FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512809 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #480 on: Aug 23, 2016, 04:57 AM »
Looks like I'll be doing another couple batches this week. Tomatoes show no signs of ending anytime soon. Got my fall radish crop started yesterday. Put in some beans too. Don't know if they'll produce this late, but it's been warm so what the heck.

Took a look at the chipper shreader last night. The guy couldn't get it started right off. He had to put gas in the cylinder to get it going. When it did start it made the most god awful squealing sound I've ever heard. He tried to tell me it could be repaired for $50. Needless to say, I passed. It's probably more than I want anyway. I'll keep looking. I told him I'd buy a new one before I'd mess around with that one.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #481 on: Aug 23, 2016, 06:18 AM »
Donna's tomatoes in the 2 pots aren't even turning red yet.
And one of them is starting to die, AND there are tomatoes missing.
They were green too.
We thought maybe deer, but we have not seen any this year.
And I thought green tomatoes weren't anything a squirrel would eat.
And the rabbits, which we have tons of, can't reach that high.
The other plant right next to it is fine.
Crazy.

:blink:

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #483 on: Aug 23, 2016, 07:44 PM »

No clue why it did doubles......

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #484 on: Aug 24, 2016, 05:15 AM »
It looks doubely great buddy...  ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #485 on: Aug 24, 2016, 05:36 AM »
Nice plot DD. I'm gonna steal your pickle frame idea next year.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

drowndin dots

« Reply #486 on: Aug 24, 2016, 04:20 PM »
It looks doubely great buddy...  ;D
I'm pleased with everything I grew this year  ;D

drowndin dots

« Reply #487 on: Aug 24, 2016, 04:28 PM »
Nice plot DD. I'm gonna steal your pickle frame idea next year.

Rg
In that case, it WAS a cheap green house from Christmas tree shops. The plastic got destroyed during a storm while I was in the hospital. Simple to replicate, but I didn't want to wast it so my Bride and I  .... Mostly her  ;D came up with that. I used to make tee-pees with bamboo steaks. This by far trumps my idea. All organic BTW Only used Neem Oil for pest control. One thing I do, and I cant stress this enough, is burn every spring. And there is no such thing as too much. I burn every down branch, leaf and then some, great food and kills mold and fungus.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #488 on: Aug 24, 2016, 06:15 PM »
I thought it looked familiar DD. We've got the same greenhouse.  Haven't lost the cover yet.  We tried the trellis thing with chicken wire a couple years ago.  It worked okay but the cukes always wanted to grow inside the wire "O's".
Nice garden!   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #489 on: Aug 24, 2016, 07:22 PM »
Yeah, I had some cukes and pickles grow through the chicken wire. I won't be able to do a burn....unless I want to lose my garage :-\

This fall I'm gonna beef up the soil with compost and mulch the beds with a good layer of leaves. Especially the asparagus bed which is doing just great. It's shooting out sprouts the size of my thumb already. I'm thinking I'll have a small harvest next spring.

It's been a fun growing season and it's far from over.

Rg

tomturkey

« Reply #490 on: Aug 25, 2016, 03:13 AM »
I know it will be tempting next spring but let the grass grow another year to strengthen the crowns. there have been fields here that lasted 40 years. I would not cover it with black plastic for the winter as that would warm the ground earlier in the spring making the asparagus sprout early before last frost. Remember when you do start picking it snap it of do not cut it. Then ever inch is ediable unlike the California stuff that is cut and you throw half of it away.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #491 on: Aug 25, 2016, 05:16 AM »
Thanks for the advice Tom. I won't cover it with plastic. Just mulched leaves. I can't believe how thick they have gotten in just one year. There's 15-20 sprouts from each crown and they're 4' tall. There's lots of little green berries as well. I assume those are seeds. Guess I'll have to be patient ;D

Rg

drowndin dots

« Reply #492 on: Aug 25, 2016, 05:37 AM »
I thought it looked familiar DD. We've got the same greenhouse.  Haven't lost the cover yet.  We tried the trellis thing with chicken wire a couple years ago.  It worked okay but the cukes always wanted to grow inside the wire "O's".
Nice garden!   ;D
Thanks  ;D

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #493 on: Aug 25, 2016, 06:00 AM »
Every ones stuff looks great...  Mines coming a long just fine..    ;D

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

wallyworld

« Reply #494 on: Aug 25, 2016, 06:12 AM »
Help, please.
I planted pumpkins this year for the first time. Thought I would have a bumper crop based on the number of flowers there were, but....flowers were all i got, no pumpkins at all!!!!! Any suggestions for next year??
Thanks in advance  ;D

P.S.
Tomatoes, peppers and cukes all did good, just the pumpkins failed to fruit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.