FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I need help on trailer tires  (Read 3653 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
I need help on trailer tires
« on: May 28, 2019, 09:13 AM »
Any suggestions? They all seem to be garbage. I blew up another one yesterday on 93. Where can I get real, good quality trailer tires that aren't cheap, Chinese junk? My trailer takes 175/80R13's and the best I can seem to find are Loadstar radials. I want something good quality that balances well and might last a few seasons unlike the Carlisle Trails that are self destructing on me every 2000 miles or less.

Mac Attack

Re: I need help on trailer tires
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 09:48 AM »
Geoff - a couple things.
What load range are you buying, maybe C or D.
Look to see if they make a load range E in your tire size.
If not, what about going with a larger diameter wheel and tire.
Less RPM's = less heat = longer life.
Also, your wheel bearings will thank you.

I had the same issues as you on a trailer I was towing an 18' Sportcraft back in the late 90's.
I loaded the sportctraft up with aa kicker and other items like downriggers, planner boards, etc.
Things got a bit heavier and I was chewing up tires.
I bought a trailer out in Michigan with larger tires and sold my older trailer.
Worked out awesome.
Also, the newer trailer I bought allowed the boat to sit lower in it.
This made towing things WAY better and also meant I didn't have to put the trailer as far into the water.

Go to a truck scale somewhere and weight the trailer with the boat on it, and make sure it fully loaded - fuel, coolers with ice, drinks, etc.
Then look at the load rating of the tires and see where things fall.

Good luck.
Mac

Jethro

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 10:37 AM »
Yeah, I can't seem to find heavier than 8ply load range D tires in that size. They are rated at 1650 lbs so I can't believe my boat and trailer exceed that. Boat is 2800 lbs factory, I figure 1200 lbs motors/fuel/gear and trailer of 1200 lbs, I'm still quite a bit below 6600 lbs but maybe my math is completely wrong. I have a certified scale near me I used with another trailer, I'll do the same with this one. If I can go to a 14" tire over the 13" I'd have a lot more options but I don't think it's going to fit and I'm already too tall at my home lake ramp. I'll make a call to EZ Loader to find out I guess.

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 11:17 AM »
Yeah, I can't seem to find heavier than 8ply load range D tires in that size. They are rated at 1650 lbs so I can't believe my boat and trailer exceed that. Boat is 2800 lbs factory, I figure 1200 lbs motors/fuel/gear and trailer of 1200 lbs, I'm still quite a bit below 6600 lbs but maybe my math is completely wrong. I have a certified scale near me I used with another trailer, I'll do the same with this one. If I can go to a 14" tire over the 13" I'd have a lot more options but I don't think it's going to fit and I'm already too tall at my home lake ramp. I'll make a call to EZ Loader to find out I guess.

Sit back and look it over.
Can you lower the boat in the trailer?
Also, what about the fenders?
Will they accept a larger diameter tire?
Can you raise the fenders an inch or so to do this?

Jethro

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 07:48 AM »
With the torsion axles I don't think I can put a bigger tire under there. And the boat can't go lower because it will hit the fenders. I think I'm just gonna have to tow slower and keep buying freaking tires for this thing.

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 07:50 AM »
With the torsion axles I don't think I can put a bigger tire under there. And the boat can't go lower because it will hit the fenders. I think I'm just gonna have to tow slower and keep buying freaking tires for this thing.

New (used) trailer

Jethro

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 08:01 AM »
New (used) trailer

I guess... It's not an old trailer, and it's not cheap. $4,400.00 bought brand new in 2014. Real nice EZ Loader with dual torsions, correct for weight and size of boat. I don't know what I would replace it with that would be any more correct? I guess bigger tires...

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 12:56 PM »
I guess... It's not an old trailer, and it's not cheap. $4,400.00 bought brand new in 2014. Real nice EZ Loader with dual torsions, correct for weight and size of boat. I don't know what I would replace it with that would be any more correct? I guess bigger tires...

No doubt Geoff.
A great trailer.
But possibly too close to the weight of what it's hauling.
After you added gear and the kicker.
Do you trailer with full fuel - is your tank large?
Trailer with less fuel maybe?

But 2000 miles on a set of trailer tires is nutz.

Gotta be a solution here for you.

What about inflation of the tires?
A lot of guys only inflate to 32 PSI.
Look at the sidewall and read what the max inflation for the max load is and get them up there to that - will result in less heat generated.

Jethro

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 09:44 AM »
I just ordered 5 new Loadstar Radials on galvanized rims. When I get them on and mounted I will take it to a scale and see if I need to change up the trailer.

It's a big tank, 40 gallons. And I probably drive too fast. But I have been super diligent with the tire pressure since going through tires.

My date codes are 2 years out of service, so that could be a big factor. But to me it looks like this tire got hit:

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 12:18 PM »
Wow thats firestone style detredding.  I think the older rubber and maybe speed is the issue.  Ill look at the tires I have...they have way over 10k miles on em and have been great.

Jethro

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2019, 01:40 PM »
Wow thats firestone style detredding.  I think the older rubber and maybe speed is the issue.  Ill look at the tires I have...they have way over 10k miles on em and have been great.

Yeah it was something. KA-BOOM! Could both feel and hear it. Memorial day traffic on 93 South in the lakes region, busiest travel day of the year. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.