FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Little Sodus Bay Walleye?  (Read 6758 times)

Bosco

Little Sodus Bay Walleye?
« on: Jul 19, 2019, 03:04 PM »
Anyone know if there's any sort of resident population there? I understand there's some right next door in Blind Sodus. I've got a place for a weekend (my first time on Little Sodus) and wanted to know if I'd be wasting my time or if there was a challenge in the wait that could pay off. Crappie and Perch would be my 2nd preference but I figure I can always hit the bass and pike if action becomes more important than table fare. I've got the generic contour map and I'm not looking for spots or tips. Just...are there any eyes in there at all? Thanks folks.

Badbrad2186

Re: Little Sodus Bay Walleye?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2019, 05:54 PM »
Anyone know if there's any sort of resident population there? I understand there's some right next door in Blind Sodus. I've got a place for a weekend (my first time on Little Sodus) and wanted to know if I'd be wasting my time or if there was a challenge in the wait that could pay off. Crappie and Perch would be my 2nd preference but I figure I can always hit the bass and pike if action becomes more important than table fare. I've got the generic contour map and I'm not looking for spots or tips. Just...are there any eyes in there at all? Thanks folks.

Well the answer to your question is yes it's a bay of lake Ontario lake Ontario has walleye so little sodus has walleye not going to say your going to catch them but then again. I fish Sodus bay all the time and I still haven't found them in there consistently so good luck

kingfisher22

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2019, 07:05 PM »
If it's anything like the bays on the eastern end, I would look for shallow rock piles (6' -12') with weeds.  Yes, that shallow even this time of year and in this heat.  Try lipless cranks, chatter baits  and A-rigs.  Rip the cranks and chatter baits through the weeds when you hit them.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2019, 08:57 PM »
table fare I'd be after the perch
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Badbrad2186

« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2019, 06:58 AM »
table fare I'd be after the perch

Whats Table Fare is that like cab fare but for the dinner table? Lol I would rather target perch and the pan fish on lake Ontario and then walleye on Oneida

mdm25549

« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2019, 12:46 PM »
I don’t know what you guys are doing to your Lake Ontario walleyes to make them taste anything other than excellent unless you’re keeping 10+ lbers

Bosco

« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2019, 01:35 PM »
I keep a lot of Irondequoit Bay Walleye, generally in the 18"-22" specifically for eating and, you're right, they're excellent.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 2019, 02:17 PM »
I fish lake Ontario a lot  I fish Oneida lake a lot too first I would take a perch dinner over walleyes any day of the week hands down  .....that's not to say I don't keep  Ontario walleyes  18 to 22 are good but   I think Oneidas are better  ...my opinion ......I think it's because of alewives .....and if you eat a 10 walleye I'm betting you enjoy ontarios lake trout burbit and gar pike as well
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

jperch

« Reply #8 on: Jul 21, 2019, 03:15 PM »
The best way to settle this would be to send some fillets from 20" walleyes from each place to an independent taste tester.  PM me for the address of a randomly chosen professional walleye taster.  Maybe not all walleyes from Oneida are the same so multiple samples from there would be best.

I've had modest size walleyes from both Lake O and Oneida.  All good but I prefer those from Oneida.  I probably agree that the alewives in Lake O don't improve the flavor of the eyes, especially the larger ones.  And as trapper said, hard to beat a perch dinner.  By the way, I was told years ago by a now retired bait seller that there are a few locals who target eyes in Litttle Sodus.  He would not say much else.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Jul 21, 2019, 03:47 PM »
I'll volunteer....just send your walleye and perch fillets to me and I'll do a completely unbiased taste test for you. I'll even cook each several different ways to be sure of my decision. I can do them fried, baked, blackened, poached or pickled.

So be certain to send enough.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

filetandrelease

« Reply #10 on: Jul 21, 2019, 04:25 PM »

How thoughtful 😃

Badbrad2186

« Reply #11 on: Jul 21, 2019, 04:33 PM »
Ok well I might not be as old as some of you hear but I have alot of experience fishing as I've been on a boat with my Papa since before I could walk. I have had walleyes from all over the state. I live 10 minutes from Sodus bay and 1.5 hours from Onieda. I love to fish sodus but I target perch and panfish there. I also love to fish Onieda and hands down no questions asked if I was given the option to go fish for walleyes on Ontario or Walleyes on Oneida I would make the trip to onieda 100% of the time over Ontario. Walleyes in Onieda taste way better

jperch

« Reply #12 on: Jul 21, 2019, 04:35 PM »
I appreciate that RG and I will be certain to add your name to my long list of professional walleye tasters.  Just to make sure it's all scientific and all we'll make it a double blind study.  So the fillets can first be sent to me and then I'll distribute them to all the tasters without them knowing which body of water they came from.  Yeah, that's it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Jul 21, 2019, 04:35 PM »
All simply opinions.

And, just like Elbows, everyone has one.

8)

Beenperchin315

« Reply #14 on: Jul 21, 2019, 04:40 PM »
I will donate my taste buds to this sampling

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.