FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513798 times)

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1425 on: Jul 21, 2017, 04:01 PM »
With a few set backs with the tomatoes, butternut squash and cantaloupe things are really starting to turn around.

Carrots and onions.

Tomatoes took a beating winds and cold rainy spring, had to replant them.

The butternut and cantaloupe were eaten up by woodchucks, they are bouncing back well.

Should be picking peppers in a few days...

Potatoes plants keep growing and are blossoming

Good crop of blueberries and grapes!

Chicks are doing well too...

KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1426 on: Jul 21, 2017, 06:43 PM »
Looks great Bart. Wish I had that much room to grow.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1427 on: Jul 21, 2017, 07:12 PM »
Very nice Bart. Your girls look happy..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

bart

« Reply #1428 on: Jul 22, 2017, 05:47 AM »
Thanks! Took out my fourth woodchuck this morning, it was snacking on my carrots...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1429 on: Jul 22, 2017, 07:26 AM »

Great stuff guys! I gotta take some pictures after the yard chores are done today, but my garden is beginning to recover from the rain and I have made a few small harvests.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1430 on: Jul 22, 2017, 05:51 PM »
Well, the pickle harvest grew substantially this morning. I'll be canning tomorrow.

Separated into small medium and picklesaurus ;D

Pulled the garlic this morning. Won't need to buy any garlic for quite some time.

I plan on re-planting the garlic bed with radishes, spinach and chard. I'll wait a few weeks till the weather settles down. Late this fall I'll put garlic back in for next year.

The great news is I only murdered a dozen or so Japanese beetles today. In a  few weeks I'll treat for the grubs and again next spring in hopes of decimating the population. My son is a greenskeeper for a ocuntry club. I might have access to some really good grub killer :w00t: :w00t:

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

boondox

« Reply #1431 on: Jul 22, 2017, 06:06 PM »
Rg are you putting old rotten pumpkins in your soil then tilling it?? If so I was told not to tIll any edible matter in to soil cause the japenese bettle is attraced in from the rotting matter of squashes plant matter etc.. also find some Japanese betthe traps that poision the little sucker.. we tried dusting with seven little s.o.b.s. chew right threw the seven we had good cucumbers and squashes till the neighbor on the corner tilled pumpkins and squash etc under along with leaves etc..leaves are fine but it is the edible stuff that kills other plants when it nest they drop them selfs in soil like a grub and you got to treat all aspects best you can.. like you said sons a greens keeper so he should know about what to till under and what not to. Ask him and find out!! Read all about this searching the bug on michigan states college farmacollegy info from their on line pamplet's etc about the jap bettLe.. Search jap bettle then look for a msu link ls on how to prevent and treat infestations ..

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1432 on: Jul 22, 2017, 06:39 PM »
Nah...no rotten pumpkins here. The beetles had a banner year last season. Hot and dry..perfect conditions. That coupled with a moist spring and plenty of new grass roots to feed on, produced yet another good hatch. Prevention starts in a few weeks when the grubs start really feeding on the fall grass roots to fatten up for winter.

I'm pretty sure I've got a handle on what to do.

Rg

bart

« Reply #1433 on: Jul 22, 2017, 06:47 PM »
Rg, Your garden is well ahead of mine, those pickles look great! And I'd rather deal with woodchucks than those Japanese beetles...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1434 on: Jul 22, 2017, 07:21 PM »
Thanks Bart. The pickles are just in time. We're down to the last 4 slices in the last jar. Pickle withdrawal is beginning to set in. I've been treating my morning glories, Moon Flowers  and asparagus with Malathion. It kills the adults in a matter of minutes. Fortunately they haven't attacked my beans, peppers or tomatoes.

I wish I could break out the Sako .223 and put holes in them, but......the neighbors would complain and my eyes aren't quite that good any more ;D

Rg

boondox

« Reply #1435 on: Jul 22, 2017, 11:04 PM »
Nah...no rotten pumpkins here. The beetles had a banner year last season. Hot and dry..perfect conditions. That coupled with a moist spring and plenty of new grass roots to feed on, produced yet another good hatch. Prevention starts in a few weeks when the grubs start really feeding on the fall grass roots to fatten up for winter.

I'm pretty sure I've got a handle on what to do.

Rg

I know you got a handle on it just thought to mention this try these at link.. spectraside bag bug beetle traps.. kill them before you can poision them... so they cant lay grubs..  any way I am sure your son will mention some thing  similar .. this is why last year i mentioned the  not tilling under squashes etc.. with that new tiller you bought but since you already had them.. but any way bag a bug traps work so do the expand ones the poision and sent worKS wonders your cuckes/ squash plants  will thank you for it.. read direction don't put in garden but way down wind of it if you can direction say x amount away.. so it don't atract to garden..

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1436 on: Jul 23, 2017, 03:07 AM »
I appreciate the info Boon, but I'll pass on the traps. While they do attract beetles like crazy, they pull them in from up to a mile away. The additional beetles that don't end up in the trap, end up in your gardens.  The only way I'd use them would be to do a midnight raid and hang them in my neighbor's trees. Or better yet, just hang the attractant.

But that wouldn't be very neighborly would it?

As I mentioned, they haven't done any massive damage to anything. None of my veggies are any worse for wear. Although, the few strawberries I planted in the troughs, have been chewed on pretty good. They eat the blossoms and seem to prefer white flowers over other colors. I have some Eskimo Marigolds they went after for a few days and they liked my white Petunias. But, both  look just fine.

The big attraction was my Morning Glories and Moon Flowers. Again, they both produce prolific foliage and it actually made it easy to mass murder the little munchers. They ate a few leaves but that's about all.

RG

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1437 on: Jul 23, 2017, 09:12 AM »
PICKLEMANIA HAS BEGUN :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Set up and ready to go.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1438 on: Jul 23, 2017, 09:14 AM »
Im so jealous................ :P
I can smell them from here.... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1439 on: Jul 23, 2017, 10:48 AM »

Bob, you should get the explorer stove from Cabellas and do your canning outside ;) I picked a few yesterday and the rest are flowering like crazy, about to give the garden a bloom boost  :w00t:  won't be long now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.