FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Will Wonders Never Cease?  (Read 1028 times)

bogtrotter

Will Wonders Never Cease?
« on: Aug 01, 2019, 08:06 PM »
I fished the South Hoosic for an hour this evening.

Mostly sunny, 70 degrees.

I started by Mullen Mayflower and the hole by the tree with the gnarly roots. Nothing.

I crossed the stream and hiked north (downstream) along the Bike Trail to Burnett Bednarz Bridge, where I caught a 9 rainbow.

I headed further downstream along the Bike Trail and tried the hole above the footbridge. Nada.

I waded under the footbridge and had a few taps, but whatever it was wouldn't commit.

I walked back to my car and drove south (upstream) to Cheshire Harbor, where I tried just below the dam.

Lo and behold, I landed not one but two 5" bullheads.

This was surprising, to say the least, because in 25+ years of fishing the Hoosic (all three branches), I have NEVER caught a bullhead.

lowaccord66

Re: Will Wonders Never Cease?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2019, 08:11 PM »
Pretty cool Jim!  Best part of fishing, you never know....

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2019, 08:22 PM »
It only counts if you get them on a dry fly... LOL! (I have only done it once with bullhead)

manitron

« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Jim, when I was a lad, I caught innumerable black bullhead out of  Sawyers Pond and the Hoosic along the tracks[now the trail] from the Harbor to the lake.

bogtrotter

« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2019, 08:45 PM »
Jim, when I was a lad, I caught innumerable black bullhead out of  Sawyers Pond and the Hoosic along the tracks[now the trail] from the Harbor to the lake.

Interesting.  I have fished the stretch of the Hoosic you've mentioned several times myself, and never saw hide-nor-hair (fin?) of a bullhead.

I wonder what has changed.

On a different note - Which one is Sawyers Pond?  I cannot place it.

manitron

« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2019, 05:50 AM »
Jim, it is the pond alongside the trail just north of Railroad St. Haven't been there in over 40 years but it was small, relatively shallow and inundated with bullhead and dink perch. I noticed that they have been using the adjacent gravel pit over the years so I am not sure if the pond is even fishable anymore.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.