FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ask the Wyoming Game & Fish  (Read 85266 times)

wyreellifeguy

Re: Ask the Wyoming Game & Fish
« Reply #45 on: Jun 06, 2011, 04:23 PM »
went out there this weekend looked ok never got a bit thou throw lures the hole time 
Justin D.

307_BOWS

« Reply #46 on: Jun 06, 2011, 07:47 PM »
How much is this year going to affect walleye populations in lakes around Wyoming such as Seminoe and Boysen since the BOR drastically dropped the water levels all spring during the spawn to absorb the massive runoff, since walleye are spring lake and river spawners?

tumbleweed

« Reply #47 on: Jun 10, 2011, 09:43 PM »
What is the status of Good's reservoir in Carbon County?
Thank you for any information.
Tumbleweed

WGFDFishBioLaramie

« Reply #48 on: Jun 14, 2011, 11:06 AM »
What is the status of Good's reservoir in Carbon County?
Thank you for any information.
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed,

Good Reservoir #2 has been stocked almost annually and exclusively with brook trout since 1996.  Periodic winterkills do occur and low average lengths in 1998 (12.1”) and 2003 (11.2”) may be attributable to winter or summerkills in this shallow reservoir.  The last sampling event was in 2009, with the next sampling to occur in 2012.  The large average length in 2009 (14.2”) indicated the reservoir had not suffered a winter or summer kill event since sampling in 2006.  This reservoir is very comparable with the Plains Lakes in terms of productivity, as is evident from the very healthy fish. The lake is stocked annually with 1,500 brook trout.  We do not get many reports from the reservoir, so I’m not sure if the lake survived the last couple of winters or not, but fish stocked annually grow rapidly.     

Thanks,

WGFDLaramieFishBio

1morefish

« Reply #49 on: Jun 25, 2011, 11:48 AM »
Regarding the new walleye length regulations at Glendo:

I know that g&f wants anglers  to keep the fish whole while transporting so that length can be measured. But, if while  camping for a period of time (at Glendo) can you still fillet and freeze in your camper freezer? Or do you have to freeze them whole or gutted? Gutting and freezing and then filleting again when you thaw them seems like a pain to me. I have mostly been releasing everything, but would like to know how to be legal if we want take some home. Also, if we fillet and eat them at the lake, will we be cited for having fillets in the cooler an hour or so before dinner?

WGFFishBio

« Reply #50 on: Jun 27, 2011, 10:09 AM »
Regarding the new walleye length regulations at Glendo:

I know that g&f wants anglers  to keep the fish whole while transporting so that length can be measured. But, if while  camping for a period of time (at Glendo) can you still fillet and freeze in your camper freezer? Or do you have to freeze them whole or gutted? Gutting and freezing and then filleting again when you thaw them seems like a pain to me. I have mostly been releasing everything, but would like to know how to be legal if we want take some home. Also, if we fillet and eat them at the lake, will we be cited for having fillets in the cooler an hour or so before dinner?

Good question. There has been a little confusion with this one.  Page 28 in the Fishing Regulations states that:
 "all walleye less than 15 must be released immediately"
"all walleye must be kept whole (gills and entrails may be removed) until the angler is off the water or ice and done fishing for the day"
"Once off the water or ice and done fishing for the day, walleye can be filleted for transportation and storage"

Heading back to your camper and extended camping at Glendo would be considered "storage", so you can fillet your walleye for storage in the freezer or for cooking dinner. The major thing that you must do is to leave an inch square of skin so that the fish can be identified by a warden (for possession limit purposes).

So, if your done fishing for the day, and back at your camper, the fish can be filleted, with a piece of skin for ID. If your not done fishing for the day, gut the fish, throw it on ice and fillet later. Remember that the daily limit is the same as the possession limit, 6 walleye.

Hope this helps.

LT

• Retired MFF Mod
  • "A larger flame-thrower, you will need."
« Reply #51 on: Jul 02, 2011, 12:45 PM »
Unless I missed a reply, couple of us had a question about Middle Depression Reservoir, mine was why is the water so murky (10-inch visibility) at ice season? I think the question another member had was why no fish? Thanks
                                                                  Don

wyreellifeguy

« Reply #52 on: Jul 02, 2011, 03:59 PM »
thanks LT for bringing this back up
Justin D.

LT

• Retired MFF Mod
  • "A larger flame-thrower, you will need."
« Reply #53 on: Jul 02, 2011, 04:59 PM »
Welcome. We figgered it was the bird droppings going into the open water by the aerator, hundreds of geese and ducks...would be nice to know, might be enough to make us not go back there  ::)

wyreellifeguy

« Reply #54 on: Jul 02, 2011, 08:38 PM »
i know it looked good a month or so back .
Justin D.

4x4elk

« Reply #55 on: Jul 08, 2011, 01:08 AM »
OK, here's my question. Dad takes kids out lets say 4 kids, dad has his 2 poles set with lines in the water, kids each have a pole or 2 in the water. Dad is tending his poles kids are with in reasonable range. Then one of the kids poles gets a hit dad reaches for the pole sets the hook and gives the pole to the kid... Is dad illegal for fishing with to many rods? Same story on Tip ups dad walks through and de ices 24 tip up's dad busted for to many lines? Reason I am asking is my Father in law got a 150.00 fine in Utah for setting the hook on my 10 year old daughters pole and gave it to her to reel in... I thought it was chicken but then again is was Utah! I could understand if it was another adult but I want to know how this might play out in Wyoming.
The ice is my boat so now it's a shore fishing I will go!

wyo700

« Reply #56 on: Jul 10, 2011, 10:38 AM »
i will be going up to granite hot springs in a couple of weeks and would like to fish granite creek.  i read the regs, i guess it is a little unclear to me but is that creek artificial flies and lures only or is it ok to use worms.  the way i am reading it, it is ok to use worms.  i wanted to make sure first though.  thanks

Fishwhisperer307

« Reply #57 on: Jul 27, 2011, 12:46 PM »
how the fish/fishing doing on the plains lakes? i heard a rumor they put broodstock in alsop is that true?

TN

« Reply #58 on: Aug 26, 2011, 04:30 PM »
Lots of good questions piling up that I'd like to hear see answers to.

Here's mine:  What is unique about Seminoe as compared to the other reservoirs on the N. Platte that causes the algae bloom (oft referrred to as "turnover") every August?  It doesn't appear to affect the fish or the fishing but makes water-sporting less than desireable for the kids!

jopes

« Reply #59 on: Sep 30, 2011, 12:44 PM »
I don't know if this has ever been asked yet, but. Whats the growth rates on Bass in Wyoming?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.