the spillway in years past.

polar bear

• Fishing isn't just something I do , its who I am..
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2011, 02:06 PM »
am I going to have to start trolling sayers too ;D ;D ;D

john t.

« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:12 PM »
i caught a nice brown trout out of sayers a few years back thats how i meet Russ ( icenutter )

WildOutdoorAddict

• Get the net!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2011, 09:35 PM »
am I going to have to start trolling sayers too ;D ;D ;D
Come on down PB.. Maybe I can follow you around to see how it's done by a master ;D

fishingood

« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2011, 01:55 AM »
Well, I haven't been to the lake in a few weeks, but word on Iceshanty, as well as the PFBC, is that the ice melting is occuring rapidly. So, while I'm still thankful for a great hardwater season, I got spring fever and I'm lookin forward to some good ice out fishing. Cuz if you think about it, these fish have been seeing the same old jigs and minnows for the entire winter, they haven't seen a Senko Worm or a crank bait in months.

With that said, what are everyone's most productive techniques/ locations on the lake for fishing right after ice out. Not trying to steal any spots, just curious as to opinions. I've had great success fishing in the corner's of the lake opposite the bridge, as well as the drop offs from the road in hunters cove.

john t.

« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2011, 04:21 PM »
i like the bridge , the road bed at the beach ( when the water is drawn down )and the back water below the dam and my bait of choice is a little pink jig , with some crappie nibbles

nez

« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2011, 03:02 PM »
I like Marina point with small twisters on 4 pound test for crappies.  You can catch 200 fish a day ;D

carpcatcher

« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2011, 10:36 AM »
You can catch 200 fish a day ;D
With 3 being keepers :'(
Love 2 fish

digger053

• just do it
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2011, 05:58 AM »
3????????????????????
my arent we being genorus ??? ??? ??? :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.