FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513015 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #525 on: Aug 28, 2016, 02:41 PM »
Looks great Bob. Very clean and organized. After working today just spent an hour  watering mine. Went back and dug down a little and it was  bone dry.. Spent another hour doing it over.But everything is growing  great. Still got a lot of baby cucumbers and peppers and tomatoes are going strong. Pulled my broccoli and cauliflower so I put in some lettuce seeds..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #526 on: Aug 28, 2016, 02:53 PM »
Thanks guys,

A small garden is easy to manage I guess. I have an idea for a potting bench that's been rattling around my brain. I think it mite take shape before the end of the growing season this year.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

boondox

« Reply #527 on: Aug 28, 2016, 03:19 PM »
Rg that asparagus looks awesome!! Micro gardening works for you? I know it works for us...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #528 on: Aug 28, 2016, 05:12 PM »
This is the first year with the little square foot garden. I learned a lot about placement, spacing and timing. But, it produced like crazy for the size of it.

The asparagus bed is humming along very nicely putting up shoots the size of my finger in diameter. I'm amazed at how well it took off . The bed is deep...18"... And filled with a pretty good soil mix.

I wish I had room to really do it up right, but I don't so I'll make the best of what I have.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

boondox

« Reply #529 on: Aug 28, 2016, 05:43 PM »
Ya they really over grow quickly.. we had 50 Tomato plants. We sprouted from seeding one box man every thing from brandywine to cherry Tomato's.. had to thow 100% of yhem away cause we had to many and bugs got to them.. the next year we planted 12 sunflowers in the front of that box like a fence.. and thet grew big like 14 footers .. smallest was about 10 foot another thing that grew like weeds .. any how enjoy what you got and keep it simple is all I can suggest like you got.. cause it makes it easier to keep up on the weeding pruning  watering etc.. big gardens are arse breakers no question about it..

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #530 on: Aug 28, 2016, 06:23 PM »
I can't fathom 50 tomato plants. With only 14 and still canning. Started a batch of sauce today.  It'll be a lot of fun come time to plan next year's planting. Life is all about the 4 seasons. I could never live in a mono-climactic area. The 4 seasons are what life is about.

Rg

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #531 on: Aug 28, 2016, 07:07 PM »

Very nice Rg, I pulled all but 1 of my Zucchini plants. The pickling cukes are winding down, still a few flowers and little ones coming but man the market more cukes are cranking 4 vines and counted over 30 small ones with as many flowers, should be getting cukes till October. Finally getting some ripe maters, beefsteaks and romas with about 8-10 cherrys a day. Peppers are all flowering again and the brussles are really starting to get some size to them. And I thought my green beans were all finished but much to my surprise they all flowered again and sprouted new growth. The only thing I fed besides whats in the soil was 2 doses of Kool Bloom about 3 weeks ago. Must have given them a kick in the arse. I think I'll plant a round of peas tomorrow but with Hunting season nearly upon us i don't want to be a slave to the garden much longer......

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #532 on: Aug 29, 2016, 02:00 PM »
Taking care of my neighbour's chickens for 3 weeks while they drive cross country..   Been getting 12 to 14 eggs a  day..  The other night my bride made quiche and only the pie crust  and cheese came from the store..   All veggies from the garden and ham from a hog my buddy had slaughtered...

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

boondox

« Reply #533 on: Aug 29, 2016, 02:15 PM »
I can't fathom 50 tomato plants. With only 14 and still canning. Started a batch of sauce today.  It'll be a lot of fun come time to plan next year's planting. Life is all about the 4 seasons. I could never live in a mono-climactic area. The 4 seasons are what life is about.

Rg

We thought hay it would be cool having 2to3 of each type of Tomato and we grew way to many is what happened started from seed in paper towels that were wet threw them in plastic bags and let them pop . After they poped threw the shell we removed the seed shell and planted point down.... had one hell of a yield that year and threw out almost 100%of the Tomato's cause we could not use that many mostly the bugs got to them etc.. etc.. and most went in trash cause of bugs.. aphids got to them .. did not want the bugs coming back so we got rid of them.. .

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #534 on: Aug 29, 2016, 05:31 PM »
Oh my Dom! At looks incredible. Wish we were neighbors :w00t:

d**n the cardiologist.......full cheese ahead!

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #535 on: Aug 29, 2016, 05:43 PM »
Finally found a good deal on a chipper shreader.

MTD 5 hp. Takes up to 2 1/2" branches. Chute drops to ground level for leaves. Looks to be very well taken care of.

$225. But, I have to drive a bit to get it. About 120 miles one way. But a good deal is worth a little effort.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #536 on: Aug 29, 2016, 06:07 PM »
Those look awesome Dom.  We've got chickens too and when the eggs get way ahead of us, my bride makes quiches for us too.  They freeze really well both in slices and whole.  Whole makes for a nice quick dinner and the slices are an awesome breakfast on the run.  Yum!    ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #537 on: Aug 29, 2016, 06:11 PM »
Looks like a good deal RG. You may have a 2 hr. ride to get there,  but y that let's you find the fishing holes to hit on the easy home.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #538 on: Aug 29, 2016, 06:13 PM »

My Lord Dom, they look scrumptious  :o :o :thumbup_smilie:

tomturkey

« Reply #539 on: Aug 29, 2016, 06:28 PM »
I miss being able to have chickens. I have not had a quiche in years.

One time when the chickens were way ahead of us I decided to make custard out of a dozen. I ate almost the whole bowl in one sitting. I think that is the last time I have had real egg custard. Sounds pretty good so maybe it is time to make another bowl.

I guess it was not if you count the diabetic coconut custard pie the wife developed. We took a couple of  pies to my diabetic doctor appointment. When I told him to make sure he got a piece before the girls ate it all. He flipped when we told him it was 100 carbs thinking we meant for a piece when it was for the whole pie.

RG great find. I am looking for a shredder that  size as I am always trimming back the neighbors trees that over take my yard. Better to be able to shred them vs. haul the to the property.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.