FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: August-September...Open Water General Law Close-Out  (Read 2473 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
August-September...Open Water General Law Close-Out
« on: Oct 02, 2023, 01:02 PM »
General Law Open Water Season ended in Maine after last Saturday. Yes, Extended Season has started, with its own set of opportunities.  But much of the small flowing water is now off limits until next April.  Seems like a long time. I definitely do way better in the 2nd half of the open water season than the first. I was on a nice roll when the season ended, and could have done a lot with a few extra weeks in this nice weather streak we're on.  Enough dreaming.  The fishing I did get to was better than decent and the 12-species variety added to it.

The frequent and heavy rain was a big change from recent years.  The lawn loved it :P, but the winners were the small native brookie streams that were reduced to trickles in drier years and now had lively flows.  When it comes to fishing, I either double down or look around.  This year, I could do both......check out new waters under good conditions or fish old favorites when they were at their best.  Beautiful scenery....good results. Win...Win 8)

I always try to get in a trip or 2 to the mountains in the Maine-NH border area.  Spring comes late in the high ground.  June is often the earliest you can expect good fishing, and August is often prime.  The game was dries and droppers, with weighted streamers in the deepest of holes  Wild rainbows were the target, and they did not disappoint.  They're not the biggest, but are crazy in terms airborne acrobatics and their colors :laugh:
Big time fun on the 2-weight.  A good number of stocked 'bows that had moved way upstream also gave the light rod plenty of exercise.

On the 2nd mountain trip, I took a nasty fall on rocks and smacked my 2-weight hard enough to snap the butt section.  Once I got the feeling back in my elbow and washed off the blood, I hiked back to the car, grabbed my spare rod and kept fishing.  The 5-weight fished like a club compared to the 2-weight, but was better than nothing ;)

There were a few days in early September when flows dropped enough to allow me to wade warm water streams that are often to deep.  Years back, access to these spots required long walks and wades.  There was little angling pressure and boxcar smallies were the rule.  Since then, new roads and a ball field were punched in.  More garbage and less fish followed.  Still, even as a shadow of its former self, it can be fun on a hot late  summer day.

I took my annual trip to the L.I. Sound salt in mid-September.  Always good to see my Dad, who has broken 95 and continues his economic stimulus of the bourbon distillers :laugh:  Timing for the fishing should have been spot on, but the backlash from Hurricane Lee had other ideas :P 

Plan B was sheltered back bays and tidal creeks. Public access has practically dropped off the face of the Earth here, but I have a few spots that continue to serve me well.  The fishing wasn't on fire, but I was able to pick up a few stripers and numerous snapper blues on light spinning gear.

When the open salt water side flattened out, I bottom bounced jigs.  Scup were notably absent, but I got into a few fluke and small sea bass.

I also got a chance to hike the shoreline of my old stomping grounds.  These stairs down the shoreline bluffs used to be a sobriety check point years sgo.  I don't believe they would be navigable now regardless of my state of consciousness  ;)

I closed out September chasing holdover browns in small waters that are nearly all closed after September 30.  Very few of them receive direct stocking of browns either.  The fish have moved up from main stem waters, even through another trib on the way upstream in some cases.  All the rain and high water had them on the move to some gorgeous pocket water.  It was often heavily stained with tannic acid.  The fish took on the color of their environment, producing quite a few "dark chocolate" browns.  My 2-weight was back in service after a $69 repair.  The dry and dropper approach (a Parachute Adams over a Partridge and Brown trailer typically) worked wonders.  I'll be a little heavy on the scenery here, since that is also a big draw 8)

The extended season has started.  I won't hit it too hard for at least a couple weeks when that fall chill sets in.  Before too long, the real fun will start....trying to keep the open water streak alive in the depths of winter ;D

lowaccord66

Re: August-September...Open Water General Law Close-Out
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2023, 09:58 PM »
Amazing report Jim.  Glad you didnt get hurt badly.  Rods are easy to warranty, broken bones not so much.  The saltwater access scene is abismal and getting worse by the minute but happy to see you got out.  The waves in your pics look a bit browner than one would want but that whitewater looks great!

Jim C.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2023, 08:16 AM »
Thanks, Jon

I've broken both my legs since 2019, so was glad that this latest tumble didn't go down that road.  Still, I don't expect much to be left for medical science after I cast to my last rise :laugh:

I love a whitewater surf when it first kicks up, but before it gets to roiled up ;)

Amazing report Jim.  Glad you didnt get hurt badly.  Rods are easy to warranty, broken bones not so much.  The saltwater access scene is abismal and getting worse by the minute but happy to see you got out.  The waves in your pics look a bit browner than one would want but that whitewater looks great!

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2023, 11:17 AM »
Excellent report Jim.  Looks like a few of your streams have at least partially recovered as well.  Insane rainbow trout action! those first few wild 'bows are stunning, great pics.  Some chubby native brookies in there too!  Did you have to mail your 2 wt off somewhere to get it fixed? or do you have a local shop/person that repairs rods?  Again, great stuff all around.

Jim C.

« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2023, 01:17 PM »
Thanks, Randall.

The dealer I bought the rod from (Maine Fly Co.) did the work on-site in Yarmouth.

Excellent report Jim.  Looks like a few of your streams have at least partially recovered as well.  Insane rainbow trout action! those first few wild 'bows are stunning, great pics.  Some chubby native brookies in there too!  Did you have to mail your 2 wt off somewhere to get it fixed? or do you have a local shop/person that repairs rods?  Again, great stuff all around.

fish wayniac

« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2023, 06:49 PM »
Jim, Nice scenery and mix of fish. I really like those wild Rainbows. Good luck next month .

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2023, 02:34 AM »
Good report Jim. Definitely had plenty of rain this summer to keep flows up. Those wild bows are cool as hell. Native brookies are always good to see. The fishing should be getting good once the weather cools off.

Jim C.

« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2023, 09:24 AM »
Thanks, Nick.  I'm looking forward to the cool down on the way.  Prime fall fishing is getting later and later.  November is the new October.

The fishing should be getting good once the weather cools off.

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2023, 10:20 AM »
Thanks, Nick.  I'm looking forward to the cool down on the way.  Prime fall fishing is getting later and later.  November is the new October.
November is easily the best month IMO. October tends to be still too warm.

zwiggles

« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2023, 01:55 PM »
Great report! Some of those little natives look like they have been eating well :)

Darby

« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2023, 02:48 PM »
Great you still get out after a couple of nasty falls.  As always, impressive report, better than Field & Stream

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.