FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Crabs and Bones  (Read 1045 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Crabs and Bones
« on: Aug 19, 2019, 09:10 AM »
First and foremost a shout out to S&SS for dropping of 2 bones to me yesterday. Much appreciated and I hope you guys enjoy the sausage and wine! I have not caught any on my own YET but I am hoping to change that this season. This was my first time filleting them and eating them and although the meat texture is definitely soft, still fillets nicely. As far as eating, my oh my are they tasty! I marinated in a soy ginger sauce for 5 minutes and then cooked them up on high heat over ramp compound butter on a cast iron. I think the picture says it all. Earlier that day in what felt like 100 degrees and 100% humidity, I took my little guy for a quick run to a local spot and we ended up catching 5 blue shell crabs in about an hour. We enjoyed those for lunch with some fresh lemonade.

Wicked Wec

stripernut

Re: Crabs and Bones
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2019, 09:38 AM »
Very nice!

I can't get down for any funny fish for another 3 weeks, but can't wait to hook up on the fly rod! I also want to drop a net for some blue crabs myself... Haven't done that since I was a kid in FL...

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2019, 09:42 AM »
Nice Mike!  Not to Hijack but I am very interested in fly fishing for them as well.  Allan Id be interested in your recommended setup.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2019, 09:53 AM »
Nice Mike!  Not to Hijack but I am very interested in fly fishing for them as well.  Allan Id be interested in your recommended setup.

No worries at all, I am also interested. LOL
Wicked Wec

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2019, 11:20 AM »
I use my 9 wt as you never know what you will hook and the bones fight very hard so that you don't feel over gunned. Run and Gun is the most fun if you are not trying to share with an impolite crowd, if you are, find your own schools. Intermediated or sinking line is most often the way to go and I use a two-handed retrieve with a stripping basket, but then again I use a stripping basket trout fishing...

deerhunter

« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2019, 11:31 AM »
I,ve only fished for bonitos once. they do fight well on lite gear. gotta get out and give it a try.the hooter is a good area for em. nice crabs and good eats

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2019, 11:38 AM »
They are almost everywhere in buzzards bay and the Southside and around the vineyard as well. Fly rod Is very challenging when they are not in thick schools. Timing and precision is absolutely key. The ones I found it buzzards bay were small fast packs which would of been nearly impossible to get on with the fly. The ones i ran into on the vineyard though were in big ravenous schools which were easy to throw flies too. Bunch of people around me when i was at the vineyard were fly fishing for them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.