FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Decent day on the salt 08/17  (Read 7980 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Decent day on the salt
« Reply #15 on: Jul 10, 2019, 12:14 PM »
I'm game.  Just don't do anything weird when the blindfold is on.  I'm an excellent swimmer so that isn't an issue.  I haven't even been back to any of the spots that you've shown me at the river or the ditch.

Totally tongue in cheek Pat.  You are a good dude.  Yes lets plan on some surf action.  Its been enjoyable to switch things up after thousands of hours at the ditch. 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Decent day on the salt ROUND 3
« Reply #16 on: Jul 15, 2019, 09:20 AM »
Hit the salt this weekend and did pretty well. Some fluke, seabass, blue fish and scup. 90% of the fish came on a custom rig I made so that's an added bonus.

T - thanks for dropping of the mackerel and crustaceans. Mackerel are in a brine and will be smoked tomorrow and the others were dinner last night.

Enjoy the sausage and fresh smoked kielbasa!

Wicked Wec

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #17 on: Jul 15, 2019, 10:32 AM »
Wait a minute- you eat the macs too?

filetandrelease

« Reply #18 on: Jul 15, 2019, 11:11 AM »

Nice haul SHaRPS

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: Jul 15, 2019, 03:04 PM »
Nice job Mike.  You beat me.  One decent hit on an eel and an excessive amount of seal activity all night...

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #20 on: Jul 15, 2019, 03:15 PM »
Wait a minute- you eat the macs too?

Yep. As long as they are big enough we brine them and then cold smoke them. My father and uncles have been bugging me to get fresh ones for years now. They are one of the healthiest fish in the world to eat despite people hating them for being oily. A little apple and pear wood goes a long way. I grew up eating this fish and yes though its strong flavored, its something that I crave once in a while. My parents are from Poland so smoked foods, pickled foods, mushrooms, cabbage and potatoes are at the top of our list. And do not forget the Vodka!  ;D Don't let the Russians fool you that Vodka is a Russian drink, it originated in Poland  ;)
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #21 on: Jul 15, 2019, 03:16 PM »
Filet&release and Jon - Thank you. This weekend the boats get a rest as I will be chasing wild salmon and brookies in Northern ME. First time ever up that way so it should be exciting.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #22 on: Jul 15, 2019, 10:17 PM »
Sounds exciting Mike.  Good luck up there.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #23 on: Jul 16, 2019, 08:01 AM »
Sounds exciting Mike.  Good luck up there.

Thanks buddy! Hopefully the black flies are gone by now.
Wicked Wec

Jethro

« Reply #24 on: Jul 16, 2019, 08:06 AM »
Yep. As long as they are big enough we brine them and then cold smoke them. My father and uncles have been bugging me to get fresh ones for years now. They are one of the healthiest fish in the world to eat despite people hating them for being oily. A little apple and pear wood goes a long way. I grew up eating this fish and yes though its strong flavored, its something that I crave once in a while. My parents are from Poland so smoked foods, pickled foods, mushrooms, cabbage and potatoes are at the top of our list. And do not forget the Vodka!  ;D Don't let the Russians fool you that Vodka is a Russian drink, it originated in Poland  ;)

No kidding. I'm guessing you don't fillet them.. just gut them and smoke them as is? I've been trying to self teach myself fishing saltwater this year, and so far all I seem to be able to master is the mackerel. I can fill the livewell with them pretty much every trip. Anything else however has been an exercise in futility. Oh, other than green crabs. I seem to be able to catch green crabs pretty well with my chunk mackerel bait. 

westernmas

« Reply #25 on: Jul 16, 2019, 08:41 AM »
No kidding. I'm guessing you don't fillet them.. just gut them and smoke them as is? I've been trying to self teach myself fishing saltwater this year, and so far all I seem to be able to master is the mackerel. I can fill the livewell with them pretty much every trip. Anything else however has been an exercise in futility. Oh, other than green crabs. I seem to be able to catch green crabs pretty well with my chunk mackerel bait.

Keep the mackerel whole and live line them.  It will help reduce your crab catch and possibly get you into some bigger fish.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #26 on: Jul 16, 2019, 09:18 AM »
Keep the mackerel whole and live line them.  It will help reduce your crab catch and possibly get you into some bigger fish.

Correct - I just gut them, brine them and then smoke them. great on a slice of rye bread with a little butter spread or even on crackers.

This is true but also remember one thing. You can toss a chunk all day long but if the fish aren't there, they wont bite. I don't know where you fish but location might be the first step to productivity. There are plenty of members on here that if willing, can help point you in the right direction for your area. Also, be happy that you still have green crabs because there was a green crab shortage this year in my area. I had to improvise for tautog season but still managed some good ones.

Wicked Wec

deerhunter

« Reply #27 on: Jul 17, 2019, 07:37 AM »
I don't have any problems catchin big scup and sea bass but a limit of keeper fluke has been evading me. a lot shorts. nice catch

Jethro

« Reply #28 on: Jul 17, 2019, 08:31 AM »
I don't know where you fish but location might be the first step to productivity.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's my issue or at least part of it. Ocean is a slight bit bigger playing field than I am used to.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #29 on: Jul 17, 2019, 10:00 AM »
I don't have any problems catchin big scup and sea bass but a limit of keeper fluke has been evading me. a lot shorts. nice catch

Despite my pictures, this has been the roughest fluke season I have ever encountered. I have my numbers that are off the grid which took me years to find which is helpful. I also fish "common" spots when the fish are there but so are 40 other boats. I can tell you that I always keep my eyes open and my head on a swivel to see if others are hooking up and what they are using. This past trip, I was drifting with 10-15 other boats and only saw 2 small sea bass pulled out and maybe 5 scup. I had 3 boats ask me what I was using. Sometimes the fish are there and you just have to tickle them a bit to get them to bite. I have figured out a pattern this year which is also key to my success albeit a drought. Do not be discouraged with the lack of keeper fluke this year. I have about I have been out about 8 times this year and only accounted for about 50-60 keepers. At this point the last 3 years i had about 180. Something is off and I will be the first to say it.
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.