FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fall salmon before ice  (Read 1158 times)

seamonkey84

Fall salmon before ice
« on: Nov 17, 2018, 08:28 AM »
I’m not sure how it slipped by, but I didn’t post anything about my last trip almost a week ago now. Not an adventurous or fish filled day, but the one fish I caught was a good one. It has been three years since I picked up fly fishing, and I caught two adult salmon that first year. Since then however, I hasn’t caught a salmon at all until this past spring, and that was trolling. So finally, last Sunday I was out casting my fly to some brookies, when my line went tight and I set the hook on something heavy.  It didn’t move at first, so I though it was a rock and was starting to wiggle it to try and get it loose. Suddenly the “rock” started moving upstream and shaking the line. Next thing I know I have a large fish thrashing around just a rods length away in the small pool. I had to keep it from going downstream into the rapids, but it felt like it was going to bend my 5wt right in half to keep control of the fish in the current. Finally I got what I thought was a large brown into the net, then she turned over and revealed the bright silver belly  ;D

The hook fell out of the mouth as I lifted the net, I snapped the pics quickly, and sent it on its way back into the currrent. I’m estimating about 20”, but prob a bit more (I always end up underestimating length lol)
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

zwiggles

Re: Fall salmon before ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2018, 03:57 PM »
Nice report, sir!

Am I understanding you correctly in that you were trying to “shake” off the salmon at first because you thought you had snagged? If so that is hilarious, and telling of you that you shared that tidbit with us.

All done for the season, or are there still some open waters up that way?

seamonkey84

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2018, 05:19 PM »
Yes, I had set the hook, thought it was a rock and kinda did a couple little tugs when it didn’t move for more than a second.
I’m not sure if I’ll be doing any more river or open water, though some lakes and ponds haven’t even skimmed over yet. I’m more itching to start walking across the hard top.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2018, 06:19 PM »
Beautiful salmon and a great story!  That must have been a memorable battle in a small pool.

seamonkey84

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2018, 08:06 AM »
It was definitely on the tense side, but wasn’t a very long fight. Luckily got it into the net (twice) in under a min, but felt the strain on the rod the whole time. I fish with barbless hooks, so I’m very glad it stayed on when I gave it slight slack and tugged again when I first thought it was a rock lol. That was the first time I’ve had that happen, set the hook and it never moved (my hook sets aren’t exactly light either).

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2018, 08:16 AM »
Wow....That's even more impressive with a barbless hook!  Good job.

It was definitely on the tense side, but wasn’t a very long fight. Luckily got it into the net (twice) in under a min, but felt the strain on the rod the whole time. I fish with barbless hooks, so I’m very glad it stayed on when I gave it slight slack and tugged again when I first thought it was a rock lol. That was the first time I’ve had that happen, set the hook and it never moved (my hook sets aren’t exactly light either).

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2018, 10:53 AM »
I saw the fly you were using, I never have luck with those, can't believe a salmon would find that in the choppy water, she definitely must've came far out of her lie to grab that!

franklin fisher

« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2018, 04:45 PM »
Great job. Congrats on getting a Salmon on the fly rod again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.