FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Where the Big Stripers At?!?!?!  (Read 2605 times)

Roccus

Re: Where the Big Stripers At?!?!?!
« Reply #15 on: Aug 02, 2019, 11:27 AM »
Good to hear Joe.  I guess I'll need to do some more exploring.  Isn't the easiest when most spots are a 2+ hour drive.

you are absolutely right, especially when you have to drive home after fishing most of the night, it's the biggest reason I stopped fishing the cape in the 70's, I realized even back then, I'd have a lot more time to fish if I learned and concentrated on waters close to home. Now dock to garage is 30 minuets

westernmas

« Reply #16 on: Aug 02, 2019, 11:39 AM »
you are absolutely right, especially when you have to drive home after fishing most of the night, it's the biggest reason I stopped fishing the cape in the 70's, I realized even back then, I'd have a lot more time to fish if I learned and concentrated on waters close to home. Now dock to garage is 30 minuets

Exactly why I didn't hit the ditch Wednesday.  9 hours in a kayak had taken its toll on me.  Really kicking myself for that decision now though.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #17 on: Aug 02, 2019, 11:52 AM »

Bingo! Sometimes the long ride is worth the fish. However, most of the time the short ride is worth the fishing.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #18 on: Aug 02, 2019, 12:11 PM »
My history doesnt go back nearly as far as yours Joe but I can remember doing 3-400lbs a night fairly consistently.  Not anymore.  The fish I am after are still in the same patterns but there are far fewer.  The last time I fished the canal...I had to give up on a spot at 2am because I was crowded for no apparent reason.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #19 on: Aug 02, 2019, 01:44 PM »
My history doesnt go back nearly as far as yours Joe but I can remember doing 3-400lbs a night fairly consistently.  Not anymore.  The fish I am after are still in the same patterns but there are far fewer.  The last time I fished the canal...I had to give up on a spot at 2am because I was crowded for no apparent reason.

Someone stuck you or your vehicle with a GPS device.
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #20 on: Aug 02, 2019, 02:12 PM »

Thing would prob malfunction after all the movement during ice season.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: Aug 02, 2019, 02:43 PM »

I'm retiring from the canal game.  It just isn't as fun anymore.

westernmas

« Reply #22 on: Aug 02, 2019, 03:06 PM »
I'm retiring from the canal game.  It just isn't as fun anymore.

Its become the saltwater equivalent of the salmon river.  I still go to the salmon river every year because of the number of steelhead that frequent it but its combat fishing just like the canal.  Not exactly the type of fishing I prefer but when you hook a steelhead it makes it worth it.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #23 on: Aug 07, 2019, 12:09 PM »
Here are 50 fish you WONT catch......

On Sunday, August 4, 2019, Massachusetts Environmental Police Officers conducted uniformed and plain-clothes patrols of the Cape Cod Canal area, targeting striped bass violations. Throughout the early morning and into Sunday night, Officers seized in excess of 50 striped bass, issued nearly $8000 in citations, and made one arrest. All salvageable fish were donated to the Plymouth Area Coalition – For the Homeless.

Massachusetts Environmental Police Dispatch can be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-632-8075.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #24 on: Aug 07, 2019, 12:29 PM »
Consequences of what I now consider to be the most spot burnt striper venue on the planet.  A friend had let me know about this too...

westernmas

« Reply #25 on: Aug 07, 2019, 12:40 PM »
I'm glad they went out and busted the people they did but why aren't they there more frequently.  I followed a guy back to his truck on Saturday that was carrying a maybe 25 inch fish.  I should have called the EPOs but by the time they got there he would have been long gone.  They are aware when the fishing is hot in the ditch so they should have people on duty all weekend and they could have doubled or tripled the citations.  I really hope they are taking people's gear as well.  Give a guy a $50 ticket for a short fish and he will be back doing it next week.  Take his gear and he's much less likely to do so.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #26 on: Aug 07, 2019, 01:59 PM »
I'm glad they went out and busted the people they did but why aren't they there more frequently.  I followed a guy back to his truck on Saturday that was carrying a maybe 25 inch fish.  I should have called the EPOs but by the time they got there he would have been long gone.  They are aware when the fishing is hot in the ditch so they should have people on duty all weekend and they could have doubled or tripled the citations.  I really hope they are taking people's gear as well.  Give a guy a $50 ticket for a short fish and he will be back doing it next week.  Take his gear and he's much less likely to do so.

Take his vehicle and even more so less likely.
Wicked Wec

Steve H.

« Reply #27 on: Aug 08, 2019, 08:06 AM »
Take his vehicle and even more so less likely.

This.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #28 on: Aug 08, 2019, 01:29 PM »
Fine them Take their gear and transportation. Make them do service hours as well. If they are poaching fish they are more than likely some of the pigs leaving all the trash along the canal. Put their faces out there make them known.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.