FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Humminbird Helix 5 question  (Read 1651 times)

volume4130

Humminbird Helix 5 question
« on: Apr 12, 2018, 12:07 PM »
I've been looking at the Helix 5 for my kayak and for ice fishing.  The logical thing to do would be to purchase the ICE model, but I'm interested in getting something with down imaging for open water.  I'm pretty new to the sonar game, so I don't know too much about all the features.  I guess the question is, is there an ICE model that has down imaging? or would I be able to use the regular unit with an ice transducer and use the down imaging almost like an Aqua Vu?

I really like the chart plotting, GPS and the other features, but those seem to be standard to both models.  If anyone has any experience with these units, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

fish/hunt4ever

Re: Humminbird Helix 5 question
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2018, 03:00 PM »
I know there is a thread on ice shanty about the helix 5 and the ice fishing side. I bought the helix 7 and like it so far need to play with it for a bit to find out more function about it but so far so good.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2018, 03:09 PM »
I have a Helix 5 DI/GPS that I bought for my boat when they first came out. When winter came, I bought an ice ducer for it, but to be honest I only use it in the flasher mode when I'm on the ice. I have no idea if DI works with the ice ducer. Worst case scenario you can use the regular skimmer transducer and just make a holder for it. I would think if you are primarily going to use it for open water, don't buy the ice model. You can make a case for it and a battery out of something. I had an old Piranha Max Portable that had a carry case, I bought a Ram Mount and made myself an ice model.

As for the machine in general, I like it quite a bit. The menus are really easy to navigate. My new boat came with a Lowrance and it's been a real nightmare for me to learn.

volume4130

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2018, 09:02 AM »
I have a Helix 5 DI/GPS that I bought for my boat when they first came out. When winter came, I bought an ice ducer for it, but to be honest I only use it in the flasher mode when I'm on the ice. I have no idea if DI works with the ice ducer. Worst case scenario you can use the regular skimmer transducer and just make a holder for it. I would think if you are primarily going to use it for open water, don't buy the ice model. You can make a case for it and a battery out of something. I had an old Piranha Max Portable that had a carry case, I bought a Ram Mount and made myself an ice model.

As for the machine in general, I like it quite a bit. The menus are really easy to navigate. My new boat came with a Lowrance and it's been a real nightmare for me to learn.

So there is a flasher mode on the DI model?  If there is, that's exactly what I'm looking for.  I see two units in your picture, so not sure if you were referring to the separate flasher.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2018, 12:43 PM »

So there is a flasher mode on the DI model?  If there is, that's exactly what I'm looking for.  I see two units in your picture, so not sure if you were referring to the separate flasher.

Yes, there is a flasher mode on my Helix DI GPS for sure. I use it ice fishing all the time!

WyoMinFisher

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2018, 10:40 AM »
DI does not work with the Iceducer.  I bought the Helix 7 and the Ice package also.  Uses quite a bit more battery than regular flasher, would recommend a lithium battery!!

volume4130

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2018, 08:32 AM »
Thanks for the input, you guys were much quicker than Humminbird on the response, but here it is:

" Yes the Helix Chirp G2 models have the flasher mode. The only difference is the transducer that it comes packaged with and the Ice unit has a portable bag and battery."

So there ya go.  Maybe by the time I pull the trigger on this thing, it will stop being winter in New England...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.