FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513053 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #690 on: Sep 18, 2016, 08:54 PM »
Sure sounds good Bill..
Even when I was a punk kid back in the day, living with 5 other punks at times in apartments I always grew tomato's and peppers one way or another...  Either in planters or a spot in the yard but the best was when I asked a neighbour if I could help him grow more in his garden.... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #691 on: Sep 19, 2016, 04:14 AM »
In the end, it's a perfect "old man" past time. I've had house plants for more years than I can remember. It wasn't until a few years ago I discovered growing my own veggies. Didn't take long for me to dive right in.

Question......I have about 250 bulbs to plant for tulips, daffodils, iris, Asian lilies, crocus and the like. Should I wait till it's cooler to do that? I was thinking that with this unusually warm fall they might try to start ad and fail. I don't want them to die off.

What do you think?

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #692 on: Sep 19, 2016, 06:04 AM »
I would wait. That also gives the squirrels less time to find them and eat them..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #693 on: Sep 19, 2016, 07:36 AM »
Good point.
I pulled the last tomato plant in the raised beds this morning. Also repositioned the trellises for the beans and snow peas.. They're going crazy. Pulled the radishes. Marginal crop this time. Over the next few days I'm going to plant another small crop of radishes. I decided to turn the planting at the back of the house to all flowers for next year,  so I'll be pulling the last tomatoes from there and preparing that for spring planting.

For now I'm waiting to plant bulbs and garlic.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #694 on: Sep 19, 2016, 07:41 AM »
I was always told to plant the garlic when the kids go back to school. You're in that window now, and with the recent rains, it might be just right. We got 2 1/2" last night!!!  :clapping:
I don't think squirrels like garlic.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #695 on: Sep 19, 2016, 10:09 AM »
I was always told to plant the garlic when the kids go back to school. You're in that window now, and with the recent rains, it might be just right. We got 2 1/2" last night!!!  :clapping:
I don't think squirrels like garlic.   ;D

I've been told this as well, but i recently heard from a few people to plant it during the full moon in October, which is the 16th this year. I haven't planted mine yet, as the garden keeps producing. So,  i thought about meeting the first day of school (9/7) and the October full moon (10/16) half way, and planting the weekend of 9/24

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #696 on: Sep 19, 2016, 12:31 PM »
Supposed to plant garlic the week the kids go back to school.....
You have to listen to Mike McGraths "you bet your garden" on NPR radio 7am Saturday and Sunday..Garlic was the topic last weekend..

Yeah that's been said before.. ::)   ;D

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #697 on: Sep 19, 2016, 01:04 PM »
I guess so........  :-[  I didn't argue with you, did I.  8)
I will say that i didn't planted mine then because I felt it was too hot and dry.  :-\

We went to the Garlic Festival in Bennington, VT over Labor Day weekend. Very interesting. Everything garlic, garlic cheese curds, pickled garlic, garlic ice cream, garlic chocolate chip cookies...... the list goes on. There were also several small breweries, wineries, and distilleries mixed in that offered samples, sort of to cleanse your palette between "garlicy" things. It was a fun afternoon. I picked up a couple different varieties of bulbs that I'm going to try.   ;D
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #698 on: Sep 19, 2016, 01:21 PM »
Garlic festivals are great.  We have one close by we go to..
I was lucky enough to go to one in Gilroy California ,the garlic capital of the world,years ago when my in-laws lived out there...
Got mine in.... ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #699 on: Sep 19, 2016, 04:02 PM »
I think it's still too warm in my neck of the woods. 84 out there right now. I'll take my vpchances and wait a couple weeks.

How close do you guys plant your garlic? I'm wondering how densely I can plant in my square foot garden.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #700 on: Sep 19, 2016, 07:29 PM »
I plant mine 6"- 8" apart, just like I plant my onions.   ;D

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #701 on: Sep 19, 2016, 07:37 PM »
I lost my tomato pics yesterday, but throw in a new SD card and we're good to go.  At least I can share some results.  Here's 3/4 of a bushel of plum tomatoes, minus the ends, which went into sauce.  They were 3/8" to 1/2" slices on the dehydrator trays.

;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #702 on: Sep 20, 2016, 03:21 AM »
Interesting. So, you dehydrated the tomatoes then made sauce out of them? What happens to the skins?

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #703 on: Sep 20, 2016, 05:46 AM »
Those look good Bill. What kind of dehydrator do you have. I have a cheep one I got at a church sale and it just doesn't do the job..

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #704 on: Sep 20, 2016, 06:07 AM »
We dehydrated and made sauce. The dehydrated ones go through a quick hot water bath into ice water and the skins pinch right off. Then sliced and onto the dehydrator trays.
The tomatoes that go into sauce just get quartered and run through the mill.  Seeds and skins come out the end; juice and pulp come out the bottom and gets simmered down to sauce.
The chickens get the skins and seeds. They live them.  Next year's  tomatoes get the chicken......  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.