FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513059 times)

fishin4eyes

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1350 on: Jun 18, 2017, 11:37 AM »
Do you use cuttings to start the roses

zwiggles

« Reply #1351 on: Jun 18, 2017, 12:25 PM »
Nice job DD! I agree that the planter for strawberries is a neat idea

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1352 on: Jun 18, 2017, 12:34 PM »
Thanks guys, the trellis is a frame from a cheap greenhouse that got destroyed in a storm. Figured why waste it right! And we'll see how the strawberry garden does over the winter, I plan to cover it with burlap and leaves. They are Ozark beauty ever bearing and I've picked till snow before when I potted them but they didn't make it over the winter. If this doesn't work I'm gonna bit the bullet and do a raised bed. Just got back from picking 6 pounds of local berries at Apple dale Orchard, man are they good. Strawberry Shortcake for the in laws dinner tonight!.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1353 on: Jun 18, 2017, 01:16 PM »
Looks great Ed.....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

drowndin dots

« Reply #1354 on: Jun 18, 2017, 02:08 PM »

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1355 on: Jun 18, 2017, 03:06 PM »
Quote from: drowndin dots link=topic=677 :P99.msg774560#msg774560 date=1497812897
Thanks Loser  ;D ;D ;D

Yeah I know you needed my aprvual little buddy..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

drowndin dots

« Reply #1356 on: Jun 18, 2017, 03:13 PM »

Yeah I know you needed my aprvual little buddy..
Always do big guy  :afro: :afro:

drowndin dots

« Reply #1357 on: Jun 24, 2017, 03:16 PM »

Well the battle against the pests has officially begun.... Lisa's potted garden is under attack by slugs and something is chomping away at my brussles sprouts and beans. Went to town with some fruit tree spray as it seems to tackle a wide variety of pests and diseases too, my little orchard has some rust. Beautiful out today, great breeze and no humidity! 

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #1358 on: Jun 24, 2017, 04:08 PM »
A rabbit ate half of one of my cantaloupe plants, I only had two. The same with my butternut squash... the war begins, two woodchucks already paid the price!
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1359 on: Jun 24, 2017, 05:30 PM »
Yeah...it's critter time. I'm after a chipmonk and a couple red squirrels. Also killed my first Japanese Beetle today. Found it on my Morning Glories.

Time for Some Malathion I guess. Everything else looks great. Growing like crazy.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #1360 on: Jun 24, 2017, 05:33 PM »

Well, that's a wrap. All planted and starting to take off. Scaled way back this year and gave everything more space to see if less is really more. I have Hungarian wax peppers, orange and purple bell, red hot cherry, a beefsteak,early girl, 1000's sweet and yellow plumb tomatoes, 4 market more, 4 bush and 12 bush picking cukes. 4 zucchini and 4 Brussel sprouts. Decided to try a little pallet planter for my strawberry plants, they seem to like it so far. Peas and beans on the far side are 50 percent sprouted, still have to go get some chicken wire for them to climb. Man, I'm so happy to spend time in the yard in this beautiful weather! Happy Fathers day to all the great Dads on here ;D

Looks great!

Novice question, but what type of weed guard is that? I have been wanting to do that for years but always felt cheap landscaping paper just won't cut it.

Thanks in advance!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1361 on: Jun 24, 2017, 06:10 PM »
Don't know what DD uses, but I buy Premium Weed barrier from Lowes. I use it in some of my beds, not all.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

boondox

« Reply #1362 on: Jun 24, 2017, 07:25 PM »
We been using this stuff $19.99 for 3 x50 foot.. don't forget the staples that holds this stuff down.. with out it we never would have gotten it done... we even use colored wood chips for the land scaping design.. 

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Sta-Green-Ultimate-Landscape-Fabric-Common-3-ft-x-50-ft-Actual-3-02-ft-x-50-17-ft/50119485

drowndin dots

« Reply #1363 on: Jun 24, 2017, 07:49 PM »

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1364 on: Jun 25, 2017, 05:11 AM »
That's a decent price for a 4'x225' roll. I think the stuff I use is 3x150 for $20. Don't buy the staple. Get a small roll of 10gauge galvanized wire. Suspended ceiling tie wire works well too. All you need is a pair of side cutters and you're in the staple business.

This year I'm experimenting with weed barrier and compost mulch on one side and no barrier or mulch on the other side.the only thing I've noticed so far is that the cukes on the mulched side are growing much faster than the other side. But it could be because they're partially shaded by my asparagus forest.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.