FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: MMMMMMMMMM! Fish Tacos  (Read 5421 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
MMMMMMMMMM! Fish Tacos
« on: Jul 30, 2011, 04:41 PM »
I'd love to post some pictures...but.... They disappeared :-\ Dang they were good.

I used Swai. It's a farm raised catfish. Super mild and flaky white meat. I highly recommend it. around $3.99 / lb flash frozen individual fillets vacuumed packed and very fresh when thawed.

I don't keep fish this time of year. They taste like ..well...crap compared to through the ice. I tell you...these are good!

Lightly breaded fish strips
Diced black and green olives
Shredded lettuce
Shredded Monterrey Jack
Salsa
And last ...but not least...FRANKS RED HOT ;D

Stuff the shells and dig in.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
Re: MMMMMMMMMM! Fish Tacos
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2011, 04:58 PM »
These are great and I also instead of using lettuce and such just use Cole Slaw. I got a great Carolina style Hot Slaw that adds some nice heat for just this. Sloppy but oh so good.
Did you put the plug in the boat?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2011, 05:38 PM »
Hot slaw....sounds yummy.
Care to part with a recipe?
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

WildOutdoorAddict

• Get the net!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2011, 05:48 PM »
Oh yes, they are good! A buddy of mine told me about these a while back and I made them with crappie, walleye mostly.. but just about any fish would probably be good. I mix a little mayo and hot sauce for on mine sometimes.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2011, 07:02 PM »
Hey RG, try poaching the fish instead of frying it.... I have been doing this for years.

4 chicken boulion cubes
1 yellow onion coarsely cut
3 cloves of garlic crushed but not minced
1/4 cup of olive oil
"some" comino or cumin (to taste)
"some" chili powder (to taste)

Combine all ingredients in your big frying pan with about 1'' of water. Simmer and stir until ingredients are "cooked out". Use a slotted spoon to catch the stuff out of the broth and discard the stuff. With the broth just barely simmering, gently slip your fillets in. The fluid level should be about 2/3 the depth as the thickness of your filets. It is very important to keep the heat low and to keep a slow simmer. Do not boil the fillets. When the edges of the fish are cooked, carefully turn the fillets over. You may need two spatulas to turn the fish and keep it in one piece. Only turn the fish once.

I like to use the cheap white flaky fish for this. Hake, Pollok, Hoki, or cod. Northern pike works well too.

You can substitute the Mexican seasonings for Italian and use the flaked fish in spaghetti..... My oldest son makes fish spaghetti tacos.... :blink:

Poached fish can be incredibly flavorful and it is super easy to do.

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2011, 08:59 PM »
try poaching the fish instead of frying it

Yeah, I much prefer an unbattered fish in tacos.. poached or grilled is how I do mine, some lemon, lime and cilantro, and your good to go on the grill

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2012, 11:41 AM »
Try this baja sauce on your fish tacos!!  Very good!! 

http://soupaddict.com/2009/06/wickedly-good-fish-taco-sauce/

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team

WildOutdoorAddict

• Get the net!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2012, 03:45 PM »
They are good!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.