FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: FNE's turtle rescue service- on call day or night.  (Read 4291 times)

FishingNewEngland

FNE's turtle rescue service- on call day or night.
« on: Jun 03, 2010, 06:00 PM »
On the way home tonight I spotted this little fella on the side of 95 South, just before 495. He was heading directly towards traffic. Rather than see him get smacked, I stopped and grabbed him. The wife and kids were almost home so I waited for them and we let him go in the Res.

Contributing blogger at www.wickedfishah.com

Sinnian

Re: FNE's turtle rescue service- on call day or night.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2010, 06:05 PM »
You, my friend, are a good man!
 :clapping: :thumbup_smilie: :clapping:
Sometimes it's better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open you mouth and remove all doubt ~ Abe Lincoln
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument ~W McAdoo

greensider

« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2010, 06:12 PM »
not to bad talk a good deed but just so you know you should never move a reptile to a new place thier homong instincs will make them head back to where they were the best thing to do is move them to the side of the road where they were heading most likly to lay thier eggs this time of year but still good job on saving her

ricky riged

« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2010, 06:13 PM »
 ;D ;D ;Di agree you are a good man ;D ;D ;D
 how did ya make out last night

FishingNewEngland

« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2010, 06:17 PM »
not to bad talk a good deed but just so you know you should never move a reptile to a new place thier homong instincs will make them head back to where they were the best thing to do is move them to the side of the road where they were heading most likly to lay thier eggs this time of year but still good job on saving her

The Res. is less than a mile from where I found her. Most likely that's where she came from in the first place.

GrizlyGarou

« Reply #5 on: Jun 03, 2010, 06:23 PM »
Nice work.  Imagine hitting that at highway speed?!  People may have ended up dead had you not gotten it off the road.

JustOsmo

« Reply #6 on: Jun 03, 2010, 06:25 PM »

Good job FNE. Thank god he was found by you and not a fan of turtle soup!  :clapping:

hook-set

« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2010, 07:59 PM »
not to rain on the parade it was indeed a good thing you did ..but unfortunatly he is more than likely a she and by the looks of the girl she just finished laying her eggs and building a nest ...the only thing you did wrong was to relocate the turtle ...you did indeed save her life i'm sure ...

FishingNewEngland

« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2010, 08:04 PM »
not to rain on the parade it was indeed a good thing you did ..but unfortunatly he is more than likely a she and by the looks of the girl she just finished laying her eggs and building a nest ...the only thing you did wrong was to relocate the turtle ...you did indeed save her life i'm sure ...

Like I said before. The only body of water anywhere close is the lake I live on.

lavaman

« Reply #9 on: Jun 04, 2010, 07:44 AM »
your a good man charlie brown.
i have also found  those dinosaurs before on the roadside and always put them back in the water. it's egg laying time. watch out for the living speed bumps.

butchy54

• Dead Trout Dont Rise
« Reply #10 on: Jun 04, 2010, 07:58 AM »
Mark you could have save her for Jiggy he would eat it.Snapper Stew

Stealth

• Just a GOD to the end
« Reply #11 on: Jun 04, 2010, 08:03 AM »
I received the Mass Wildlife Instructors Newsletter the other day.   This is the time of the year the turtles are moving to nesting areas.  If you find one it is best to help it across the road in the direction it was heading as NOT to put yourself or the turtle in danger.  It is strongly advised not to move the turtle to another location or move it back in the direction it came from.  Many of our roads and developments have created dangerous obstacles for amphibian and reptiles who a move to find vernal pools or nesting areas as important parts of their life cycles.  

Mark, good intentions, good save it probably would be road kill by now.  Bet the kids thought it was neat.  
If you have great friends, taunt them..... endlessly. Even if you don't have good friends taunt them just for the practice. This is the Gospel according to the GODs.

FishingNewEngland

« Reply #12 on: Jun 04, 2010, 08:27 AM »
I received the Mass Wildlife Instructors Newsletter the other day.   This is the time of the year the turtles are moving to nesting areas.  If you find one it is best to help it across the road in the direction it was heading as NOT to put yourself or the turtle in danger.  It is strongly advised not to move the turtle to another location or move it back in the direction it came from.  Many of our roads and developments have created dangerous obstacles for amphibian and reptiles who a move to find vernal pools or nesting areas as important parts of their life cycles.  

Mark, good intentions, good save it probably would be road kill by now.  Bet the kids thought it was neat.  

The kids loved it Jimmy. I only saved it because there was one killed at the end of my street this week. The one that was crushed was even bigger. I hate seeing wildlife indiscriminately killed because of the human lack of compassion.

unoman

« Reply #13 on: Jun 04, 2010, 01:42 PM »
Mark,  I didnt recognize you in those work clothes...you dress up pretty good!....lol

Stealth is right, but somebody would have probably run over it.....good intentions on your part...thats what counts....she'll survive another year to lay eggs wherever she wants....

K

SpaceGhost

« Reply #14 on: Jun 04, 2010, 01:47 PM »
Have moved one about that size myself off the road. Way to many people out there who dont care and will make it a point to hit them. Really burns me when i see crushed turtles all over the roads.

Good for you~!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.