FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Tournament Bass Boat Recommendation  (Read 1580 times)

JMZ

Tournament Bass Boat Recommendation
« on: Jul 01, 2019, 01:18 PM »
 My son wants to get a bass boat for fishing college tournaments. We have a Bass Tracker 60 HP with a 70lb trolling motor and Hummingbird DI/SI fish finder but his friends have fiberglass boats with bigger motors. Can anyone recommend if he should get an aluminum or fiberglass boat?
Milita Member of Iceshanty.com

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Tournament Bass Boat Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2019, 02:27 PM »
I have always been a Triton fan for the way they ride and the way the storage lockers are made. But to be honest, Bass boats are so species specific that any bass boat you can find in good or new condition for what the wallet can afford will do just fine. They all go fast and have a trolling motor which is key to success. After that, add-ons are endless.
Wicked Wec

Bartman44

« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2019, 04:22 PM »
First, I'd check with the tournament organizers as there may be restrictions. My sons compete here in NY in several organizations and many of the tourneys require a  minimum of  150HP.

Second, what types of water bodies are the tourneys? Aluminum is OK for small lakes but bigger bodies of water could be dangerous with a smaller boat as you don't get to pick your weather on tourney day.

Third, what type of vehicle will be pulling the rig? Fiberglass is heavier so you'll need  a car/truck with a transmission sized for the weight you are pulling.  Aluminum is great for towing.

Last, it's all about the engine, many of the bass boats on the market perform well and last a long time but be wary of used engine sales and do your homework before buying. My son's last used  boat  had a transferrable engine warranty, for example.         

Good luck to your son on the trail,
Bart

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2019, 06:08 AM »
What's the budget? 

filetandrelease

« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2019, 08:02 AM »

JMZ

« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2019, 01:12 PM »
I'm looking to buy a used boat for less than $30,000. I plan to take a home equity loan which I can get for 5.9%. I just want my son to be able to compete with the students in college tournaments. Most of them have fiberglass boats with 250hp. He said that speed does not matter but he is concerned fishing on big water like Erie, Patomic, Chesapeake. Check out some of these college tournament at FLW.com and Bassmaster.com
Milita Member of Iceshanty.com

mcully

« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2019, 04:45 AM »
Fishing the big lakes like Ontario and Erie means a bigger hull with enough power to get moving and dependable. Look for a little older hull and put a new motor on the rear so you know the motor. 21' triton, ranger, skeeter not too old or you'll turn it into  a project replacing everything electrical. Speed matters to some degree since the more time the line is in the water the more time you have to make money. Hit one of your local lakes for a weekend tourney and see what guys are running typically it's all over the board from antiques to mega custom rides. Safe solid trailer and newer motor makes life nicer in my experience.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.