FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ND walleye record broken  (Read 13792 times)

meandcuznalfy

Re: ND walleye record broken
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 10:35 AM »
I agree. Any of us that have fished long enough have accidentally fouled hooked fish. OTOH I would hope we would have the conviction not to enter the fish as a record, but it would be tough.

Over here in Ohio when the walleye run up the Maumee River from Lake Erice it's not hard to do it accidentally. Sadly I know of a guy that pulled one in and was in the process of removing the hook and got dinged for foul hooking. It's a kangaroo court over here and generates a lot of money. All the C.O,'s there drive spanking new SUV's. I wonder where that money comes from?
Think I would have fought that one, that's ridiculous to get a ticket while unhooking a fish. If it was unhooked and not released then that's a different story.

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 02:31 PM »
Just wondering what your opinions are on this scenario -

You catch a bass on a large jerk bait with 3 trebles. Tail treble is in fishes mouth but the middle and head treble are across the gill plate. First hook you take out is the tail end hook that was in the mouth. Then second treble is the middle one. If you at that point only saw 1 hook being removed from the gill plate, would you call that a foul hooked fish?

Yes at that point I believe it would be considered foul hooked.

zwiggles

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 03:04 PM »
Just wondering what your opinions are on this scenario -

You catch a bass on a large jerk bait with 3 trebles. Tail treble is in fishes mouth but the middle and head treble are across the gill plate. First hook you take out is the tail end hook that was in the mouth. Then second treble is the middle one. If you at that point only saw 1 hook being removed from the gill plate, would you call that a foul hooked fish?

I would say it’s not foul hooked if it’s hooked in the mouth.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 03:19 PM »
Guys and Gals, I started this in a new topic so I do not Hi jack the original post.
Wicked Wec

zwiggles

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 03:22 PM »
I went back to my post and Bolded the important part of my question. That 1 of 3 hooks was IN the fishes mouth. Because you see, if you start taking the hooks out one at at time in the reverse order, would you still count that as foul hooked?

It’s just my opinion but if it has a hook in the mouth, it’s not foul hooked.

I’m sure a CO would give you a hard time if it was only foul when he saw it. he’s not going to buy that the hooks were in the mouth as well.

State by state may have different rules highlighting what I’d and is not a snag/foul hooked fish.

taxid

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 03:53 PM »
Think I would have fought that one, that's ridiculous to get a ticket while unhooking a fish. If it was unhooked and not released then that's a different story.

Its not worth getting your tackle and vehicle impounded and it's their word against yours.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 05:11 PM »
Its not worth getting your tackle and vehicle impounded and it's their word against yours.

Yea, your right on there. Then they'd watch you like a hawk to boot.

taxid

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2019, 02:25 PM »
Hey fishhogger I have personal experience with following all the rules, and a fish still was not allowed to be entered as a record. And of course an outdoor writer making it into a controversy didn't help either. He made a big deal out of it being caught in a private pond. Last I looked we have 12 state records out of private bodies of water! This was the same writer that got into hot water in IceShanty.com for complaing about people keeping "too many large perch." More or less a flyfishing purist that thought everything should be released.

But you know what? Doesn't bother me in the slightest. It was a personal achievement for me, and it's still the biggest yellow perch ever caught in the state I that I know of. And she's mounted in a ice fishing scene in a glass case in my studio.

Funny, got a call from an INDNR biologist about a year later wanting to use a picture of it, to brag it up as an Indiana yellow perch to some out of state biologists coming for a conference. I said no, as if it wasn't good enough for a state record than it wasn't good enough to brag about. Wasn't mean about it, and I respected and liked that biologist. But that was my stance on it. End of story.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2019, 02:29 PM »
i always wanted to stand out in the river there and caast and yank(like im snagging) with just a sinker. lol

i have caught them watching me with binoculars before.  thought they were hiding i guess. lol i sat down with my binocs and stared back at them till they went on their way. i know its their job but it still don't set well with me to be spied on!  people that aren't breaking the law usually take offense to being accused ya know. 

as far as the foul hooked fish, id say its the Burdon of the states to prove wrong doing. if there was a hook in its mouth then there is a hole.  its just a fish record for god sakes.  there are plenty of record fish caught and released every year that go unreported.

id have to see the video for myself. anyone have the link?

I had business dealings with one of those C.O's in Ohio that patrolled the river. A bad cop if I ever saw one. No ethics or morals.

filetandrelease

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2019, 02:52 PM »

The video was on Hardwater freaks on FB but it is a closed group ,

filetandrelease

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2019, 07:25 PM »

No problem fishhogger , I don’t do the FB thing ,

fishinator

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2019, 07:37 PM »
What's Facebook?

Badbrad2186

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2019, 08:11 AM »

taxid

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2019, 09:21 AM »
Have no idea of the veracity of this claim but has anyone noticed whenever someone catches a record fish or shoots a record buck some people have to make a controversy out of it? It's like they're jealous or something. "Oh that record fish could not have been caught around here," or "That buck had to be pen raised."

I had it happen to me by an outdoor writer.

Badbrad2186

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2019, 09:30 AM »
Have no idea of the veracity of this claim but has anyone noticed whenever someone catches a record fish or shoots a record buck some people have to make a controversy out of it? It's like they're jealous or something. "Oh that record fish could not have been caught around here," or "That buck had to be pen raised."

I had it happen to me by an outdoor writer.

No record but I caught the biggest crappie of my life on a boyscout camp pond. Now I say pound but its 30 plus acre pond. Everyone i showed said yea nice fish but not really a challenge fishing in that pond. Doesnt bother me but some people just cant stand to see someone else successful

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.