FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A carp load of rain  (Read 1384 times)

ICEHOLE

A carp load of rain
« on: Apr 23, 2019, 04:28 AM »
Fished last 4 days off and on. Had 2 skunks followed by 2 good days.
Easter Sunday and yesterday being the best. I got soaked! Here's a couple of the bigger ones

Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

westernmas

Re: A carp load of rain
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2019, 09:44 AM »
Dedication!  I fished in between storms and managed a couple of stockers.  I've yet to break out the yak and bass gear.  Been to darn windy and rainy for the yak.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2019, 09:55 AM »
Icehole,

What do you use for bait? I used to fish for carp at a local reservoir using crushed Wheaties cereal mixed with vanilla extract. I can't remember if we added water. Anyway the resulting product was a dough ball and the carp really homed in on it. We used ultralight tackle and it was a blast!

The local kids fished for them too, and I still remember one instance where they showed up on their bicycles with their fishing poles. They threw the bait out and sat on their bicycles yacking in a Kentucky drawl as they were from families originally from Kentucky. All of a sudden one of the poles takes off into the lake and kid couldn't get to it fast enough as he was sitting on is bike. It seemed like it jumped up and down a couple of times and was gone. I still remember the kid yelling, "My Po, MY Po!"

Another time I was fishing there and black guy was fishing not too far away. I had been told the black folks really liked carp so I took one over to him. He got really mad and said, "Just because I'm black you think I like those **** filthy fish?! Son I'm fishing for bluegills!" Whoops!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

manitron

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2019, 11:56 AM »
Looks like fun Matt.

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2019, 12:19 PM »
Nice work Matt!  I got soaked too!

bogtrotter

« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2019, 02:37 PM »
Nicely done.

maxma

« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2019, 08:08 PM »
Icehole,

What do you use for bait? I used to fish for carp at a local reservoir using crushed Wheaties cereal mixed with vanilla extract. I can't remember if we added water. Anyway the resulting product was a dough ball and the carp really homed in on it. We used ultralight tackle and it was a blast!

The local kids fished for them too, and I still remember one instance where they showed up on their bicycles with their fishing poles. They threw the bait out and sat on their bicycles yacking in a Kentucky drawl as they were from families originally from Kentucky. All of a sudden one of the poles takes off into the lake and kid couldn't get to it fast enough as he was sitting on is bike. It seemed like it jumped up and down a couple of times and was gone. I still remember the kids yelling, "My Po, MY Po!"

Another time I was fishing there and black guy was fishing not too far away. I had been told the black folks really liked carp so I took one over to him. He got really mad and said, "Just because I'm black you think I like those **** filthy fish?! Son I'm fishing for bluegills!" Whoops!

LOL that was funny. If you approached me with a plate of orange chicken I would not feel offended. Just kidding. I will not take food from strangers lol.

ICEHOLE

« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2019, 03:55 AM »
Icehole,

The local kids fished for them too, and I still remember one instance where they showed up on their bicycles with their fishing poles. They threw the bait out and sat on their bicycles yacking in a Kentucky drawl as they were from families originally from Kentucky. All of a sudden one of the poles takes off into the lake and kid couldn't get to it fast enough as he was sitting on is bike. It seemed like it jumped up and down a couple of times and was gone. I still remember the kid yelling, "My Po, MY Po!"

Just canned corn right now. Cheaper brands have larger kernels. I make a hair rig that holds about 6 kernels. Braided line even for hair rig.  I do make a mix of rolled oats (not quick oats) cream corn and chili powder. Roll it into baseall size balls and toss them where I'll be fishing

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2019, 05:17 AM »
Just canned corn right now. Cheaper brands have larger kernels. I make a hair rig that holds about 6 kernels. Braided line even for hair rig.  I do make a mix of rolled oats (not quick oats) cream corn and chili powder. Roll it into baseall size balls and toss them where I'll be fishing

You should try the Wheaties and vanilla extract. The carp really home in on it and it stays on the hook well!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

ICEHOLE

« Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2019, 07:31 AM »
You should try the Wheaties and vanilla extract. The carp really home in on it and it stays on the hook well!
Ive tried, among many other things..i still prefer corn, so do the carp IMO
plus when water is still cold i keep the bait very simple...going into prespawn now so time to big up the pace

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2019, 10:12 AM »
Nice work Matt!

Bread balls infused with corn or corn juice are also top notch.
Wicked Wec

ICEHOLE

« Reply #11 on: Apr 24, 2019, 10:16 AM »
My friends owns a farm, I'm going up with a 5 gallon bucket and getting a mix of maze corn, cracked corn, molasses pellets, seeds and whatever else he might have to make a nice particle mix

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #12 on: Apr 25, 2019, 09:50 AM »
I used canned corn from WallyWorld.
I've also taken the packing water from the can and mixed it with old bread crumbs and used it as chum. the breadcrumbs break up and scatter nicely for a good scent trail.

I'm glad that carp fishing isn't as popular as bass, pike or pickerel fishing is, or it would be more difficult to find them...
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Apr 25, 2019, 12:20 PM »
I used canned corn from WallyWorld.
I've also taken the packing water from the can and mixed it with old bread crumbs and used it as chum. the breadcrumbs break up and scatter nicely for a good scent trail.

I'm glad that carp fishing isn't as popular as bass, pike or pickerel fishing is, or it would be more difficult to find them...

Its gaining more popularity than you must realize...so much so take a look at what they setup in CT:

https://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2696&q=580166

Not sure if this proposal was adopted or not:

Trophy Carp Waters Proposal

(l) Trophy Carp Waters. The maximum length for common carp shall be twenty-six inches and the daily creel limit for common carp shall be one in : Batterson Park Pond (Farmington, New Britain), the Connecticut River, its coves, and those portions of its tributaries open to fishing throughout the year, as provided in section 26-112-44(a)(1) of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies, Squantz Pond (New Fairfield), and West Thompson Reservoir (Thompson). The commissioner may grant an exemption from maximum length and daily creel limit requirements of this subsection to any person issued a permit under section 26-112-42 to conduct a fishing tournament or derby in any Trophy Carp Water provided that all fish caught shall be released, without avoidable injury, to the waters where taken.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.