FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512822 times)

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #900 on: Oct 28, 2016, 04:40 PM »

Wicked bummer Dom.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #901 on: Oct 30, 2016, 06:22 PM »
Well, the garden is officially asleep. Picked it clean and turned it over. Piled a bunch of mulched leaves and grass on the beds and wished it well till spring comes around. For dinner we had the last of the fresh beans, spinach and chard with our steak and potatoes. The hot peppers are chopped, bagged and waiting their duty in the freezer. Can't believe the amount of peppers I harvested from just 3 plants.

The asparagus is still very green so it will go on till it dies off. Then I'll cover the beds with mulch.

Sure was a fun planting season. Lots of good eats and a fair stash in the cupboard.

Very much looking forward to next year.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

drowndin dots

« Reply #902 on: Nov 02, 2016, 06:03 PM »

Final pull for the season, still got some carrots out might let some go till spring and some I'll pull after a good hard freeze. All the peppers will head for the dehydrator except for a jar of Japs that I'm gonna try canning Bread N Butter style. Brussles freeze well and the carrots are destined for a stew this weekend. Life is good my friends, sad to see the season come to an end, but very pleased with the garden this year.  ;D

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #903 on: Nov 02, 2016, 06:29 PM »
Great harvest Ed.......
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #904 on: Nov 02, 2016, 06:41 PM »
That's a fitting table to end the year.

My Bride and I had Tuna Subs for dinner with pickled jalapeņos and sweet pickles on the side. Pickled jalapeņos are really delicious. They lost some of the serious bite, but kept all their lingering heat. I haven't tried the pickled cowhorn peppers as yet. I have a feeling they're gonna be dynamite.

I'm thinking about growing peanuts in containers next year. ....ahhhhh.....next year.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

drowndin dots

« Reply #905 on: Nov 02, 2016, 07:00 PM »
That's a fitting table to end the year.

My Bride and I had Tuna Subs for dinner with pickled jalapeņos and sweet pickles on the side. Pickled jalapeņos are really delicious. They lost some of the serious bite, but kept all their lingering heat. I haven't tried the pickled cowhorn peppers as yet. I have a feeling they're gonna be dynamite.

I'm thinking about growing peanuts in containers next year. ....ahhhhh.....next year.

Rg
Yup, sad to move on, but the changing of the seasons defines us here in Upstate NY and I'm excited for the rest of hunting season, Ice season commeth and still plenty of good perchin and shoreline eyes. Now for some surf n turf with a side of brussels sprouts :)

drowndin dots

« Reply #906 on: Nov 02, 2016, 07:00 PM »
Great harvest Ed.......
thanks bud. see you soon ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #907 on: Nov 02, 2016, 07:19 PM »
I have an actual paid vacation form my part time gig next week. That's hilarious! I'll be on the finger lakes filling the freeezer with perch and pannies. Fall fishing is the best.

I'll pickle some fillets of course. What's life without something pickled ;D

Rg

drowndin dots

« Reply #908 on: Nov 02, 2016, 07:30 PM »
I have an actual paid vacation form my part time gig next week. That's hilarious! I'll be on the finger lakes filling the freeezer with perch and pannies. Fall fishing is the best.

I'll pickle some fillets of course. What's life without something pickled ;D

Rg
Do share the results, I'm most curious. I buy a jar of pickled herring once a month.

drowndin dots

« Reply #909 on: Nov 02, 2016, 08:37 PM »

Why I hunt, fish and grow in one beautifully delicious pic.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #910 on: Nov 03, 2016, 03:44 AM »
Oh man that looks good DD.

I copied this from the shanty. Over the years of pickling fish I've perfected my recipe.

Only pickle thoroughly frozen / thawed fish. Parasitic worms are a real possibility.

Wash fillets in cold water and cut into chunks

Brine; Thoroughly dissolve;
2 cups pickling salt
6 cups distilled water (very important to avoid a nasty mineral taste)

Soak fish in brine 4-6 hours or so in the refrigerator.
Remove fish and rinse thoroughly in cold water...discard brine

Heat;
3 cups white vinegar ( at least 5% acid)
1 cup cider vinegar ( at least 5% acid)
1 cup semi sweet white wine (something you'd drink)
2 cups sugar
4 tsp pickling spice

Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or so to infuse the spices into the pickling.  Remove from heat cool to room temp.

Strain pickling spices through cheesecloth or fine sieve to remove spices (I don't always do this, but it's better if you don't like chomping into a chunk of clove or a pepper corn)

Layer fish / Vidalia onion, sliced about 1/8," in a clean glass jar. (I save my pickle jars) Pack fairly well.

Pour cooled pickling over fish/onions to completely cover contents.

With a long utensil (I use a chopstick) poke down into the packed jar to remove any air bubbles and refill with remaining pickling solution.

Cover tightly and refrigerate for a good week before eating (if you can stand to wait that long )

Keep refrigerated!

Should be consumed within 4 - 6 weeks......like it's gonna last that long

Looks like this ;D

Works for any mild fish. Walleye gets much firmer than perch, bluegill or crappie. Bass through the ice come out pretty tasty too. I remove the lateral lines on bass and walleye.

Perch are still my favorite.

RG

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #911 on: Nov 03, 2016, 03:45 AM »
Maybe we should just switch this over to a recipe thread for he winter ;D

Rg

drowndin dots

« Reply #912 on: Nov 03, 2016, 05:22 AM »

Good thinkin!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #913 on: Nov 03, 2016, 06:39 AM »
That looks great Bob. I have a few bags of of pickerel in the freezer to use up..
I have also been looking at sourkruat recipes  for  something to do this weekend..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #914 on: Nov 03, 2016, 06:58 AM »
Talk to Attack about sauerkraut. He's an expert.

Pickerel should be good.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.