FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: walleyes with eggs  (Read 1868 times)

eddiew_29

walleyes with eggs
« on: Jul 23, 2012, 08:12 PM »
was out on lake erie this weekend just trolling around for walleyes. we didnt do as good as we've been doing, but ended up getting one that  was just a pot belly. thought is was like some of the others we've been picking up that have been packed full of smelt.  but when we got home we got a huge surprise. the fish was just packed full of eggs!! now i know they spawn from march and into april but has anyone else ever seen anything crazy like this?? ive caught alot of walleyes but never with eggs in it in the summer...

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Re: walleyes with eggs
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2012, 08:33 PM »
Never ever in all my years have I seen a walleye with eggs in the summer. There must have been something wrong with it... ???

BIGJim223

« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2012, 08:51 PM »
I got 2 a couple weeks ago that had eggs in them. Thought that it was very strange for June (I think that was when it was).

BIGJim223

The Reel Deal

• Early Worm Gets The Lunker
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2012, 09:52 PM »
     Sometimes when fish are unable to spawn they will still hold the eggs and slowly dissolve the eggs and actually consume them. There are a lot of nutritional benefits associated but it is usually a clear indication that there was some sort of complication with spawning which is bad. It could be something else too tho, I am no expert. I just see it a lot with Landlocked Salmon and the bigger ones we catch are the females that have extra feed because they never successfully spawn and always have some traces of eggs. Same with rainbows in holdover ponds and lakes where they cannot successfully spawn.

BIGJim223

« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2012, 02:42 PM »
Makes sense! According to my local DEC, Otsego had very little to no walleye spawn this year due to the extra warm and dry spring. Of the 3 major spawning tributaries, only Shadow Brook had "some" successful spawning. The other 2, Cripple Creek and Hayden Creek were so low that fish could not get up them in any numbers.

BIGJim223

greensider

« Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 2012, 07:29 PM »
cought some big gills with eggs last weekend

BudMan

« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2012, 08:18 AM »
cought some big gills with eggs last weekend

I just finished a book on blue gills that did some research on spawning gills in small lakes and some had spawned 9 times in a single year. It was in warm Florida waters but I'm guessing they do the same up here on a smaller scale. Also with each consecutive spawn, the number of eggs was fewer and number of fish actually participating less.
As far as the walleye I'm guessing they never had a chance to spawn for whatever reason.

Santo180

« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2012, 09:29 AM »
I'm pretty sure I saw some on beds at my buddies pond last labor day weekend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.