FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512829 times)

boondox

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #165 on: Jul 16, 2015, 10:27 PM »
about them photo of that last post and open composting...  thing about the open composting is "bugs" like Japanese beetle's  if you till the old wasted squashes etc they get in to the soil and it is very hard to get rid of them. cause it is a buffet for bugs is what happen most of all with old rotten vegies so I would keep it to a minimum on how much you use.... if you have to  look up how to get rid of those beetles they suggest not tilling under old plants and veggies  in this region the msu farmers do on a few web sites produced by msu ....my suggestion do it but don't over do it those beetles can be awful...look it up if you have to ....

Mac Attack

« Reply #166 on: Jul 17, 2015, 06:10 AM »
Bugs can get into a rotating composter too through the holes.
So really no difference between open or contained in this regard.

Besides, nothing is perfect.  But all good points.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #167 on: Jul 17, 2015, 02:33 PM »
Thanks Mac. I figure the tumbler will be a good experiment to start with. Seems small and cheap enough to give it a try.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #168 on: Jul 17, 2015, 02:43 PM »
Your better off with a tumbler to start..   Than I had two of them than three.. ;D ;D ;D  You might want to take in to consideration of the height so you can get a wheelbarrow under it to empty the contents....
Now I just have three  4' x 4' bins...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #169 on: Jul 17, 2015, 03:29 PM »
Good idea Dom. Thanks.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

BLACK ICE

« Reply #170 on: Jul 17, 2015, 03:37 PM »
Your better off with a tumbler to start..   Than I had two of them than three.. ;D ;D ;D  You might want to take in to consideration of the height so you can get a wheelbarrow under it to empty the contents....
Now I just have three  4' x 4' bins...
              I saw some pictures of different types of compost barrels and  bins, are bins made out of pressure treated wood, would the wood give off any of
              the chemicals that are in the wood?

Wnthunting

« Reply #171 on: Jul 17, 2015, 04:58 PM »
I have a compost pile for my garden that is just piled on the ground.. I put all my veggie scraps, chicken poop and yard debris in it ... Does it turn to compost faster in a tumbler or just keep thing neater in the yard ? Here's a pic of my garden 😁

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #172 on: Jul 17, 2015, 09:34 PM »
I saw some pictures of different types of compost barrels and  bins, are bins made out of pressure treated wood, would the wood give off any of the chemicals that are in the wood?

Jeff never use anything presser treated for your garden.. My compost bins are made out of hard wood pallets.

I have a compost pile for my garden that is just piled on the ground.. I put all my veggie scraps, chicken poop and yard debris in it ... Does it turn to compost faster in a tumbler or just keep thing neater in the yard ? Here's a pic of my garden 😁

Great looking garden Wnthunting ... :clapping: :thumbup_smilie:
A lot of people just dont have room for big piles but a tumbler is great for them... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #173 on: Jul 19, 2015, 07:34 PM »
Wnthunting whats in the pond? that's a garden within its self. I would be growing blue gills and crappies in there... ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #174 on: Jul 20, 2015, 02:42 AM »
We've been eating Better Boys for a few days. They're starting to come on.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #175 on: Jul 21, 2015, 12:49 PM »
Been picking cucumbers and summer squash like crazy..... ;D
Might be time to put the stand out by the end of the driveway.... ;D

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #176 on: Jul 21, 2015, 02:42 PM »
My gardens are so ready to explode. I've been picking a couple zucchini a day for the last couple. I predict I'll pick 8 tomorrow, and a couple of summer squash to go with them. Peas are just about ready. Tomatoes are still green but as big as softballs. Peppers are small but loaded, and 2 of the broccoli have heads the size of a dinner plate. And the cukes are loaded with gherkin size fruit. I told the wife to get ready for the bounty.

Oh, and there's the first thunder of the day.....  I swear, it's rained every other day here this summer!  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #177 on: Jul 21, 2015, 03:31 PM »
Nothing like fresh summer harvest ;D

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #178 on: Jul 21, 2015, 04:33 PM »
Nothing like fresh summer harvest ;D

Rg

Right you are my non-working buddy.

Peppers and green beans from the garden tonight with our dinner!!

Awesome.

boondox

« Reply #179 on: Jul 21, 2015, 06:52 PM »
My gardens are so ready to explode. I've been picking a couple zucchini a day for the last couple. I predict I'll pick 8 tomorrow, and a couple of summer squash to go with them. Peas are just about ready. Tomatoes are still green but as big as softballs. Peppers are small but loaded, and 2 of the broccoli have heads the size of a dinner plate. And the cukes are loaded with gherkin size fruit. I told the wife to get ready for the bounty.

Oh, and there's the first thunder of the day.....  I swear, it's rained every other day here this summer!  ;D

hope you got a canning system going....our tomato's are green still but some are like hard ball size we did not go with the heirloom variety this year.. but did a couple years ago we went with nothing but tomato's  in the big boxes we plant in  and we had brandy wine heirloom tomato's you could make slices out of one that would hang over the slice of the loaf of bread when you made a blt sandwich..   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.