FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: jigging for lakers  (Read 5822 times)

Goatskin

Re: jigging for lakers
« Reply #15 on: Jul 10, 2012, 04:26 AM »
Big Jim hit it right out of the park with his excellent tutorial on open water jigging! The only thing I could possibly add to this discussion is the effectiveness of going with a partner in a rowboat.  Take turns, one guy rows and controls the boat to keep the jig on the screen and the other guy jigs.  We usually trade off every three fish!   If you're lucky enough to hit a calm day both of you can jig.  This is the technique of choice for us guys down in southern NY on the NYC DEP reservoirs where no motors are allowed.  I completely concur with Big Jim regarding Downriggers.  They have their place but jigging is insanely more productive and a heck of a lot more fun way to catch them!  The heat of summer has no bearing on jigging productivity rather, I think it only concentrates the fish when the thermocline sets up.  Either way, your sonar is your best friend.  Find them and whack them on the head with your jig! LOL!

God luck-Mike
Are you fishing the thermocline or below it on bottom? I like that two man row boat idea to. Ive got a small lake that hits 90 ft that does not allow the use of motors.

jager61

• FB Page: NY Reservoir Trout
« Reply #16 on: Jul 10, 2012, 05:49 AM »
We simply just mark the fish on the sonar and drop our jig on them. When you have a partner controlling the boat he can keep your jig on screen. If the fish isn't active you move on until you mark the next fish! VERY effective and allows you to cover a lot of water!

Good luck-Mike

outdoorsman

« Reply #17 on: Jul 10, 2012, 06:26 AM »
Are you fishing the thermocline or below it on bottom? I like that two man row boat idea to. Ive got a small lake that hits 90 ft that does not allow the use of motors.

Bottom, although they will come up a long way to whack a jig.
"I just want to get the work over as soon as possible so I can do some fishing. Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except that I still get to kill something."

rnksurfnturf

« Reply #18 on: Jul 11, 2012, 10:18 AM »
how bout jigging for browns?  are they willing to hit the jigs also?  thats about the only fish I havent caught out of otisco and was thinking of possibly jigging for them as I dont have downriggers and the lakes is only about 65' at its deepest.

I havent heard of anybody doing any jigging on otisco and catching browns. :-\

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #19 on: Jul 11, 2012, 11:02 AM »
how about jigging for Chinooks on the big lake?   THAT would be a BOATLOAD of fun...they fight hard!

jager61

• FB Page: NY Reservoir Trout
« Reply #20 on: Jul 11, 2012, 12:28 PM »
Browns are definitely jig-able but not easily! In open water I've only gotten small stockies. I get some good ones through the ice. Usually I'm jigging lakers when I see a red suspended mark on the Vexilar near the top of the water column and it's usually a brown. When I feel up to them they often times hit and they are usually decent fish!

Mike

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #21 on: Jul 11, 2012, 01:48 PM »
IT WORKS, i like johnson silver spoons over the side of the boat with bait[minnies,cut bait,worms,]what works
hope this helps
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

pikechaser

• let em run
« Reply #22 on: Jul 16, 2012, 02:04 PM »
so  whats best to jig lakers with ? jigheads with white tail, swidish pimples in white. what else ?

BIGJim223

« Reply #23 on: Jul 16, 2012, 06:08 PM »
so  whats best to jig lakers with ? jigheads with white tail, swidish pimples in white. what else ?

Most any HEAVY jigging type lure. The key is keeping it vertical under your boat and on your sonar. I prefer chartreuse/silver colors on my lake, it's what works best for me. But white works good too, especially white/glow in very deep water.

Saturday I was working a bunch of lakers in 122FOW with a Black/silver combination, all they did was chase it. I only caught 1 small fish, though they would chase it up for 30 feet or so, sometimes 3-5 fish at a time. After 20 minutes of that I changed to the exact same jig but in chartreuse, dropped it down and before it hit bottom I was into a slammer lake trout. 10 minutes later after 3 smoking runs back to the bottom, I landed a very fat 28" fish that was right on 9 lbs. I caught 3 more in the next 20-30 minutes ranging from 4 to 6 lbs. Was it because I changed color? I don't know, but whatever it was worked for me!
  I have caught them on 5" Wildeye Swimbaits, Twister Tail jigs, Sassy Shad type plastics on a big round head jig, there is even a guy on my local lake that uses a big jig with a 3" chunk of Hot Dog on it! He says that the cheaper the hot dog (think Bar S brand!) the smokier they are, the better they work! I believe they will eat anything you put in front of them, live bait. dead bait, plastic bait, Gulp Bait, whatever! Especially when they are in a pack situation and very aggressive.

Good Luck!

BIGJim223

PeterC

« Reply #24 on: Jul 18, 2012, 11:48 AM »
Have wanted to try Otsego for both walleye and lakers. Live in Albany -- would pick up gas and expenses if anyone would wants to take along a novice to that lake.

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #25 on: Jul 18, 2012, 01:22 PM »
PETE,
anytime,i think i can help
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

PeterC

« Reply #26 on: Jul 18, 2012, 02:40 PM »
Thanks RiverRatz- sent a you a PM will be in touch.

BIGJim223

« Reply #27 on: Jul 18, 2012, 06:53 PM »
Thanks RiverRatz- sent a you a PM will be in touch.

PeterC:  I am always looking for a fishing partner. Send me a PM, and we will talk.

BIGJim223

PeterC

« Reply #28 on: Jul 20, 2012, 03:54 PM »
Jim-- dropped you a PM

BIGJim223

« Reply #29 on: Jul 20, 2012, 08:28 PM »
PeterC: Replied to you by email. Going Sunday morning if you can make it. Give me a call.

BIGJim223

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.