FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: BassJunky's Frog Collection  (Read 26739 times)

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: BassJunky's Frog Collection
« Reply #45 on: Apr 03, 2013, 12:36 PM »
Love the reviews.  As a horny toad user, I've been looking for a frog that has the same combination of attributes

a) Loud Buzz

b) heavy - casts a very long way

c) allows for good hookups.

Have you found anything close?

The only close one I have used is the stanley ribbit frog, but that doesn't cast nearly as far as a horny toad.   the new buzzing warmouth looks like it could have the right combination of attributes.  does the Xplodin toad have some castable weight to it?

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #46 on: Apr 03, 2013, 03:31 PM »
I have yet to try the warmouth but I bought one for this season.. the Xplodin toad does not have the weight of the Horny toad but it does cast very well. Have you tried the Strike King Rage Toad.. it has to be one of the heavier frogs on the marker and it kicks up some serious water

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #47 on: Apr 08, 2013, 08:09 AM »
New week, new frog review.

I tested out the standard Furbit and Poppin Furbit (by Optimum) last year and this is the first time I can say that I actually preferred the poppin' model.

It has all the same perks as the classic Furbit (hefty weight, soft durable body and removable blade), but the one change they made was to remove one leg and give it more of tail. I like the slither motion that fur tails give frog baits, and I think the tail vs. legs gives the fish something easier to hone in on

Bgcarl

« Reply #48 on: Apr 09, 2013, 09:10 AM »
This is one of the New guys to the market

Where: Walmart
Price: 7.96
Brand: Lunkerhunt

The quality is fantastic and it has a nice paint job, although the fish won't notice it.
The body and legs are sturdy and feels a lot like a live target frog (but much cheaper $$$)

The legs are more than a gimmicky tassel. The frog’s legs extend on the retrieve and contract during pauses to replicate real frog movements. On the pause the frog will sit at a 45 degree angle with just its head poking out of the water once again to replicate the resting position of a frog.

It created a good amount of noise on the surface and its weedless design lets it slip through the cover easily

I received many comments about how this frog is just like the Dahlberg frog, which is a common misconception. Besides having similar legs they are different. Dahlberg is a diving lure whereas the Lunkerhunt frog is a topwater. This lure takes the best of live target's frog and dahlbergs' frogs and combines them into one awesome hybrid. 

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #49 on: Apr 09, 2013, 11:02 AM »
Thanks for posting.. that frog is made by a company local to me, yet they opted to ship to the US Walmart first. I spoke to the owner (great guy) he is sending me one to review. The legs remind me of the Dhalberg frog by River2Sea

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #50 on: Apr 15, 2013, 08:11 AM »
I just posted a new frog review, this one is a semi-retired frog from Uncle Josh/Sizmic. It has some pro's and con's to it, I think a few more con's then pro's hence the fact that is it no longer available from most retailers. It is very tuff, and casts like a shot, but I found it awkward to get moving well in the water.

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #51 on: Apr 15, 2013, 01:42 PM »
I've always had good look with the Berkeley power bait realistic frogs

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #52 on: Apr 23, 2013, 01:30 AM »
Hi bassjunky,
I saw a frog online you might be interested in.  It's called "Foxy Frog" and it a color changing frog from a bran new tackle company out of Ont. CAN.
The company is called "Smartbaits".  Check out the frog and other baits at ---> http://www.smartbaits.net/#.

There are some neat looking color changing and glow baits. 8)

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #53 on: Apr 23, 2013, 07:31 AM »
thanks man, I will check that out for sure

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #54 on: Apr 23, 2013, 07:31 AM »

No frog review this week, in it's place is a frog hook review.. the Lake Fork Frog Tail hook

I got to break this hook in last season, and I can honestly say that it is a quality hook that will work on a long list but not all hollow body frogs. I personally tried it on 12 frogs and it fit onto 8 of them.

This hook will obviously make any hollow body frog it is applied to less "weedless" but it will help on days when the fish are short striking. I only wish it came with options like a weed guard or various sizes.

anyways check em out

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #55 on: Apr 24, 2013, 03:52 PM »
No problem bassjunky. I though you might find that one interesting and being in Ont. It should be a bit easier for you to pick one up.

Do you have a review for the Big Bite Baits Floating Toad?

WW

Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #56 on: Apr 29, 2013, 08:18 AM »
Here is another winner for ya, the Ultimate Bucket-mouth Ugly frog, and Ugly is right. I did a mini review/test drive on this frog back in 2011, but the full review was posted this morning. Nohting like a rubber pancake claiming to be the most realistic frog available

mr tip up

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2013, 07:31 PM »
great reviews keep them coming
a bad day of fishing is better then a good day of work

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2013, 07:18 AM »
Well it is Monday.. so here is a new "frog" review, though this one may not be considered a frog by all..

Im a fan of the Lunker City Salad spoon, it is a very traditional soft plastic bait, no bells and whistles, just flat out catches fish. I have seen a few current baits companies making very similar baits, so it must be doing something right

for the full review see below

http://bassjunkiesfrogpond.blogspot.ca/2013/05/lunker-city-salad-spoon-review.html

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.